Eating routines...

Options
Just wondering what eating routine people follow or try to stick too...do you eat 3 meals a day or 5 smaller meals...how does everyone find it works best for them?

Replies

• PrincessGlitterTush
    Options
    You get used to either. However at the moment, I need to eat 6 times a day. Feeling quite deprived at the moment since I didn't bring any snacks along to work.

Just figure out what you prefer. I prefer to eat more frequently because I like food.. heehee.
    But as long as your calories out are more than your cals in - you'll lose weight.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I've always just done breakfast, lunch, dinner at no set times. I eat snacks when I'm hungry . I have lost about 8 stone this way so it works for me. I am not great on routine so I try not to bother with them. Different things will work for you x
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I work nights. (12 hour shift.) I eat breakfast when I get off work. I eat dinner when I get up in the afternoon. Then I usually eat 3 or 4 times durning the night. That comes out to 5, sometimes 6 meals a day.
  • FireMama_24
    FireMama_24 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I do ever 3 hours or so.......It seems like a lot but it has helped me and it keeps the metabolism up
  • PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    I eat about 3 huge meals within 2 hours...meal frequency is irrelevant as long as you adhere to your daily calorie limit.

and no it doesn't boost your metabolism...
  • GliderGirl
    Options
    I was actually going to ask a similar question. I work 10 -12 hours shifts a day, and there is a very strict break sched. set up. I eat my "breakfast" at 5am. Then by 9am, im hungry again, so i started splitting my breakfast up. half at five and half at 9. Then i did the same thing with my lunch, half at noon and the rest at about 2:30. It seems to last me the rest of the day, but if it doesn't I'll just grab a granola or something small. then dinner at around 6.

I guess this counts as small and frequent. It seems to work for me, and i get hungry less often.
  • Joannie1987
    Joannie1987 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to 3 times a day with snacks in between I work 6-2 and 2-10 shifts so I try to not let them effect my meals!

6-2 will have breakfast either 6 when i get in or around 8 - I get a ten mins breakfast break and dinner at my 1130 break time and tea when I hungry later in day. With a snack in between

2-10 breakfast around 9am go to gym/swim and then eat dinner around 1 and then start my shift and have tea around 7
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I eat about 3 huge meals within 2 hours...meal frequency is irrelevant as long as you adhere to your daily calorie limit.

and no it doesn't boost your metabolism...

^^This.
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    banana
    breakfast
    lunch
    other snack
    dinner
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Breakfast/lunch/dinner and snacks when i'm hungry (usually late morning and mid-afternoon)
  • Dolcie89
    Dolcie89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Interesting how everyone works differently! When I'm at work I have breakfast at 10, lunch at 1.30 and tea anytime after 6! On weekends I eat when I'm hungry but still try and stick to 3 meals a day! Where I struggle is between breakfast and lunch, always get really hungry so I have been eating a banana with yoghurt in between but this doesnt really seem to fill me up either, will have to re-evaluate my breakfast because it obvs isnt working for me!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Breakfast
    Mid-morning Snack
    Lunch
    Mid-afternoon Snack
    Dinner
    Evening Snack (If I have enough cals left)

Little & often is the trick for me.....

Sue :smile: x
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I know you are asking about meal routines and I believe you will find what works for you but I would like to suggest setting your calorie intake at 1lb. a week loss not 1 1/2 lb. a week loss. I've been at it for a while (dropped the ball for 2 months) and I am so much happier at 1480 calorie a day intake than 1200. This may be because I know this isn't an overnight deal.....I changed my thinking in terms of HOW LONG THIS WILL TAKE and have settled down into a pretty good routine. I vary my foods and allow myself a low cal treat. Start some type of exercise anything will do..... and enjoy the journey and support of this wonderful program and supportive people that get up everyday and do it!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Breakfast lunch and dinner are an absolute must for me and I usually snack in-between with fruit etc the more I snack in a controlled way the easier it is for me to stick to
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i do 3 meals i.e. breakfast, lunch and dinner. occasionally i will have one or 2 snacks throughout the day but this is very rare
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 main meals, but try to save as many calories for the evening as possible, as that's when I get surprised with a reason to go out for a drink, or a meal out, or even just an ice-cream for dessert (last night).
    That makes breakfast <150, lunch <200, snack total <150 and dinner up to 700. I tried to eat differently but this is what works for me.
  • tyadrake
    tyadrake Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My schedule looks kinda like this:

7:30 - 8 am Oatmeal & unsweetened applesause
    10 (ish) Snack
    noon LUNCH
    3-4 SNACK
    7 (ISH) DINNER
    and sometimes I will have a snack before bed, but that doesn't happen often.

Some days I feel like I am eaing constantly but I am eating healthy snacks and lots of vegies and am staying within my calorie budget. The days I work out I will allow myself to have a glass of wine or a few beers.

Now the weekends are another story, my schedule gets thrown all outta whack, but I still try to stick within my budget. Please feel free to checkout my log, I am definately not perfect but you might get some ideas for other snacks or meals that might help you!

Keep up the good work!