Are inches really better than pounds?

Options
I have been exercising for about 2 months now. And so far I have lost only about four pounds, but about 13 inches total since my last measurements. Which makes a big DIFFERENCE in my appearance. I just was wondering are inches better than pounds, or are vise versa.

Replies

• LizC26
    LizC26 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah inches are better than pounds....What do other people see when they look at you----inches or pounds???? They see inches :)
  • DSummersCM
    Options
    Absolutely! I'm in the same boat, the weight is hardly changing but the inches are burning off and people can tell. I love it!
  • Fat2Fit2012
    Options
    wow couple days ago i was asking myself and my hubby the same question!
    I settled for Inches baby!!
    for one thing Inches mean less saggy skin while losing weight.. Inches mean toning those floppy arms :D
    So Heck ya to INCHES!!

loll a little excited here
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get smaller, and counting inches is a much better indicator of that. Plus ... 13 inches sounds much more rewarding than 4 pounds.

Nice work!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah inches are better than pounds....What do other people see when they look at you----inches or pounds???? They see inches :)

^ What she said!

People can see how you look just by looking at you. They only know how much you weight if they are peeking over your shoulder while you weight yourself. Use your scale as a guide but pay attention to how your clothes fit you, how you look and how you feel! Keep up the great work, you are doing fantastic! :flowerforyou:
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    YES!! I agree, other people get to see inches rather then a number. Also, when working out you gain muscle which helps you burn fat as well. So Inches are DEF. better!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is that a serious question. You are asking whether we'd rather look fat and weigh less, or be thin and weigh more. I'll take door #2 Monty.
  • sexy_FORD_girl
    Options
    Inches most definitely, because you are more than likely building lean muscle (which weighs more than fat), so in that case, weight is not a very accurate indicator.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Of course! People see ME-not the scale.
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    Body fat % before inches
    and
    inches before pounds
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I think its silly the way some people record how many inches lost.
    Let's see, I lost 2 off my forearm, 1 off my wrist, and I have two arms so that's 6 inches so far,
    and then I lost 1 off my ankle and 2 off my calves and 3 off my thighs, times 2 legs, so that's another 12 inches..
    and on and on.
    Maybe if the standard was just around the mid-section and combined with pounds lost, maybe put it in a ratio of inches to pounds like
    3 inches / 15 pounds or something.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    :smile: Thanks Guys! I don't mind the inches LOL honestly I love em. And yes, I am very pleased with the 13 inches and is hoping to loose wayy more of them.:wink:

So when did the pounds begin to come off for yall?
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Let's see, I lost 2 off my forearm, 1 off my wrist, and I have two arms so that's 6 inches so far,
    and then I lost 1 off my ankle and 2 off my calves and 3 off my thighs, times 2 legs, so that's another 12 inches..
    and on and on.
    Maybe if the standard was just around the mid-section and combined with pounds lost, maybe put it in a ratio of inches to pounds like
    Everyone have there own way of loosing weight and staying moitivated.. What works for some may not work for others. Maybe for you that helps, but for me taking all my measurments help me stay focused and motivated. It helps me know "hey, i was soaked with sweat and sore the nxt day from that workout and it payed off." Just like for others weighing themselves everyday is what motivates them.
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I agree, inches! I am stuck on the scale but my inches are doing great! almost 20 inches lost total in about 8 weeks! I'll take it!
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    and on and on.
    :laugh: I agree. If I wasn't in a measurement challenge this month, I'd only be measuring my waist and hips. That's really the only thing that matters to me when it comes to measuring.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I agree cm are better than kilograms.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
  • sweetpunani
    Options
    Hell ya! I've lost a lot of inches since I started.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Technically inches are more visible and will get in smaller clothes but I still feel more excited when I get on scale and its gone down by a significant amount and don't get the same feeling from knowing I've lost an inch or two off waist.

Yes, I'm thrilled to get from size 20-16 already, but I know it won't match how I'll feel when I get on wii fit one day next year and it tells me I've reached from 9 st 3 finally (from 12 st 7 this June).. I still see myself as 'fat' cos I'm still over 11 st, even though at 11 st 5 this morning, its the lightest I've ever been at this TOTM for YEARS!
  • Deathwithab
    Deathwithab Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    and on and on.

lol i measure but not to that extent, i just mesure my hips, thy and waist and i dont count both thys as seperate lol i dont even combined all the numbers into a total . becuase saying some huge number for yur whole body and then hearing an inch here there and everywhere sounds silly to me