If you like ranch on your salads...

Options
13»

Replies

• Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I do I eat the Kraft Reduced Fat/Calorie Light Ranch, it's pretty good i've gotten used to it now and it doesn't bother me like it used to. Tried the Walden Farms 0 Calorie, really dont like it, too watery/vinegar based, i'll stick to my light ranch and use less of it, don't put as much dressing on salad these days, sometimes use none or just some olive oil & vinegar.
  • StrengthIDidntKnow
    StrengthIDidntKnow Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like ranch on salads (but I do on baked potatoes) but here is a homemade recipe from skinnytaste.com. All of her stuff I have ever made has been amazing. This is 52 calories for a 1/4 cup! That's 4 tablespoons...and most are about that much for 2 tablespoons. I'd try it if I were you :)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/09/low-fat-buttermilk-ranch-dressing.html

This is on my list of things from her website to make. I haven't made anything from her website that I didn't like.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE ranch. I used to dip my pizza crust in it. Perhaps this is the reason I am now in this predicament?

I love to dip veggies in it. Mmmmm carrots in Ranch was a favorite of mine.

I love to pour it on salads with extra croutons.

I used to make my own ranch and I even made homemade mayo to make it extra extra good.

I hate the fat free stuff from the bottle. YUCK.

Now I don't make ranch anymore because you can't just make a small amount and it doesn't last long once you make it. If I made a lot, I'd eat the whole amount and I can't be doing that so I just don't make it.

I miss it, but since I don't eat croutons or pizza right now anyway I guess I don't really need the ranch.

I now use extra virgin olive oil and lemon on my salads or I make my own Italian or Lebanese dressing.

I dip my carrots in hummus
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Add a bit of low fat buttermilk. You'll still love the dressing and have fewer calories and fat.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I use Kraft fat free. It's okay, not AS good, but I don't use a lot of ranch and it does the trick for me! Sometimes I mix it with some cottage cheese and use it as a veggie dip. Really good and adds lots of protein :) I haven't tried this on a salad yet but I think it would be good.
  • jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just had a salad for dinner and all I ever use is fresh salsa. I get it at my local grocery store and it is 10 calories in two tablespoons. YUMMY! Also, if it is spicy, it makes me feel like I am eating more and in turn I get fuller quicker.
  • newton2
    newton2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I to love ranch dressing but I decided that I really wanted to lose weight this time and keep it off !! lol so I have been using oil and vinegar flavored rice vinegar it took a good week to get used to it but now it is fine I have lost 30 in 7.5 weeks . Good Luck!!!!!!!
  • Shanahan09
    Options
    I love ranch dressing as well. Kinda quirky, but this is what I do. I dip my fork in the dressing first ( 1 tbsp of it in a small dish) then I stab my salad. Saves on calories because I usually never use it all--as well, I also get the perfect amount of dressing with every bite! There's just some things I won't give up, and ranch is one of 'em! :tongue:
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    ranch-1.jpg
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • fitaliciag
    Options
    if you get the right kind of ranch and stick to the serving size.....maybe it's not so bad. but I wouldn't want to waste the allowances on it. get the "light" stuff and pay attention to labels.
  • shedoos
    shedoos Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I use regular dressings, but a trick my mom learned at her "classes" when she was first diagnosed with Diabetes works great:

Put the dressing in a small cup on the side. Dip your fork in the dressing and then in your salad. I can eat a huge salad with just a tablespoon of dressing in this way and don't really feel deprived.
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I am the same as you, love my dressing..I still use Ranch but switched to 3 cheese ranch from Kraft...key to salads is to add your dressing in a bowl with a lid, the shake the crap out of it too make your tbsp go far...i also like honey dijon from our compliments and it is lower calorie....the way I see it, if I am eating big ole plate of salad, I can keep my dressing :)

^^^^this is the best way to make your salad. measure it out and shake, shake, shake. that way every piece gets dressing on it and you won't go over and use too much.
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    moderation, just like everything else. :)
  • awkwwward
    Options
    There's a vegan ranch salad dressing by Follow Your Heart that's way better for you than most "store" brands and nice, thick & creamy. I highly recommend it or making your own.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I never buy bottled ranch dressing anymore since I tried using the packets. It's so much better made at home! When I'm watching calories, I use reduced fat mayo & 2% milk to make it. It doesn't taste anything like "light" dressing, which to me is disgusting. Try it!!
  • hate2run
    hate2run Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I like ranch as well. I use a little bit and also mix with franks hot sauce or salsa. If you put your salad in a tupperware container and top with the dressing then put lid on and shake it you will use way less dressing. (This tosses it all over it & you still will be able to taste it)