New diet = Gas/stomach issues

Options
Hey everybody, I've been very dedicated to eating healthy.. hardly any junk food, lots of whole grains, vegetables, and fruit. I started this about a week ago and ever since I have I've had lots of stomach pains, and some rather embarrassing gas. Is there anything I can do to help my body adjust to my new way of healthy living? Do you think its seriuos and something I should discuss with a doctor or is it just my body adjusting? HELP PLEASE!

Replies

• DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Beano works a little. Just takes your body some time to get used to all the fiber!
    Until then, solitary confinement! LOL :laugh: Or just keep blaming the dog :tongue:
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Same problem here, mostly when I eat fruit. Gas X works some..... :( I don't know if my body will get used to it or not; it's been almost five months. It may just be something to live with. :(
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Beano works a little. Just takes your body some time to get used to all the fiber!
    Until then, solitary confinement! LOL :laugh: Or just keep blaming the dog :tongue:

I love this!
    Open the windows and go to town :D
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    This is probably due to an increase in fiber intake (and/or protien). It will take your system a little while to adjust.

Probiotics (such as yogurt w/ live cultures) may help.
  • rebeccamareejones
    Options
    Yep sounds like its a fibre thing. Just make sure you're drinking plenty of water so you don't get 'clogged up'. As DawnOBRN has said just takes a little while to get used to. Is it possible to increase it gradually? Good luck!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Your body is definitely functioning to your new lifestyle. Give it some time and see how you feel after a while. If your body is so used to eating junk food and then to cut it off, it might go a little crazy. It's such a relief to your body, it may not know how to react at the moment.
  • Taskcr
    Taskcr Posts: 25
    Options
    What about the stomach pains? :-/ Its not very comfortable. I hope I adjust and this isnt just something I have to deal with.
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    FIBER!!!! Gotta love it! I use beano and gas-X and also take a probiotic supplement. Your body will adjust, just hang in there and dont give up!
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    What about the stomach pains? :-/ Its not very comfortable. I hope I adjust and this isnt just something I have to deal with.

Could be muscle. There are times, not to get too graphic here, that my stomach will hurt and I will have to keep going to the bathroom. My body is just having to readjust to something different.

I don't mean gaining muscle,but your stomach could be working overtime and you're having to push things out. Not too sure in your case. If you are really concerned, visit your doctor and see what he/she may think.
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Went through the same when I started using a fiber supplement. It'll steady out in a couple weeks. Your body is adjusting.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options

I would go see a dr to have your vitamin balance checked. It could just be an excess of potassium from the fruits/veggies. Anything your body doesn't use will most likely just come out in your pee or sweat. Your body's probably just getting used to the change. What are your average sodium, potassium and fiber counts?
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I would keep an eye on it and then maybe see a Doc.

Are you lactose intolerant? i found when I eliminated dairy from my diet, it really helped. also, some people are finicky with gluten.

if only a week + your body might still be adjusting.
  • Taskcr
    Taskcr Posts: 25
    Options
    Thank you so much everybody! I will try a probiotic supplement and some beano! Hopefully it helps out :o)
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Stop eating grains. You might be allergic to them. Take probiotics before each meal. Everyone should be taking probiotics.
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options
    Stop eating grains.

Show me on the doll where the bread touched you.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling-- in fact, I just ate a big salad and am having the gas/stomach pains. Unfortunately, for some of us it's just something you have to get used to. My diet's been pretty plant-based since I was a teenager, and my stomach problems are worse than they would be if I ate a lot of processed junk.
  • sjadams01
    Options
    Stop eating grains.

Show me on the doll where the bread touched you.

Thanks for the laugh!!!!!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I will also vote yes on the yogurt/probiotics.

You may also have a grain/wheat sensitivity (for example gluten intolerance or celiac disease) that the whole grains are exposing more acutely. Try cutting back on the grains in general as well. If it persists, a visit to the doctor is in order.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Yeah, a gluten sensitivity might be the problem if you're eating more grains than you used to, but it could just be an increase in fiber.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest tracking how much fiber you're getting in a day.. When I began to overdo it on the fiber, I had symptoms similar to what you listed..

Good luck on figuring out what it is!