Questions about C25K on a treadmill

kcdrake
kcdrake Posts: 512
edited October 4 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I really want to start C25K tomorrow. But since it is still dark when I wake up, I wouldn't feel comfortable running outside. My only option is to run on the treadmill, which I'm not a huge fan of doing. Can anyone give any advice on successfully completing C25K on a treadmill?

Replies

• sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    Go at a slight incline to get a better feel of what it would feel like to run outside.
  • C25K is a great program. You can follow it on the treadmill easily but try to get outdoors for your runs. It just makes you feel like a runner sooner :)
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    bump your incline to at least 1.5

I like the treadmill because it forces me to keep an even tempo. Bumping your incline up from nothing (or 1) helps simulate outside more normally.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Find your comfortable walk pace and your run pace and just follow. I agree you will need to work on running outside when you can because it is different.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    I did almost all of my initial "learning to run" on a treadmill because I started running last February in Colorado and it was like 12 degrees below zero the first week...lol...over the spring and summer I switched to mostly running outside because I was training for a half marathon and needed to run on different surfaces. Now that the weather is changing, I'm back to doing some runs on the treadmill, although I get way more bored than I used to. But for a beginner, the treadmill won't hurt you. Try to mix it up with outside runs when you can get friends to go with you, or maybe on the weekend when you can get out later and it's light outside? If you do run outside, wear reflective tape/reflectors on your clothes, and try to stick to populated lighted areas.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Cover the display so you can't obsess over it and psych yourself out that you've gone this far or that far.. Put ANOTHER timer up so you can track your time progress and don't worry in the slightest about what speed you are going (the display should be covered) ... Find some music that you can move to and enjoy it. It's all about meeting the times, not how fast or how far you are going ... I found myself obsessing over the displays and letting it psych me out ...
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    I started doing it on the treadmill, just search the web for the treadmill version. it helped me a lot.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Thank you everybody for your tips. I'm going to try to get a run in outside on the weekends, but other than that I'm kind of stuck on the treadmill. I'll try increasing the incline a bit to make it more like running outside. I figure running on the treadmill is better than not exercising at all, so there's really no good reason NOT to do it. :laugh:
  • sryan8408
    sryan8408 Posts: 244
    I had no idea there was a treadmill version! Thanks for sharing!!!!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    KimertRuns13_1 Posts: 702 Member
    Set the incline to 2% so that it is the same as running outside. Then like someone else said find your comfy walk pace and run pace and just go. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.