A Marathon Goal - not just a weight goal...

Some years ago, I woke up one morning and decided that in order to help with my consistency with my weight and fitness goal, I'd set a goal to run a marathon. (I was also working on my patience at the time with myself.)

So, I went online and just arbitrarily chose the prettiest scenic marathon I could find. I signed up for a marathon training course then decided what my weight needed to be at that time and backed into my weight goals.

1 Marathon turned into 2 and became trail running in the mountains. Now, I do the same on the beach. I found that establishing goals in the gym and/or for a race helped me mentally with patience and with myself and deadlines because it inspired me (or drove me) to stay on course with my weight and my eating habits. Scheduled runs, walks, and fitness competitions gave me an end result to strive for helping me with my focus on my weight and were incredibly fun! I chose some that provided me with short term results and some that were later in the calendar year. I knew that if I weighed a certain amount, I felt better during a run or at a particular level. Just another means to a desired end...and perhaps it'll work for you.

Replies

• RunFree
    RunFree Posts: 5
    Some years ago, I woke up one morning and decided that in order to help with my consistency with my weight and fitness goal, I'd set a goal to run a marathon. (I was also working on my patience at the time with myself.)

So, I went online and just arbitrarily chose the prettiest scenic marathon I could find. I signed up for a marathon training course then decided what my weight needed to be at that time and backed into my weight goals.

1 Marathon turned into 2 and became trail running in the mountains. Now, I do the same on the beach. I found that establishing goals in the gym and/or for a race helped me mentally with patience and with myself and deadlines because it inspired me (or drove me) to stay on course with my weight and my eating habits. Scheduled runs, walks, and fitness competitions gave me an end result to strive for helping me with my focus on my weight and were incredibly fun! I chose some that provided me with short term results and some that were later in the calendar year. I knew that if I weighed a certain amount, I felt better during a run or at a particular level. Just another means to a desired end...and perhaps it'll work for you.
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Congratulations. Those goals sound great and I can imagine, very fulfilling. I have to admit that I'm intimidated even by the word "marathon." So, you go girl! You're an inspiration!