lower and upper heart rate?!?!

Options
so how do u figure out ur lower and upper heart rate for a HRM?? my HRM has so crappy instructions. also can someone tell me wwhere to put the chesr strap lol i suppose it prob is a dumb questions so mayby imma dumb person lol

Replies

• abcerc
    abcerc Posts: 58
    Options
    bump
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I googled several different websites and used the online calculators. Then I took the average for the high and low.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    220 minus your age to get an estimated max heart rate. 55% of that number is your low and 85% is your high. The strap goes right below your bra line.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Mine set the upper and lower heart rate for me so I guess it really depends what model you got.

The strap should go right under your bra, pretty much just under your breasts and the monitor part should be right in front.
  • himiller3
    Options
    This link should help explain your heart rates:

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

Chest strap goes just below the breast line.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My personal experience tells me to ignore the formulas. If I followed "220 minus my age" recommendation I'd have to spend my life sitting on the couch.

Find the heart rate where you are a little out of breath, but can still carry on a conversation. This should be your target for long running activities like riding a bike or jogging. You can find your maximum heart rate by running an all out sprint on the treadmill or some other activity that is the maximum you can perform. This will be your "Max". Take 80 percent of your max and that should be your target for a vigorous workout.

This advice is comes from my experience as an amateur. Just experiment and you'll find your own targets.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    220 minus your age to get an estimated max heart rate. 55% of that number is your low and 85% is your high. The strap goes right below your bra line.
    so im 22 so the lower would be 119 and upper 149??? does tht sound right???
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Heart rates vary by person. I know for me 149 would be way too low, and I'm 47. Have you worn it at all while you're working out? What did it show?
  • BrentGetsFit
    Options
    55% would be 109 and 85% would be 168
  • BrentGetsFit
    Options
    Double post, sorry.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    55% would be 109 and 85% would be 168
    ah lol so i had it too high on lowr :p i looked it up n did it so i guess it had it wrong :P thank u :) ill fiz it