A Mommy Success

I have a 7yr old daughter, who, since kindergarten, has shown a great deal of selfishness and egotism (due partly of what her real father teaches her). I've always tried to stress the need for generosity and charity, but it never seemed to sink in. Last night we took our girlscout troop trick or treating at a senior home. A very old gentleman dropped his candy and when my daughter dashed forward I swear i thought she was going to try and take it all, she handed him back the cup and all the candy and said "here you go" so politely. Then while we were going along if she saw that some people only had a few pieces of candy left she said "i don't need it, but happy halloween" and left the candy for other girl scouts....it may not be a weight loss success story but I am a damn proud mother right now :)

Replies

• The small things in life with your children are the most precious of them all.

I hope I get to experience those beautiful things with my daughter when she grows up a bit!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    And you should be proud!! That is great! I'm happy that there are still parents out there that teach their kids these things. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • mandycasey
    mandycasey Posts: 274 Member
    Thats fantastic well done u on being such a brilliant mum xx
  • That is Awesome!!1 Go Mommy for teaching the right things.

( I feel your pain about the real dad teaching her not so good habits)
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    That's awesome! Keep putting those good values on the inside of her and it will come out...even when it seems like they aren't listening...they are :)
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    What a sweet story! We are struggling teaching sharing to my two year old, your story brings me hope that someday he will get there!
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Awww! That's precious! My daughter is 3 and I get all weepy when she uses good manners and is kind to others. What a nice thing and so awesome you were there to witness it.
  • KEN1013
    KEN1013 Posts: 182 Member
    awsome story :)
  • What a sweet story! We are struggling teaching sharing to my two year old, your story brings me hope that someday he will get there!

oh trust me, it's been a work-in-progress she really lashed out when i had her little sister (she's almost 2) but now it feels like all the effort my husband and I put into it isn't for nothing :)
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    As well you should be!! That's awesome - I love moments like that with my kids!! Good job Mommy! :flowerforyou:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    how sweet! :smile:
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    LOVE this...great job Mama!
  • wyangel
    wyangel Posts: 36
    Excellent! Our children learn by watching, and you obviously are setting a good example for her. Keep up the good work! Being a mom is a wonderful thing!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    You must be doing something right. I went through he same thing with my step daughter. Her mother's parents spoiled the crap out of her and she had no appreciation for anything. She was very rude and picked on kids who were less fortunate. So I left her room empty with the exception of a mattress and some old clothes. She had to work to get everything back and she is much more appreciative of it. I think part of it is a stage kids go through.
  • Such a great story. That was so sweet of her. You have taught her well.
  • You must be doing something right. I went through he same thing with my step daughter. Her mother's parents spoiled the crap out of her and she had no appreciation for anything. She was very rude and picked on kids who were less fortunate. So I left her room empty with the exception of a mattress and some old clothes. She had to work to get everything back and she is much more appreciative of it. I think part of it is a stage kids go through.

my best friend looked at me once and said "if you would have told me when i was 6 that other people mattered, i would have called you a liar" it deffinately made me look at things differently
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Wonderful story! Great job, Mamma!! :happy:
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Wow, that's great! My son is usually the same way, but lately he's becoming more empathetic :) Here's to growing!

Oh and I think it's great that they went trick or treating at a nursing home. I worked at a nursing home for 5 years and the year before I left me and another woman organized trick or treating there, and the residents LOVED it! They love children anyway, but to be able to see them dressed up and give them something was just wonderful for them :) I'm sure that they made the residents month!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    great success story, plus you should be proud that your dau is not over indulging in things like candy, hopefully she will do better than me. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!