Polar HRM vs. BodyMedia

Options
Any thoughts on how Polar HRM compares to BodyMedia? Are they considered the same type of equipment?

Replies

• lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread, I've been eyeing the Polar HRM lately. Would like to know what other users thought as well. *thumbs up*
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Polars or any other HRM are designed to be worn only while exercising. Bodybuggs or BodyMedias are designed to be worn all day.
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Have to weigh pros and cons of each. I own a bodybugg, so below is what I say with regard to it. With HRMs, I have friends who own both a bodybugg and an HRM (a polar) and says that the calculation between the two is pretty close. With some HRMs, they are waterproof to a certain degree and can be used with activities like cycling. With HRMs, there are inexpensive models and very expensive. I don't know if cheap in price equates to cheap in manufacturing thus equating to inaccuracy. But at least it's better than using the machines.

Bodymedia/Bodybugg:

Pros - Pretty accurate (or so they say), can be worn all day, uses multiple criteria to calculate caloric burn (temp, body temp, sweat - for electrical conduciveness, 3 axis motion)

Cons - Not accurate for activities such as cycling, not waterproof, must maintain a monthly service

One thing I will say though, is check out the MotoACTV. I'm waiting for this to come out in a couple of weeks (11.6.11). Its basically like an iPod nano, but with an android OS and is geared toward fitness. It has GPS in it and a HRM through the headphones. Google it and check out the site. It sounds rather cool. I figure I'll get it, and if I don't like it, I'll just give it to my sister or something. lol

https://www.motoactv.com/