any suggestions on stress and dieting?

Options
Well hello everybody,

I got some crappy news today and it's really stressful. I dad fell and broke his hip today and it's bleeding on the inside. He's on blood thinners and the hospital is having trouble getting the bleeding to stop. He's having surgery tomorrow to repair it but the doctors and nurses already said that they'll be amazed if he makes it through it. So does anybody have any suggestions as for dealing with the stress? I almost starting eating to deal with it but managed to not do it. I just want to scream with all the stress that has hit me an then this has got me so beyond worried. It doesn't help that I'm in TN and he is in IL so it's not like I can go visit him. I know that can get through this if I really try I was just hoping that somebody have any suggestions.

Claudia

Replies

• Juggalette0327
    Options
    Well hello everybody,

I got some crappy news today and it's really stressful. I dad fell and broke his hip today and it's bleeding on the inside. He's on blood thinners and the hospital is having trouble getting the bleeding to stop. He's having surgery tomorrow to repair it but the doctors and nurses already said that they'll be amazed if he makes it through it. So does anybody have any suggestions as for dealing with the stress? I almost starting eating to deal with it but managed to not do it. I just want to scream with all the stress that has hit me an then this has got me so beyond worried. It doesn't help that I'm in TN and he is in IL so it's not like I can go visit him. I know that can get through this if I really try I was just hoping that somebody have any suggestions.

Claudia
  • MellyG426
    MellyG426 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear whats going on with your dad. My prayers go out to him and your family. I'm sure they are doing everything they can.

As for the stress factor and dieting. I find that I myself want to grab anything that will comfort me when I'm down or something is going on, as well. Instead of sabotaging all my hard work, I walk away from the demon food and try to either get some exercise or go somewhere where I can think. We tend to gravitate towards food when we have something missing in our lives. You being away from your dad would definitely be a trigger to do that.

With that being said, during this time, sometimes you need to just give into a craving so you can have some comfort. But only give in a little- so remember portions and in the end, you still have one the battle. Good luck with everything.
  • Juggalette0327
    Options
    Thank you for the prayer b/c he's going to need all he can get.

I have decided to eat some popcorn w/ the spray butter. Figured it was the best thing to eat if I was going to eat something. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    When I'm stressed, I want to put anything in my mouth, and it doesn't matter what it is. So I buy baby carrots and cherry tomatoes and diet soda or seltzer water, all which don't take preparation and are low in calories. And carrots are crunchy, so they get my aggression out.
    Also, sleep and hot showers help me a ton. When I'm sad, I go shopping. Even buying a new book or a pair of fun socks seems to pick me up. If someone is sick, or if I got someone mad, I'll buy them a little present. That makes me feel better
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Honestly exercise is the best thing for stress and mild depression, that and sex. Try to keep yourself as busy as possible so you're not so tempted
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Hey-- you know-- my husband got laid off last November-- when he got the call that he was being let go, I got the strangest calm about me knowing that I WASN'T going to drown my sorrows in food. It's hard to describe, but the comfort in knowing that I was doing something good for me despite all the hell around me, and that this "constant-- " the logging, the counting calories, the exercising-- was going to be very important.

If I lost control of my eating in an otherwise totally out of control time, it would have made it far worse.

Don't know if that made sense-- but it helped then, and it's still helping four months later, and still no job.
  • MyAngelAndMe2
    Options
    My prayers are with you.:heart:

Wanting to climb into the fridge whenever your stressed is a habit. You have done this for so long that you now do it without thinking. NOW...........all you have to do is replace this bad habit with a good one. But make sure that your new habit is doable. This is something you will have to be able to do no matter where you are or what you are doing (instead of running for food) They say that it takes 30 days to create a habit.....i believe its longer when your replacing a habit.....(from the experience of an ex-smoker). Pretty soon ( or sometimes not soon enough) your new habit will become the old habit.

Good Luck

Kristin
  • Juggalette0327
    Options
    Ok they're getting ready to take my dad into surgery. So to avoid the food I pulled out my wii sports and i'm going to box. I can defiently get some frustration out that way. Thanks for the suggestions everybody.