3500 calories = 1lb

Options
Does that mean 3500 burned from workouts or could that be made up of your calorie Deficit.

Replies

• almawr
    almawr Posts: 77
    Options
    bump
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    both...
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Just a calorie deficit. You can reach it by eating less or burning more - it doesn't really matter. Basically if your calories burned minus calories consumed equals a deficit of 3500 calories, you should lose one pound.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Only calorie deficit - but you can get that deficit from either eating less, exercising more, or both.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    both...

Werd....but I feel like this is a trick question.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just a calorie deficit. You can reach it by eating less or burning more - it doesn't really matter. Basically if your calories burned minus calories consumed equals a deficit of 3500 calories, you should lose one pound.

this!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It's the same either way. Either eat less or burn more that equals 3500 calories deficit for a week and lose a pound.
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    It could be either or a combination of both. But, it is already built in with your calorie deficit. Even if you "eat back" your exercise calories, you are still at a deficit and will still be losing weight.
  • ilissecrets
    Options
    That is from your deficit and workout. Or if you dont workout, then from your deficit only. If you work out, it helps a lot in getting to that number faster :)
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    any deficit! :smile:
  • yesiwillbeloosingit
    Options

That
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    ive been on here ages and never knew this !!!!!!
  • afigueroa_pr
    Options
    Both. If you burn let's say 300 calories a day 7 days a week that totals 2100 calories lost. If you combine that with a 300 calorie deficit every day that's 4200 calories you would lose in a week. And that's over 1 pound you have lost.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Both!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate a box of salt or sugar on last Sunday...IJS there are other factors that come into play, but the basic concept is the same. 3500 cal deficit equals a pound loss, but it may not show on the scale as such. Sometimes it may even show as a gain.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Both. If you burn let's say 300 calories a day 7 days a week that totals 2100 calories lost. If you combine that with a 300 calorie deficit every day that's 4200 calories you would lose in a week. And that's over 1 pound you have lost.

Oh how I wish this were true!
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    eat less...... move more.

Job done
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    both
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Oh how I wish this were true!

As far as I can find, it IS true, with a couple (BIG) caveats.
    - Temporary weight gain/loss from things like water retention/elimination. For example, if you don't drink enough water, or if you consume too much sugar or sodium (or it is that time of the month for the ladies), your body will hold on to more water to balance the concentrations of various ions, etc. in the body. You will still lose the weight, but you won't see it until you get the water retention issue resolved.

- You need to know EXACTLY how much energy you are burning daily The estimates here are rough estimates. The percentages of fat to bone to muscle has a huge impact on how much energy you burn just laying there. If you can find a lab with the equipment, they can get a much more accurate BMR for you than the rough estimate here. This also means that what you burn can vary tremendously from day to day depending on your activities and activity level - and it will also change as you lose weight and/or put on muscle.

Even if you get your BMR correct, you need to be precise with measuring any additional calories you burn. An HRM seems to be the most accurate, unless you can do everything in a lab with the VO2 meters, etc.:wink: but it is still usually off some (a number of factors can impact its measurements).

- You need to know exactly how many calories you are consuming. Food scales are basically a necessity for this. Not only do volume measures vary more from country to country, but they can also vary person to person. My packed cup of flour could be lighter or heavier than yours based on how tightly I pack it. You also need to make sure you are measuring correctly for cooked vs. uncooked weights - pastas generally weigh more and take up more volume after cooking while meats weigh less and take up less volume.

There is also some debate about how many calories are actually absorbed and used by the body from various foods, compared to the total number of calories contained in it. The first example of this that comes to mind is the debate over "net carbs" since nonsoluble fiber, specifically, passes straight through your system. It varies from person to person if and how much of the caloric content of different foods is absorbed. Various illnesses and things like thyroid disorders can greatly impact how much or how little your body takes in from what you eat.

Sorry for the novel...just trying to pull together everything I have been able to find. I'm sure there are discrepancies, and I haven't gone through all the potential complications, so take what I say with a grain of salt (unless you are worried about the sodium :laugh: )

I guess it really comes down to this: if it works for you, go for it, and the 3500 calories per pound is a good general rule of thumb...just remember our bodies are so complicated nothing is ever that straightforward. What works for me may not work for you.

Good luck!