Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (Level 1, Day 1)

Options
O. M. G. !!
Was anyone ~really~ able to do this when they started? I never quit moving, but I really wanted to sit on the floor and cry because I'm so obviously so badly out of shape! And I don't even HAVE the weights yets. It was the cardio that tried to do me in (I just walked in place for a lot of that).

She may have 400 pound people that do jumping jacks, but this 240lb woman about DIED.

Please tell me it's going to get easier! My whole body feels like jello!

Motivation to continue is ~greatly~ needed and would be ~much~ appreciated!

(What I learned today: I have ZERO upper body strength!)

Replies

• msqdpie
    msqdpie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Bump,.....Till the morning, I got lots on this one!
    :wink:
  • kayleighmarie04
    Options
    Its tough but dont give up! Keep trying. They tell you to keep moving even if you cant do what they are doing. So thats good that you stuck with it. Good job
  • kiss1995
    Options
    Hang in there!!! When I first started working out I did okay. Then I stopped working out for a few months and when I started again, OMG!!!! is right..I quickly lost my strength...Keep going!! Stopping is the worst! :)
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    LMAO! I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing because I did shed a few tears in level two! I was down on my knees and was thinking, 'what the fu*k is wrong with the psycho b*tch"????

I'm on level three now.

It gets easier. Just stick with it. You survived day one and you should be super proud of that!

My body is looking so crazy awesome now because of 30DS.

It really works and it really does get easier :)
  • GkMusic
    GkMusic Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It will definitely get easier and the results are well worth it! Keep at it!
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    i only had the video for 5 days but i did it for those 5 and i also had a hard time and was like well if they can do it so can i. well i had to skip a few here and there and go much slower. the first 2 days i was horribly sore but then it was better, im not going to say easier becasue there is nothing easy about it... but it will pay off i think :-)
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    It gets way easier! You will be amazed at how much your body will change in a short amount of time. It is most definitely worth it. Keep at it, and I bet by day 4 you will be laughing at how hard it was on day one!

Good luck!
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ummm yeah i felt like i was going to die ... during and after! .. My advice: Maybe just do half of the video tomorrow (your going to be sore) .. but then after tomorrow, do the WHOLE program straight through .You really have to work through the pain .. that is the one thing Jillian wants to teach people. ... Just realize that the results are going to be amazing!

Good luck .. You can TOTALLY do this .. It's been done before =)
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    LMAO! I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing because I did shed a few tears in level two! I was down on my knees and was thinking, 'what the fu*k is wrong with the psycho b*tch"????

I'm on level three now.

It gets easier. Just stick with it. You survived day one and you should be super proud of that!

My body is looking so crazy awesome now because of 30DS.

It really works and it really does get easier :)

THANK YOU! I was totally thinking that today!
    It's good to know that I'm not alone in my struggle with working out. I'll keep on trying.
    Thanks all! :)
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    I lucked out and started doing a stroller fitness class back in April on Sat mornings that does a lot of the moves. It definitely helped, but it is still a hard workout. I still do modified push-ups once my arms get tired. Hang in there it will get easier as you get stronger.
  • junekmoore
    Options
    I have done it and it is pretty tough. Try Kendall Hogan's "Fatburning Cardio Attack" or Chris Freytag's "10 pound extreme Kickbox" and maybe even Billy Blanks Jr "Burn it up dance cardio" in full length. Amy Dixon's 20 minute kickbox is good too just do it twice.
    After a while you will be ready for Jillian.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think the 30DS can be very UNsafe. It's extremely high impact, she doesn't teach you the moves very well and she has you doing a lot of things that could really, seriously injure you. The warm up is not nearly enough for what she has you do and the cool down is not nearly enough. Even the "modified" moves can really injure you.

I listen to my body. If I feel like I'm going to die doing the jumping jacks, I'll do a few easy jacks to get my heartrate up then switch to briskly stepping back and forth with full arm motion. Same goes for any of her excercises, I do it the best I can, in the best form I can at my level. I push myself, but I'm not going to hurt myself in the process.

I've read about a LOT of people getting knee injuries, ankle injuries and slipped discs from the 30DS. Listen to your body, do your best, but don't let Jillian bully you in to hurting yourself.

I usually take a quick 10-15 minute walk before starting 30DS so my muscles really are warmed up, and I ALWAYS do a 10 minute flexibility pilates cool down afterward to keep from being so sore.

I take breaks too, do 3 days in a row then take one day off or whatever works for you. Muscles need repair time after strength training. Any trainer will tell you that. Trust me, Jillian sweetie is in it for the money, not for her love of humanity.
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    You should take measurements too. You will see results there big time when you finish it
  • CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    One more question...
    Do you do level one for ten days, level 2 for ten days, and level 3 for ten days?
    Or 30 days each?
    Or whatever the heck you can do?

Thanks again!
    :happy:
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    One more question...
    Do you do level one for ten days, level 2 for ten days, and level 3 for ten days?
    Or 30 days each?

Thanks again!

i do each level until it starts becoming easy. if it's every 10 days, great, if i need longer/shorter time, i do that :) i'm on my second round of the shred and day 21. i'll probably start level 3 tomorrow or the next day.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    You did great! If you feel beat down, that means you gave it your all. Good for you!

The next 3 days will test your resolve, tho. That jello-feeling is going to turn into some seriously sore muscles, especially your thighs. Stairs will make you want to cry...squatting to sit on the pot is even worse! (I actually asked Hubs to install a handicapped handrail next to ours!)

But do not despair...by day 4, the soreness fades and you begin to get a feeling of accomplishment. You are stronger, and you feel your body start to change. I used Advil and hot showers (with a blast of cold at the end) to help with the soreness. Do whatever you have to, but DO NOT QUIT! Watch your knees on the jacks...my daughter tore a tendon. But she didn't quit; she just did high knees and jump ropes instead.

When you finish the 30 days, you will be amazed at yourself! 30DS and Ripped In 30 gave me the courage to do Supreme 90, and Hubs and I are now in week 4 of P90X!! You got this!
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    One more question...
    Or 30 days each?

Thanks again!

I've seen lots of people say that, but I haven't found any confirmation of that anywhere on what you are actually supposed to - if you're supposed to take breaks, or do it every day, etc. It's certainly not on the DVD anywhere. Maybe she says it in level 2 or 3 or something. I haven't gotten past level 1.
  • eep610
    eep610 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can totally sympathize. I started the 30 Day Shred today too. I did it several years ago and I know it works. I'm quite a bit older than you so I know if I can do it so can you. We'll just do the best we can and keep moving forward. With perseverance in 30 days we'll be looking back and wondering what all the fuss was about!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    It will! i'm on day 7 or 8 and i used to take about 3-5 few second breaks but i'm down to only 1 and i walk in place. what you are doing is so awesome! i know i wanted to cry the first day. walking in place is a great way to keep your heart rate up. that upper body strength will come. i used 1 pound cans of beans until yesterday because i had no weights! Great job getting started. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!
  • 05saleengirl
    Options
    Usually by day 3 it gets noticably easier. I just did L1D1 tonight...just got done. And I have restarted this a few times...life will happen and I fall off the badwagon. I am hoping to actually stick with it this time! And yeah....I struggled through it tonight...it made me realize how out of shape I am!!