Hi...I'm new!

Options
Hello everyone,
Just wanted to say hi and tell a bit about myself. I am a substitute teacher, a mom to two beautiful little girls and I'm engaged to a great guy, whom I'll call DH in my posts. I've always been overweight.....ever since I can remember. But it's really gotten out of hand since I had children. DH is overweight as well...but since we've been together (11 years) he's lost weight....and I gained. He seems to be able to eat whatever he likes lately and still keep it off. So since he eats what he wants, there is always junk in our house, which is like keeping alcohol in an alcoholics house. My will power is only so strong. I resist and resist and then I binge.

I started going to a group where we weigh in every week. It's been good, and I've lost 33 pounds so far. I really need the accountability of going to a meeting to weigh. But it doesn't seem to be enough....because I fall off the wagon every once in a while. When I found this site I thought if I could write posts and receive feedback and truly be honest with other people maybe I could keep it going and lose the weight more steadily and consistently.

DH and I are getting married next summer ( pretty long engagement huh??), and logically I know I won't have lost all I need to lose by then, but I want to lose as much as I possibly can before then. So I'm looking forward to your comments and please be completely honest but kind...lol....

Replies

• afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Congrats on your initial weight loss and I hope that being here on MFP will help you finish that goal.
    Welcome and feel free to add me for support!
  • ohsogoodfitness
    Options
    Absolutely!!! This site has done that for me. It is great to have an issue and get feedback right away! Your wedding is a great motivator. It's short term. These changes will help you forever. :)
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    welcome.. this is a FUN place :) Enjoy your stay :) im 10 days new. Fill free to add me aswell :)
  • elmo3716
    elmo3716 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club-if you are looking for friends, feel free to add me.
  • elmo3716
    elmo3716 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My name is Annmarie. I am a 43 year old wife of a wonderful and loving husband for 24 years in December and mother of three beautiful children. I have been on a weight struggle for most of my life and have tried just about every diet out there. I am a 1999 product of a gastric bi-pass gone bad, and I currently have many health related issues that keep me from wanting to exercise and with that even diet. I am from a big Italian family where food is our source of comfort and "family", so I enjoy very much the idea of cooking as well as eating all the wonderful meals I make for friends and family. This is probably the biggest reason for NOT watching what I eat. I joined my fitness pal in the hopes that I can get back into shape and be able to enjoy life again with my family and friends
  • Zebraone
    Options
    WELCOME.....AND CONGRATS ON YOUR WEIGHT LOSS. KEEP IT UP YOU CAN DO IT. I KNOW IT'S HARD BUT YOU CAN AND WILL DO IT.....
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • TraceyMarieHarnett
    TraceyMarieHarnett Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement!! I think this will be a good thing for me!
  • TraceyMarieHarnett
    Options
    How come my ticker isn't working??
  • TraceyMarieHarnett
    Options
    Ok I got it!
  • bodyrightdiva
    Options
    Hello, I truly understand! It takes accountability in order to help u stay on track. We are all on this journey together. I've been in that boat where I want to lose weight, but my mind plays tricks on me, and before I knew it I was back doing the same old things. Eating late, not exercising. I feel once u r truly fed up u WILL do something about it. I had to sit back and think, how long will u livee if I continue on this way? Am I setting a good example for my 3 girls? Do I control me or does food control me? All of the answers were very eye opening!! I decided on the 3rd of this month enough is enough. I no longer want the answers to those questions to be NEGATIVE! I not only WILL lose weight, but I will have changed my family's life style!!! This is a journey and u MUST make sure u are packed appropriately! No quick overnight trips! U didn't get where u r over night so take it one day at a time.
  • wilson1972
    Options
    Hi Tracey! Congratulations on your weight loss!!! I'm also new, just signed up yesterday... I've lost 93 pounds so far, and sadly still have another 30 to go that just won't seem to budge... but I'll find a way :tongue: I also find the accountability piece is really useful so keep up the meetings... AND get as much support as you can with friends and family, and through these message boards... Feel free to add me as a 'friend'! My weight loss has gone in chunks... drop 15 pounds and hold steady, then drop some more and hold steady etc. Good luck!
  • Akahime
    Akahime Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi Tracey ;) I know what you mean about the junk food around the house. When I started my weight loss journey a few years ago I had to ask my dear husband to try to keep his snacks away from me. I explained to him that I was making a serious effort to lose the weight and told him that I needed him to support me on it, and he was very good about it. He even stopped me from making poor choices for my own snacks. My husband still has his occasional junk food but it doesn't sit around the house and some of my healthier habits have rubbed off on him. Talk to your man, I hope he can become a great support for you like mine is for me.

I never had much willpower, but what I found that helped is want-power. Next time you reach for that donut or cookie ask yourself do you want it or do you want to lose the weight? You are here so you obviously know what you want. One of the things I learned best was that you have to change the way you think. You can't go on a diet because diets don't work. The best thing you can do for yourself is educate yourself about proper fitness and nutrition then slowly work what you have learned into your own habits. When what you are doing no longer works look at your habits and see what else you can change. To change your outside you must first change your inside. Also very important-It's ok to fall off the wagon, as long as you just get right back on. Don't let messing up once in a while bring you down. Forgive yourself, promise yourself to do better and move on. If you deprive yourself of the things you love completely you'll never be able to stay on the wagon. Surprisingly, I found that after eating so healthy all the time, I don't enjoy the junk foods that I used to. The things like desserts that I still love, I find I need less to enjoy them and still be satisfied. It's also really sweet to be able to split dessert with your husband when eating out.

I never went to a group but I was very public about my intentions to lose weight. I told all my friends and co-workers. They cheered me on but what motivated me was that I knew if I failed everyone would know it. It helped me hold myself accountable for my efforts and that really worked for me. Everytime I got discouraged at the speed of my progress I reminded myself that it took me 30 years to get as big as I was (size 24 when I started) so it naturally will take a while to lose it. I also do one thing that most people would discourage but it again is based on your own attitude. I weight myself often. Sometimes daily. I only record it at the same time every Saturday as my official weigh-in but I use the scale as a tool to help stay focused on my goals. It also gives me a better idea of how my weight fluctuates in the course of the day so that if my results are a few pounds off I get less discouraged and get myself back on track. It's not the way to go for everyone but it works for me. Never be afraid of your scale.

Congrats on your engagement, you may not make it to your ultimate goal by then but set some smaller goals and I promise you that when you make them you will feel so much better about yourself that by your wedding day you will feel beautiful and glow with pride. I am still about 40 lbs from my ideal weight and need to lose my muffin top but people I've known for years barely recognize me and compliment me every day. I am currently a size 10 which I never thought I'd fit and I feel pretty when I dress up. I no longer hate pictures of myself and I love who I am becoming. Keep up the good work, don't punish yourself, and you will learn to love yourself. Once you do, it's the only motivation you'll need.