Anxiety chest pains, no work out?

Options
I've had chest pains all day from anxiety, so I don't think it would be a good idea to do any cardio, but would weight training be a bad idea? I hate not working out for more than two days in a row, and yesterday I didn't because it was my rest day :(

Replies

• bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    You'd have to talk to a doctor or therapist to know the answer to that. However, if working out relaxes you, I would do it.
  • cmonskinnylovee
    Options
    You'd have to talk to a doctor or therapist to know the answer to that. However, if working out relaxes you, I would do it.

It doesn't necessarily relax me, but not working out definitely stresses me out.

I called the Dr today (he says to call him when this happens) but the receptionist told me she'd have him call me back and he never did :(
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I've ran while having an anxiety attack and it made breathing harder. Like the above poster said if it relaxes you do it, but maybe a walk or bike ride? Make sure you breathe correctly if you are going to do weights.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do cardio with anxiety chest pains. Do some lifting, but do some breathing exercises while working out. Are you familiar with the 7-4-8 breathing for anxiety attacks? (breathe in for 7 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 8 seconds) The breathing will relax you.
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I use to have anxiety so bad I didn't want to do anything, but I had found that the best way for me was to get my mind off of it because when you have that anxiety and the more you think about it the more you feel it. So I would exercise to help me with that, But there were some underlying issues on why I was having all this anxiety so I talked with my doctor and a therapist and worked through it, now I don't have it at all. I would seriously consider speaking with a mental health professional if you have some things that are bothering you. It doesn't mean you have mental health issues but they are the best to talk to. And I haven't had any problems with anxiety for over 15 years now.
  • Beberni
    Beberni Posts: 25
    Options
    I've suffered from anxiety attacks for quite some time. I've actually had several in the middle of running. I just learned to talk to myself and say just to relax, that I'm not going to die from the attack, its nothing to worry about. Exercising is suppose to help the attacks but I don't always find that it does. I'm just learning to deal with them. I'd never get to exercise if I had to rely on them to stop one day. But yes, you have to learn to breathe through it. If I'm running I take deep long breathes to help.
  • GrammyWhammy
    GrammyWhammy Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    As a heart patient and a concerned member of MFP I strongly urge you to see your Dr. before working out again. If the Dr. doesn't call back, be pro-active and follow up tomorrow or get a new Dr. Meanwhile, there are plenty of things you can do to relax and relieve stress. Walking, listening to relaxing music, meditating, yoga, light free weights, and so on. But you really must rule out more serious problems. If you are stressed because you are not working out, and at 120 pounds that shouldn't cause so much anxiety, you need to discuss this with a mental health provider.

And no, it does not mean you are "mentally ill." It means you need some advice and perspective and are responsible/mature enough to seek it.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't... I tried to one day and had a massive panic attack. I almost blacked out on the elliptical. Maybe go for a walk instead? Sitting still always makes my anxiety worse.
  • frmeital
    Options
    I don't know about exercising, but the next time you have chest pain from anxiety, this is how to stop it:

The symptoms of anxiety attack will positively respond to anxiety-control techniques, like deep breathing and relaxation exercises. Here is one powerful technique to stop chest pain in a few seconds. It is best done sitting but can also be done standing or lying down:

1. Sit with your back straight and your hands in your lap or on your thighs. Close your eyes. While doing this keep the tip of your tongue touching the top of your mouth. When you inhale – do it through your nose. Exhale through your mouth. Ready?

2. Start inhaling slowly for 4 seconds (count them in your head not out loud). Push out your stomach and fill your lower lungs first like that. Then the rest of the lungs are filled.
    Hold your breath for until you count to 7.
    Exhale comfortably for 8 seconds. Try to imagine that all the anxiety is leaving your body while you are exhaling. You are letting it go.
    Pause for 2 seconds without inhaling (very important) and do this one more time.
    Repeat until you feel your chest pain gone. And it will be!

Source: http://www.natural-alternative-therapies.com/chest-pain-and-anxiety/