C25K without a stop watch or fancy phone

Options
I would like to start to do my c25k outside. I have done it on the treadmill because I do not have a way to keep track of time. I have a clock on my phone but no stop watch or seconds. What are some ways people have kept track without the help of technology? I don't have a track so no mile markers either. I don't have the money to buy anything new!!!

Replies

• jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You could (possibly painfully) time it out once on your route and then you'll have visual markers for the next time. Mind you it changes week to week. . . just an idea.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Do you have a timer or a countdown function? Or can you connect to the internet and find a stopwatch on there?
  • yasemasuyo
    yasemasuyo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Do you have an MP3 player (ipod)? If you download the podcast (either NHS Couch to 5K or Podrunner Intervals First Day to 5K, and they are free), you don't need a stopwatch or markers, it tells you when to run and when to walk.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    podcast definitely
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Or you could just do it by keeping an eye on your watch, if it has a second hand - or digital would be easier.

I saw a cool idea on (I think) Runners' World - printing out your pace breakdown on a wrist band and wearing it, you could do something similar to make yourself a little cheat sheet for how many minutes to run/walk etc. Or just write it on your hand next to your watch!
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What about a food timer? A little silly looking, but small and cheap!
  • rowe_a
    rowe_a Posts: 9
    Options
    MAybe just stick to the treadmill for now and ask all your family/friends to put money towards a stopwatch/phone for Christmas.....what a fantastic present idea...and better than someone giving you chocolate!!!! You could count your steps. try and do one or 2 steps a second and go from there.

I am loving c25k. up to week 3 and really enjoying it!!!

Hope it all goes well,a nd you find a solution
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you plan on spending money to buy a stopwatch or some other timing device, might I suggest you instead buy a HRM? You can pick them up in the 30-40 dollar range, and then you'll have a digital watch that shows the seconds as well as be able to track your calories burned, and you'll be able to use it for more than just the C25K program.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Just buy a really cheap wristwatch with a stopwatch function. I'm sure you can get one for easily for under $10
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I first started, I got a really cheap wrist watch from Walmart for about $12 and used it all through the first time I did C25K. Another idea, not very exciting but it might work...try counting your steps. I found that my job pace is about a complete step (both feet) per second. Just keep running but count it out in your head. You can run on the treadmill at your normal paces and count how many steps you take in the amount of time. It may not be exact, but it would be close.

Good luck!