I turn 50 in July '12 ..please tell me I can do this :-)

Options
Hi, found "myfitnesspal" while browsing iphone apps. I have never counted calories before. I have done points with weight watchers with minimal success and lost over 50 pounds on Atkins 4 years ago. Stress eating (taking care of both parents while they were ill) put it all back on plus some. Atkins diet was so easy the weight literally fell off. I didn't have to count anything or keep a food journal. If it had carbs I didn't eat it. I have tried to lose the weight again by doing Atkins and am finding that my body refuses to co-operate this time around. I like the idea of a healthier lifestyle anyway and am giving the calorie counting a shot. While I am not one to keep a food journal.....I find it has been super easy to keep up with the foods I am eating using the iphone app.
Sorry for the wordy intro...lol....so....."Hi everyone"!

Replies

• WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!! :happy:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Why do you even question yourself. :drinker: I'm 55 and did it.
  • newvictoria
    Options
    I am 54!
    Been working on it for a time now....
    Fitness has NO finish line.
    YOU can do this.... Believe!!!
  • paulaz43
    paulaz43 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am starting A-G-A-I-N!!!!!!!! We CAN do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • grmpy1
    grmpy1 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and have a lot of friends on here that are over 50 also. We all are doing it. You can too. This is fun and easy. Just surround yourself with friends for support and motivation and go for it!!

Good Luck!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this!!!! My aunt didn't use this system; she did Nutrisystem. She turned 50 2 years ago and lost 65 lbs - she has kept it off. This is very doable with some hard work and dedication. We will be here to help you!!:smile:
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can do it!!! I am 45. Although I don't lose weight nearly as easily as I did in my youth, it does come off. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I started this on January 23rd. I turned 50 in October. My original goal was to lose "50 by 50", and as you can see....I had to reformulate my goals! I realized I might be able to do 100 by 50 , but just missed it!
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Of course you can do this!! I am 50 will be 51 in March, you have come to the right place to get all of the support and motivation you need...I will send a friend request We are all here for eachother!
  • Sherrellynn
    Options
    Good for you! Whatever the reason healthy living should be our #1 priority. Hang in there and hold yourself accountable. If you stumble get back up and carry on. By the way I am 57 .:smile:
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Of course you can do this!! I am 50 will be 51 in March, you have come to the right place to get all of the support and motivation you need...I will send a friend request We are all here for eachother!

by the way...my profile pic is of my husband and pups...not me :wink:
  • BigBadVooDooBob
    Options
    I'm 53 and loving this site! I think you will too. There are many many good things on here, but the best is all of the friends you will make who will support you along this journey. Counting calories is just one step on the road to a healthier lifestyle, and there a plenty more "steps" available on this site. Good luck, and feel free to friend me!
  • melbasc
    melbasc Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Omg....never expected such a wonderful welcome....I actually have tears...I am so new to this...please send friend requests and as I figure this all out I will do the same!
  • Sherrellynn
    Options
    Good for you! Whatever the reason healthy living should be our #1 priority. Hang in there and hold yourself accountable. If you stumble get back up and carry on. By the way I am 57 .:smile:
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Of course you can do this! And if any of you are looking for a group of like minded women, check out this thread and join us!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/356978-women-ages-50-for-october?page=18#posts-5137061
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of 50+'s on here. They are doing it, why can't you?
  • RheneeB
    RheneeB Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hey there.....I just wanted to offer words of encouragement. Losing weight is a tough thing, especially when we get up in age a little bit. I just turned 47 and like you, had success weightloss in the past and have let the weight slowly creep back on. I lost my weight with weight watchers and was going to join on line but I found myfitnesspal.com and thought I would give it a try. I introduced a friend to it and we are trying to support each other through this process. I am having a hard time with just the simple discipline of logging in on a regular basis and tracking everything. I do good through the day but once I get home, I forget to log on and finish the day out. My friend is having the same problem but I guess it just needs to become habit. The first solid week that we kept up with journaling we each had lost right over 5 pounds and then we both fell off the wagon. After a week of discouragement, we have pulled ourselves up by our boot strings and are giving it another go. I have to keep reminding myself that nothing will no change if I do not change. Like you, I want to lose weight learning a healthy lifestyle of eating and excersizing (not thrilled about the excersizing part). I have converted our pool house into my own personal excersize space....there is a lot on the door so no one can watch and laugh as I struggle through my new Turbo Fire workout videos. Just the other night I took the time to dig through old picture boxes and find pictures of my leaner days....no rubbing thighs or back fat....and I took a large bulliten board from the attic and created a visual display of who I want to be again. The board contains old photos and words of encouragement....some funny, some serious.

In your intro you say "please tell me I can do this"....I am telling you that you can. You are worth feeling great about yourself. You are worth taking the time to take care of yourself. You are worth loving yourself. You CAN do this......Beachbody has a great motto...."Decide, Commit.....Succeed". I only have one friend on myfitnesspal.....I would be more than happy to be your friend and be part of this great journey we are on!!!!
  • nilroctarp
    Options
    Forget the age worry. as you know, losing weight at any age is tough. but if you work at it, there is no reason why you will not succeed. by the way, i refuse to think we are age impaired. my driver's license my say i'm 53 but i can tell you that i am a lot younger today than i was 64 pounds ago.
  • nilroctarp
    Options
    a new profile picture, BeeElMarvin? Where is your towel, my friend?
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it at 50! You can too! Feel free to add me as a friend.