13.1 joggers?

Options
So like many of you here, exercise hasn't always been on my priority list... Learning to love an exercise was a huge accomplished for me. The first time I crossed the finish line for my first 5k I cried. In may I completed my first half marathon! This is a very a big accomplishment and something I am beyond proud of. My husband bought me a 13.1 magnet for my car. Today I was leaving the running store and I was walking towards my car. A couple was walking past my car and one says to the other "really? 13.1 and you think you deserve a magnet." the other one giggles and says "silly joggers". I was crushed and hurt and worst off pissed. If I didn't have my two year old attached to me I would have said something, and I know it would not have been good.
Maybe it's nothing to them, but to me, it was one of the most incredible feelings to cross that finish line. Just had to vent!

Replies

• sarahbarah25
    Options
    Jenn - 99% of runners are supportive and this sounds like a couple of arrogant *kitten*! That is a HUGE accomplishment ... Don't let anyone take that away from you! I'm proud for you!!!!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    You're amazing for what you have accomplished and those people are self righteous *kitten*!
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half right now. I CAN'T WAIT until I can put a 13.1 magnet on my truck! Keep up the great work :)
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Sounds like they aren't fellow runners!!! Only a fellow runner truly understands :-) I just bought my sticker and cannot wait to put it on my car proudly!!!!
  • stef_3
    stef_3 Posts: 173
    Options
    They're just haters!! Don't mind them. See if they run 13.1 when they have kids. We all know life with kids is a whole different world.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    There are going to be elitist *kitten*-waffles no matter where you go. You had the unfortunate chance to see a couple of them in person.

I have a 3.1 magnet on my car and could give a **** what anyone thinks of it. My first 5K was the best moment of my life, even though I've gone on to many more miles.

You wear that badge proudly.
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    True runners don't insult other runners. We are a cohesive pack. Sounds to me like they were wanna-be's shopping at a running store for athletic gear. Don't you dare feel bad...I too, can't wait until I can put that sticker on my car!
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I don't think they ever tried to run. Couch potatoes! Seriously be proud of yourself! It's an amazing accomplishment to have completed a half marathon. You rock!
  • jrusharound
    jrusharound Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A half marathon is something big! And when I do my first one in 3 weeks, I'm getting a magnet or license plate frame or something to show it off! Those people were rude! Continue to be proud girl! :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Wow...they are RUDE! Just ignore them! I am doing my first half marathon and will be proud! Why? Because two years ago I couldn't even run two minutes. They don't know you, and they don't know your story. Ignore negative people like that, and focus on those who give you support and love. :heart: Hold your head up! You're AMAZING! :flowerforyou:
  • JennBennett410
    Options
    Thanks everyone,,, I am cracking up now! Some people are just d-bags and such is life! Thankful for this site and all the support I get here!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well theres not at lot I can add to what others have said but they are right what you did was massive for you and you deserve to feel good so dont let others knock you down you have done well I have only started and no were near what you have done but hope to get there in a year or so lol but again well done
  • Kellie0710
    Kellie0710 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!? 13.1 miles is a HUGE accomplishment!!!! You should be soooo proud of that and dont let anyone ruin it for you =)
    I completed my first Half marathon in September and so far that is my greatest accomplishment =) and I plan on doing more in the future, even if I have to 'jog' or walk it!! lol
  • billtownsend
    billtownsend Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've done 4 and everyone was a challenge, you have every right to be proud and makes me wonder if the couple were even runners. You keep up the hard work, remember these knuckleheads when your having a hard run, great inspirations.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    A half marathon is a huge deal. I agree with everyone else here. Runners are usually very supportive of one and another. These were just rare elitist snobs. Don't let them bug you. They are probably miserable people who are only happy when putting other people down. Let karma take care of them and you display that magnet proudly!
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    There are going to be elitist *kitten*-waffles no matter where you go. You had the unfortunate chance to see a couple of them in person.

I have a 3.1 magnet on my car and could give a **** what anyone thinks of it. My first 5K was the best moment of my life, even though I've gone on to many more miles.

You wear that badge proudly.

where can I get one of them 3.1 magnets? :) at least you don't have people honking the horn and laughing at you like do to me, I just shoot them the bird keep on running = )
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    you said "a couple". A couple of what? I know what I am thinking... and a good reason NOT to carry a loaded weapon. LOL
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Seriously, some people!?!? I ran 10K (6.2Mile) last night, for the first time! It wasnt a race or anything. And i am soooooo proud of the fact i did it! Absolutely comendable to you for completing a half! I only dream i can one day do that! There would have been some expletives said if i was there, i tell you!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think they are runners. The fact that they said joggers indicates to me they don't take running seriously or don't run. I bet they have only run one marathon, if that and they walked most of it. I never let what others say about me bother me. I know how I feel and I know what I have achieved. I am running my first half marathon next month and I can't wait. All of my friends think it is a huge accomplishment that I am running a half marathon.

People like that are insecure and aren't worth a second thought.
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    agreed with everyones comments; those were losers, sorry you have to see them, ugh!! 13.1 miles is a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee accomplishment that people only dream about and others actually do and you fall into the second category, so kuddos to u and screw the losers!!