Raw Vegan

Options
Hey, so I've been vegan for a fews years now, and vegetarian before that, and today I had my first day of raw vegan. So far, so good and SUPER yummy! (Though I was 39g over on my fat... damn tasty avocados!!!) I was just wondering if there were many raw vegans on here for support/recipes ideas/general advice etc. I've been looking at Brandon Cintron's videos and on rawfitb!tch.com for ideas but obviously it would be great to actually chat to someone who is doing this too.

<3

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Just curious, what do you eat?
  • jessfresh
    Options
    i'm curious too. i'm vegetarian but don't eat most dairy so practically vegan...eggs and the occasional cheese win me over though.
  • almawr
    almawr Posts: 77
    Options
    bump
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    <-- also curious as to what you eat

i'm a veggie and i love my eggs and cheese (and protein shakes).
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post.

There are some great raw cookbooks out there and the one I have is called "RAW". If you look it up online, you should be able to find it.

The only thing that I had a problem with on the raw deal - is that there is an over abundance of sugar and fats compared to the amount of protein sources involved in "raw". I had to really pick and choose certain recipes because the fat gain was amazing in such a short period of time and also a lot of water retention. But, I know that my digestion was not ready for such a slam on all those live enzymes.

I really do love eating raw but sparingly. You may have a different experience.

Good luck with your new raw food plan.
  • vegangirl88
    vegangirl88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Today I had 2 bananas for breakfast, a Nakd coco orange bar (they are a raw snack brand), a couple of handfuls of red grapes, a bowl full of strawberries and for lunch and dinner I had the same thing (cos I made so damn much of it haha, luckily it was AMAZING) which was courgette made into "pasta" by using a vegetable peeler to make linguine style ribbons with chopped avocado, fresh tomatoes and sundried tomatoes in a pesto sauce, which I made using pine nuts, fresh basil, olive oil and a clove of garlic, all whizzed up in the blender. Tossed it all together and ate.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    That does sound very amazing :D

Are you low on protein?
  • havalinaaa
    havalinaaa Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm an omnivore who strives to eat mostly raw vegan during the day, saving my cooked foods and meat for the evening (and not every evening either). I don't always make it, yogurt and cream in my coffee are hard to cut out as that's my typical breakfast, but I'm working on it! If you want to friend me we could exchange recipe ideas and help encourage each other! I know a lot of raw eaters disapprove of oils, even though they are technically raw, so I'm glad to see someone else who doesn't seem to mind oil.
  • mojiwoji
    Options
    your "pasta" sounds delicious! I should try that sometime.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Today I had 2 bananas for breakfast, a Nakd coco orange bar (they are a raw snack brand), a couple of handfuls of red grapes, a bowl full of strawberries and for lunch and dinner I had the same thing (cos I made so damn much of it haha, luckily it was AMAZING) which was courgette made into "pasta" by using a vegetable peeler to make linguine style ribbons with chopped avocado, fresh tomatoes and sundried tomatoes in a pesto sauce, which I made using pine nuts, fresh basil, olive oil and a clove of garlic, all whizzed up in the blender. Tossed it all together and ate.

That sounds delish!

This site makes me want to go raw more of the time: http://www.rawmazing.com/
  • vegangirl88
    Options
    That does sound very amazing :D

Are you low on protein?

Yeah according to mfp but I am not too worried about that, as raw fruits and veggies contain amino acids, which is what protein gets broken down into in your digestive system. So eating raw fruits and veggies kinda "cuts out the middle man" and just gets amino acids straight into you, rather than your body having to exert a huge amount of energy braking down the bonds in protein to get the amino acids. As long as I'm getting leafy greens (which today came in the form of A LOT of basil lol) then I'll be ok.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I went raw for a week, lost 5 pounds and felt great, it was a great detox that helped me get pregnant!! I plan on doing it again, but this time, I am going vegetarian, then vegan, then to 75% vegan 25% raw vegan!!!! I am excited!
  • vegangirl88
    Options
    I went raw for a week, lost 5 pounds and felt great, it was a great detox that helped me get pregnant!! I plan on doing it again, but this time, I am going vegetarian, then vegan, then to 75% vegan 25% raw vegan!!!! I am excited!

Ah wow 5lb lost and a new baby!! Congrats! I am not 100% raw, but I'm trying to get as close to it as possible. I have a feeling it will be like when I first went vegan and there were some things I ate and THEN realised weren't vegan. But then I knew to cut them out after that. It just takes time to get used to I guess! xx
  • kerrifair
    kerrifair Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and striving to eat more raw foods... but I am far from even 50% raw. Working on it though! My friend is a raw foods nutritionist, I will ask her for what books she recommends. She is about 98% raw in the summer months and 75-80% raw in the winter. She sings the praises of a raw foods diet.. it has made HUGE improvements in her health and has helped her depression immensely.
  • vegangirl88
    Options
    I am vegan and striving to eat more raw foods... but I am far from even 50% raw. Working on it though! My friend is a raw foods nutritionist, I will ask her for what books she recommends. She is about 98% raw in the summer months and 75-80% raw in the winter. She sings the praises of a raw foods diet.. it has made HUGE improvements in her health and has helped her depression immensely.

That would be great for book recommendations! Thank you! As long as you are eating some raw that's better than nothing right! And you can always work towards more : )