Replies

• miggyxstardust
    miggyxstardust Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I just started last night on the treadmill. My settings were:

Incline: 2.0
    Run speed: 6.0 mph
    Jog speed:4.5 mph

It wasn't that bad in the beginning of the run, but for the last few sets I really had to push through it, and I could tell my form was bad. I'm so happy that I completed it! I'm planning on doing it again tonight, but we'll see how it goes.
  • yasemasuyo
    yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    BerryH, what a wonderful post! I am so motivated to do this, just finished my 5th day at week 1 with a smile on my face! Wondering if I am ready to move on to week 2 - how do you know?!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    BerryH, what a wonderful post! I am so motivated to do this, just finished my 5th day at week 1 with a smile on my face! Wondering if I am ready to move on to week 2 - how do you know?!
    Aww thanks, how sweet of you to say :blushing:

But more importantly, CONGRATULATIONS! You are a runner :happy:

If you finished with a smile on your face, you are absolutely ready to move on! Start the week at a slightly slower pace than you finished last week and speed up a little on later sessions if you feel comfortable. You can do this!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I was really nervous about getting to the further weeks in the program, I still can't see myself running for over 10 minutes at a time, but I will take the advise of not moving on until I am completely ready!
    10 minutes is a big psychological and physical barrier to overcome - see in my blog post about the "toxic 10 minutes" - but once you've passed that by taking it as slowly as you need and believing in yourself, anything is possible!
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    well I DID IT!! day 1 done! it wasn't nearly as hard as I was afraid it would be, I did only run at a slow jog, like someone else said, my runs were only 4mph to start off with, there were times I definately felt I could go faster, but I didn't want to not make it through the whole thing, I assume my speed will come with time too.

I hope everyone else that started today did well too! I acutally liked it, and I didnt feel like I was staring at the timer waiting for it to end! Hope it stays like that.

Well done!! It's a great plan and I love it too :-)
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Absolutely wonderful news!!! Go for it with everything you've got. You're gonna love it if you stick to the training and don't cheat yourself. I've ran four 5k's this year, trained twice and am still running and loving it!!! As others have said, it is very exhilarating, HARD WORK, but addicting. I must run one more 5k before year end and then immediately after, I'm hoping to begin training for my first 10k Run.

Did I say this was addicting!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

God speed in your endeavors .....

P.S. If at all possible, do try to run outside as opposed to training on a treadmill (when you can--winter is coming, so not sure how durable running outside is for you). The run is a bit harder outdoors, but you build up your endurance, breathing, rhythm and stamina when doing so. Just some friendly advice.

Yeah!!! Listen to this lady...My running buddy :) we've done this together! Having a buddy to cheer you on makes it so worth doing.

Try to run at least one day not on the treadmill..it makes a HUGE difference :) Get Good shoes and some cold weather gear (places like marshalls and target have stuff at reasonable prices)...and just keep moving. Don't do too much even though you will DESPERATELY want to. And yes it IS ADDICTIVE...it's gets to the point that you crave it like a bucket of chocolate...THEN the HIGH sets in when you're done. I cried when I ran my first mile without stopping!!! There's no feeling like it!

Good luck and any new C5K people feel free to add me if you'd like some support...Goodness was given to me ^ and I'd love to pass it on!
  • conchita962
    Options
    Just started last night! Ran on the streets and did 2 miles in the 20 mins and was happy with myself since I have NEVER EVER liked running and have always sucked at it! I actually had a good time and kinda wanted to keep going but knew to pace myself. What really helped me was downloading the RunKeeper App and entering in the C25K program as a custom. That way, the "Lady voice" was always in my ear telling me my pace, distance time and when to move to the next interval. It was great! I think we should all stick together and keep posting here. I NEED to go get me some proper shoes this weekend :)

Great job!! I use the C5K and runkeeper too..good programs! A good website for shoes at good prices joesnewbalanceoutlet.com I recommend starting out with no less than 740's
  • conchita962
    Options
    how many days a week is everyone doing it? its set up as 3 days a week, but do you do it everyday, and just move to the next week, or do you do it 3 days a week with rest days in between?

Make sure you rest!!!!!!! Shin splints are a royal pain and will set you back!!! You can cross train on other days...biking...elliptical...etc. Be very careful doing to much too fast!
  • bheimbrock
    bheimbrock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great job!! I use the C5K and runkeeper too..good programs! A good website for shoes at good prices joesnewbalanceoutlet.com I recommend starting out with no less than 740's
    [/quote]

Thanks! Just finished week 1 last night! And UGHHH I wish I would have seen your post earlier. I went on Thursday to get shoes at "The Running Spot (our local running authority) and bought some New Balance 850 for $100. They are HALF that price on that website!!!!
  • kel9680
    kel9680 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    sorry I haven't been posting, been kinda busy and not on the computer much! I did manage to do week 1 and will be starting week 2 tomorrow! I managed to slowly increase my "run" speed each day, I say run loosely b/c I have increased up to 5mph, but I can run for a minute at that, hope everyone else that was starting has been continuing and having success with this too!
  • MrsFelton2010
    MrsFelton2010 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Plan on starting this week. Hopefully tomorrow :-)
  • miggyxstardust
    miggyxstardust Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So I started week 2 today. My run speed is 6.0 mph on the treadmill with an incline of 2.0. Today was a little challenging, but I'm happy to have completed it. I'm probably going to have to do the 3 days of week 2 in a row because I have a flight on Thursday, and I'll be busy until late Sunday night. Hopefully, if I don't do it all by Wendnesday, I'll find some time to run outdoors. My only concern is that I wouldn't know my pacing and times, but I guess that's what a real 5K will be like.
  • sgause1
    Options
    Im starting it today also...I dont have a treadmill, so Ill be doing it the old fashion way...lol.Lets do it together!!
  • conchita962
    Options
    So I started week 2 today. My run speed is 6.0 mph on the treadmill with an incline of 2.0. Today was a little challenging, but I'm happy to have completed it. I'm probably going to have to do the 3 days of week 2 in a row because I have a flight on Thursday, and I'll be busy until late Sunday night. Hopefully, if I don't do it all by Wendnesday, I'll find some time to run outdoors. My only concern is that I wouldn't know my pacing and times, but I guess that's what a real 5K will be like.

if you have a smart phone try the Runkeeper app...it's awesome..it will track hiking biking walking and running..it's tracks your time, distance, and pace !
  • bheimbrock
    Options
    Three questions for those who have finished the program:
    1) Week 5 day 3 they randomly throw in a 20 min run!!:noway: This scares the crap out of me! I've read that you will be surprised what your body can do by this time but I have to say; it's intimidating! So, just wondering how everyone else did on this day?
    2) I've read about breathing properly. I feel like I have an issue with this. Any tips?
    3) I want to do some exercising on my 'off' days but certainly not too much this early in the program. I was thinking some strength training but with a decent calorie burn? Any ideas?
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I had to take a little break due to knee pain but I have started back up and I am repeating week 2 at a little bit slower pace. I think I tried to do too much too soon. It's hard to pace yourself when you really want to give it your all but I now know I need to let my body adjust and not get ahead of myself. I would have been further along now if I had gone slower... go figure. Lol.
  • conchita962
    Options
    1) Week 5 day 3 they randomly throw in a 20 min run!!:noway: This scares the crap out of me! I've read that you will be surprised what your body can do by this time but I have to say; it's intimidating! So, just wondering how everyone else did on this day?
    2) I've read about breathing properly. I feel like I have an issue with this. Any tips?
    3) I want to do some exercising on my 'off' days but certainly not too much this early in the program. I was thinking some strength training but with a decent calorie burn? Any ideas?

You will shocked to find it will not be that bad...start out in a comfortable pace...don't look at the time and 20 min is nothing in 4 weeks you will be running 40!!!! Yes YES YOU WILL! Do NOT be your own worst enemy...talk yourself into kickin it in the *kitten*!!!! talk thru your run if you have to..I do it ALL the time. Listen to music, whatever.

As far as breathing--just relax, breath out thru your mouth in thru your nose...you'll get thru it and it does get easier once you get warmed up

Strength training is always good!!! you can do the elliptical and biking on off says too that will help endurance. CHALLENGE yourself too..don't wuss out!!

You CAN do this! I am almost 43 years old... i'm on the last day of week 9 and on Sunday I RAN 5 MILES...what's more amazing is that it was EASY!!!!!

~Dawn
  • NB_Eric
    NB_Eric Posts: 61
    Options
    Agreed with the post above, I have an iPhone running C25K and RunKeeper to track my distance/speed/route , it's an awesome combo! I'm on Week 4 now and can't wait to see Week 5!! If anyone wants to me a runkeeper buddy please let me know I could use folks on there to keep me pushing!
  • bheimbrock
    Options
    Agreed with the post above, I have an iPhone running C25K and RunKeeper to track my distance/speed/route , it's an awesome combo! I'm on Week 4 now and can't wait to see Week 5!! If anyone wants to me a runkeeper buddy please let me know I could use folks on there to keep me pushing!

Im on runkeeper and love the app as well!!! Add me if you would like (username is bheimbrock)
  • bheimbrock
    Options

You will shocked to find it will not be that bad...start out in a comfortable pace...don't look at the time and 20 min is nothing in 4 weeks you will be running 40!!!! Yes YES YOU WILL! Do NOT be your own worst enemy...talk yourself into kickin it in the *kitten*!!!! talk thru your run if you have to..I do it ALL the time. Listen to music, whatever.

As far as breathing--just relax, breath out thru your mouth in thru your nose...you'll get thru it and it does get easier once you get warmed up

Strength training is always good!!! you can do the elliptical and biking on off says too that will help endurance. CHALLENGE yourself too..don't wuss out!!

You CAN do this! I am almost 43 years old... i'm on the last day of week 9 and on Sunday I RAN 5 MILES...what's more amazing is that it was EASY!!!!!

~Dawn

Awesome, thanks Dawn!!!