I figured out how to get over sweet cravings...

Options
So for my father's birthday, I decided to make him Boston Cream Pie. I do this every year. For some reason, this year really failed.

In the last 24 hours, I've remade Chocolate Gnauche twice, Custard filling 3 times, and switched from a cake batter to cupcakes because I couldn't cut the 9" cake in half.

Between tasting, testing, retasting, dripping, licking, and then proceeding to eat three of them at three different stages trying to get them right, I swear I never want to eat anything sweet again.

I'm annoyed with myself, as I probably consumed 1000 calories in sugary sweets making these, but my teeth hurt, I feel sick, and I will probably not be able to stand reaching for anything but vegetables and and spicy things for the next several months.

...except now these damn things are on my counter, and still haven't worked out properly.

Replies

• mefeight1964
    mefeight1964 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That's what trash cans are for! :) Love your story!!
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Maybe failing is making you realize how sugar makes us feel horrible with too much of it. I know sweets are my downfall. I hope your next batch turns out great and you have to do no more tasting... don't get down on yourself for doing something nice for your dad. :smile:
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    You planted such a negative image of sweets over-indulgence in my head so well, that now I am craving a salad for lunch today. I do not think that has ever happened before. Thanks!!!! I owe ya'!!!!
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    hahaha overindulgence will always kill a craving...

I did the same thing for my brother's sister in law's engagement party. my sister in law and I made 100 cupcakes and then attempted to make cake pops for a table seating. not to mention I was out of town so I wasn't really eating all that well to begin with but I must have consumed so many empty calories & SO much sugar from the leftover batter and the testing and all that I never want to look at another cupcake in my life. I haven't had cakes in months and can't even stand to look at icing. it creates a pit at the bottom of my stomach and my teeth start hurting. I could never be a baker lol

but yeah a lot of people do this and it makes them give up things that they would otherwise have overconsumed without a care in the world..

when my older bother was younger (maybe 10 or 11 - he's 26 now) he was IN LOVE with oreos <-- this is an understatement. he also had a ridiculously fast metabolism so i guess he could do it but we were watching a movie and he brought over an entire tray of oreos and consumed like half the tray which for a little guy is A LOT of food. yeah that didn't sit well with his stomach LOL

also my ex got into lifting when he was in high school but he said that he couldn't get out of his m&m addiction. one day he bought two family size bags and sat on his porch and ate a good chunk of both bags.. later he threw them up and hasn't touched an m&m in years haha