Newbie "waves"

Options
Hi,
I'm a 32 year old shapeless, weighty mumma from Australia. My current weight is 266.2lbs (121kgs) I want to lose 40kgs.
I binge eat. No reason, just becuase i can. Some days i'll eat a lot some days i'll eat very little. Most days there is not a lot of fruit or veg in my diet. A couple of berries and a carrot perhaps. My biggest weakness is fresh bread. Not neccesarliy with anything on it.
I know i can lose weight if i get motivated. I don't have anyone physically in my life who can kick my butt and help me on the way to a thinner and healthier me. No gyms or weightloss centres within a 200km radius. Noone to go walking with apart from the dog lol I think that's what gets me down is there is noone by my side to do these things with and who i can be accountable to. My husband is works away during the week, i see him on weekends. The children are at school during the day so i have 8 hours to myself to dedicate to healthy eating and good exercise but i just don't have the motivation.
I vow to try my best and not come up with any excuses as there are none. I would like to set myself mini challenges like no eating bread for 3 days or eating 3 pieces of fruit today etc but i'm not sure if setting challenges is the way to go. Is it easier to not think about having to do something like it's a chore? I don't want my weightloss to be a chore because i know i'm setting myself up to fail if i think of it like that.

Well, that's me and my thoughts for the moment.

Hopefully there is someone out there who might like to befriend me and offer some support and guidence x

Replies

• fit4travels
    Options
    Hi!! Welcome to myfitnesspal!

I think challenges like that are excellent, it's a really good idea. I'd love to be friends to kick each other up the butt now and then to keep us on track :)
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I joined a few days ago, I've found it very helpful just keeping track of my food. I hope that you have a wonderful experience here. ENJOY!!!!
  • Choltor
    Choltor Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

Start by logging everything you eat in your food diary here, without trying to change anything. Sure, there's a good chance you'll go over on calories, especially with the bread. That's ok, just log absolutely everything.

Then, a few days in, start looking at your diary. Try to find the things which are giving you the most trouble. Now, instead of just eliminating those from your diet, make those rewards for eating better things. For instance, if you would normally have four slices of bread, allow yourself three, but if you eat a serving of veggies, you can have the fourth. Eat two servings, and you can have a fifth. As time goes on, bring your starting threshold down a bit. So if you even want one piece of bread, you have to eat a serving of veggies first.

This might seem backwards, since it could allow you to eat more...but what will really happen is that you'll get better food in your diet to start with, and pretty soon you'll find that you would be a bit more full on good stuff. Plus (and this is where the magic happens), you'll start to see the bread as not being worth it.

Here's the part of this I really love...instead of just having a serving of fruit or vegetables first, you can instead do some exercise. Burn off the calories for the bread before you eat it! Then, you'll have your reward, and it won't cost you any calories! Even if you only burn half of the calories for your reward, hey, it's still more than nothing, right?

Hope this method helps, it has been one of the things which have kept me going!
  • Aussieheidi
    Options
    Ive only been here a few days also - and the people are great - were all here for the same reason. Let me know if theres anything we can do at all :)
  • shapelessmumma
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcomes :) And all butt kicking is welcome!

Cholter, i can see how that would work. I've never looked at it that way before but it makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your help.