NSV with negative impact !

Options
baycat107
baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
OK..about a year ago, a male friend asked why I wore my dresses so long. I looked in my closet and he was right. I had all this outdated clothing that was comfortable, but not very stylish. The truth is, I kept this clothing because I was waiting to lose weight to buy new clothes.

Thinking that was stupid, I went out and bought a new wardrobe, with a new look. I felt good. Now, after losing 25 pounds (with 20 more to go), these clothes don't fit right. Some don't fit at all. I know it's good they don't fit, but I love these clothes. They weren't expensive, but they weren't cheap either. It's frustrating. I mean my whole dressy wardrobe looks like feed sacks on me. What would you do? Have them altered or just buy new clothes? I know this sounds dumb, but I feel guilty that I bought all these clothes and now they don't fit. I'm probably just venting, but what would you do?

Replies

• bjfmade
    bjfmade Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If you like them, have them altered for the time being. Then you can get a new wardrobe later or add a few pieces that are a little bit snug as you find them on clearance!
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Alter whatever you can...and give away the others....I am in the same situation...NICE JOB!:flowerforyou:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    have them altered
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's best to look good at whatever weight you're at now...so whatever you can do, alter them, buy some inexpensive replacements
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain... I was really happy about a month ago when I was fitting into all my old "cute" clothes. But now everything is too big on me or just fits plain awkward. It is frustrating!! I am simply waiting for Christmas and I've asked everyone for gift cards to my favorite stores. lol. I dunno what else to do really! I'm broke so I can't go buy anything right now. My sister loaned me some of her old clothes, temporarily, since she used to be smaller than me. Some of them fit, some of them don't. But I'm working with what I've got. If there's anything you really love of the clothing, I would get it altered if you can! Otherwise, any excuse to shop is a good one. LOL
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I'd take them to a resale shop and see if you could get a little money for them or have them altered it it's not too cost prohibitive ... meaning if you can buy new for close to the same amount, I'd go for new clothes.
  • kronesa
    kronesa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your progress! I'm in kind of the same boat, only I didn't buy new clothes before. All of my work clothes were kind of tight to begin with, and now they're getting big and baggy. I'm loving this change in my body, but a bit frustrated with the clothing aspect of it. My sister-in-law (who got me hooked on MFP!) took me to Target this weekend and voiced rationale for buying cheap in-between clothes. It made sense. So, that's my suggestion. Either that, or check out the consignment shops in your area, you might find some great deals from people who were in the same situation as you! Good luck!!
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You are worth new clothes. If you can afford them, get them. You have worked very hard to be where you are.

What I did: I went to a several stores (ended up at Marshalls) looking for clothes that looked good on me and I bought a handful of items that were cheap, but could hold me over until I hit my goal weight as I know the clothes I have bought in the last two weeks will most likely look like feed sacks on me in another couple months!

You have no idea how much better I feel about how I look and how great I feel, walking down the hallways in the office at work, knowing how obvious it is that I have dropped 30 pounds - because the clothes I am wearing flatter my new figure! You deserve to have that feeling too! You are definitely worth it and did not work this hard to look like a sack of potatoes :)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I'd take them to a resale shop and see if you could get a little money for them or have them altered it it's not too cost prohibitive ... meaning if you can buy new for close to the same amount, I'd go for new clothes.

I was going to suggest a resale shop too.
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. It's so hard to keep yourself in clothes that fit while your losing the weight. Look like your going to have to buy new clothes. Usually atleast 2 times while on your weight loss journey. Just try not to buy as many since you will be losing more. Sounds like you dress up a lot for your job. So I would buy mix and match seperates so that you can mix them up for a different look and it looks like a different outfit. Ya know skirts, pants, blouses and jackets. When I go shopping I have such a hard time buying new clothes because I know they won't fit for long. I have been losing weight from having a baby and so I had a vast array of sizes to work my way back down through, but sometimes when I have nothing that seems to fit I just say okay I wlll lose x amount of weight and fit into next size I already own. Good luck on your journey.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    First, good for you for getting in style!!

Second, I'd have a few things altered and wear the heck out of them until they're too big, buying a couple of new pieces to make it work. Then move on to the next set.

Not everything can be altered -- so just pass those along to someone else.

Congratulations!!
  • Behipped
    Options
    I would have a few pieces you really love altered. Unfortunately, some fabrics/cuts don't alter well, so choose key items like blazers and dress pants/skirts, which tend to be more expensive and their fabrics conducive to altering.

Do you shop at thrift stores at all? If you have some patience, you'll be able to find some dress clothes for the meantime, until you lose those final 20 pounds. They are really an invaluable resource. Otherwise, I would check places like Old Navy and JcPenney. They may have some inexpensive pieces to get you through.

Good luck! It is frustrating, but it's absolutely fabulous that your clothes are too big rather than too tight! Great job.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Yeah same here...

What I do now is I just buy a couple of each thing at each milestone (two t-shirts, two jeans, two everything, possibly more shirt though for work), to look good when I am going out and for social events. Cheap ones preferably (look for sales around your place).

And I wear the slightly larger stuff otherwise.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    buy a few things that fit you now (there are lots of NICE second hand stores out there that have good clothes for little money), and have the clothes that are too big altered to fit better. No sense buying an entire wardrobe if it isn't going to fit soon, and no sense wasting your nice wardrobe. You could get one or two new things at a time and give one or two away as you get closer and closer to your goal weight/size
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've found some great "new" clothes at Salvation Army, Goodwill, and other local thrift shops. A lot of the shirts I buy are only $3 or $4, which is a lot less than you'd pay for new clothes or tailoring. Of course, if you have a few favorites in your current wardrobe, tailor tham as necessary, but not everything.
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    a bunch of friends of mine had a clothing swap.. they are all in different stages of weight loss, so they just dumped it all on the living room floor and everyone went through stuff and tried it on..worked really well!
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Give them away, buy smaller, and move on. You are worth it. Yes the clothes are nice, but get them out of your closet. You don't need to be eating to fit into them again!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Get the Stuff you REALLY love altered and eBay the rest. Use the money to buy new ones :) x
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    You have 20 pounds to go, so I would wait to do any alterations since that can be really expensive and you're not going to be this weight for long! :) Take the ones you REALLY like (be honest) and put them to the side until you get within about five pounds of your goal weight. Then decide. If you don't like them that much, take them to a consignment store and see if you can sell them. In the meantime, go to Goodwill or a consignment store to find some clothing to wear now (if you need it). You can find some nice stuff there!

Since I've lost the weight, I've found a lot of the clothes I had just don't fit right anymore. They're too big on the shoulders, too long, or just not flattering. I was always trying to find clothes that hid my imperfections (hello tummy!). Even though that's not much of a problem now, I can see that since my arms are thinner, a lot of my shirts don't sit on my shoulders like they should.

You're more than half way to your goal which is AWESOME! Make it a gift to yourself at the end that you will have a wardrobe of clothes that fit the new "you". It doesn't have to be a ton of clothes! Just some separates that mix and match and make you feel good!
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too and still have about 15 pounds to go. I prefer not to waste my money on getting my clothes altered because even after alterations, I won't be able to fit them in a couple of months. I've had great success going to consignment shops and thrift stores buying very inexpensive name brand clothes that fit me at the present. Once I reach my ultimate goal, I am going on a HUGE shopping spree!! Yeah!! :happy: :laugh:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!