High Heart Rate

Options
So I just used my new HRM for the first time today. I did the same work out I usually do on Mondays and until now I have just been entering it in with what MFP has in the data base. I was expecting my calorie burn to be less then I usually track since the HRM would give me a more accurate count but I actually got a higher calorie burn. I have been told by doctors that my heart rate is slightly higher than normal so would this impact getting an accurate reading on my HRM? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just really trying make sure I track my calories as accurately as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    BUMP?
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i'm not a doctor, but i don't think that it would necessarily impact the accuracy of a HRM. remember that it's tracking your heart rate, (so how hard your body is working) and that MFP is only estimating based on your weight - MFP has no way to track your heart rate!

i would definitely ask your doctor though. he/she would know better.
  • espn21
    espn21 Posts: 15
    Options
    If you have an elevated heart rate...that just means that your hearts need to pump a little faster than normal to meet your bodies demands. Which in turn means you are going to burn more calories...because your HR is higher. This isn't necessarily bad, just make sure it NEVER gets to the point where its getting TOO high which can cause some pretty serious outcomes. Ive had some issues with my heart in the past, just be sure you stay on top of it with you doc and youll be good to go! :)
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's one reason I decided to invest in my HRM, to make sure my heart rate was staying in a safe zone. The doctor recommended that when I first found out I have a fast heart rate, but I have to admit I didn't really take it seriously until recently. Thanks for your help!