How to Start Running

Options
I know this might sound silly to others but my goal has always been to be able to get up in the morning and go for a 30 or 45 minute run. I haven't been able to run since high school and I just stopped trying. Might sound like a dumb quesdtion but what is the best way to work up to running, how long do you think it will take to get to that point, and hs anyone went from sedentary to running before. I would love to hear your stories. Thanks!

Replies

• kate0309
    kate0309 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Definitely try the Couch to 5K program.

http://www.c25k.com/

It's amazing how you can go from barely being able to run for 1 min to running 30 min straight. Good luck!
  • LenaNicole15
    Options
    Bump!
  • abigailhutch
    Options
    Have you looked into doing the C25K? It's "couch to 5k" and its a cool run program that you can download free playlists....It starts with walking & jogging and each week you increase your run time a little more so that in the end you can run a 5k! Its super cool!
  • Nigelmouse
    Nigelmouse Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'll second the couch to 5k programme, it's got me running 5k multiple times a week and when I started I couldn't run for more than a minute.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Couch-to-5K! It's awesome, and definitely worked for me!
  • hemd1234
    Options
    look for the app called "couch to 5 k".. it has an awesome program that you can print out. google it. I've known people to use this and go from not being able to walk a 5 k to running one!
    It starts off very basic and increases just a little every day...:wink:
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for C25K here too!
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I second C25K. I've never been a runner in my life, and I'm on week 7 of the program now (meaning I can run for 25 minutes straight! That's a huge accomplishment for me). Stick with it, you can do it!
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Someone posted it, but the C25K program is wonderful. I went from never running in my entire life, to running a 5K non-stop. I used to hate running. I am now training for a half-marathon. Love the program, I don't think I would've gotten to running without it.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Ditto on C25K
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i am NOT a runner... hated it even when i was a kid! but i started the C25K program last week and it seems to be working great so far. :smile: the thing i like best is that it's really easing me in, giving me small goals to work toward.
  • MJH2011
    Options
    I agree.. C25K really does work. They have apps to help as well or you can just follow the program. In no time you will be there!
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I didn't do a Couch to 5k program when I started running, but it is a really great tool! I honestly just got on a treadmill and ran at a comfortable speed until I felt like I couldn't, and then I would walk at a nice pace to keep my heart rate up. I then just continued to try and add a little more distance every time I got on, until I was doing a solid 30-40 mins.

Intervals are great, run for 1 min, walk for 4 min (which is what the C25k does) and build up your stamina that way. You can do it!! Once you get your lungs and legs in good shape, its really a mental game after that! Good Luck!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options

It's amazing how you can go from barely being able to run for 1 min to running 30 min straight. Good luck!
    Yes, this! I never thought I'd be able to run and now I can. I can't say enough nice things about C25K. :)
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    One foot in front of the other! I've heard good things about C25K, but never did it myself. I'm too impatient! I just ran. I'd never been a runner and managed about 19 minutes the first time I ran. I'm sure it was at a snail's pace, but I kept my feet moving. Each time I just tried to beat my last time.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about C25k, but I've never tried it myself. I myself went from hating running to training for a half marathon, so trust me, it's possible. The best advice I was ever given was to take it slow. You should be able to hold a conversation when your un, at least at first. If you can't you're going too fast. If that means you run a 20 minute mile, so be it. If you do too much too fast, you'll burn out and end up hating it. Also, make sure you have the right equipment... good shoes, water, hat/visor/sunglasses. Don't let external factors ruin your run.
  • qkiley
    qkiley Posts: 65
    Options
    Just graduated C25k this past weekend. I have never been considered a runner, ever. C25k is a fantastic program!
  • alliefairy
    alliefairy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've recently started running and this is my favorite article:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Learn-to-Run-in-4-Simple-Steps.htm

Hope this helps!
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    First... Go to a running store and have someone watch you walk. If you pronate, supinate or have a neutral stride, their are shoes that accomidate each type. DONT just go down to a shoe store and get a pair of shoes that say RUNNING SHOES - you will get shin splints and f' your feet up!!!

The three major brands of marathon running shoes are: Brooks, Sauceny, New Balance, and Mizuno. I know I may be leaving a couple of the other brands out. I LOVE the Brooks shoes! LOVE them! They offer the best cushoning and I have not had shin splints ONCE!!!

As per getting up early, I would recommend you get something with a blinking light so that cars can see you. I went down to Academy and got a red light that uses a AAA battery. It was in the bicycle section.

Start out by walking a mile with occational running. Keep at it until you can do it w/o stopping then increase your distance! Dont be afraid to walk because eventually, you will be able to run 4... 5... 6 and beyond w/o stopping.

I have heard great things from C25K program, I never used it - I just started out walking with occational running in the mix. Also, try out the website: http://www.mapmyrun.com - you can create routes and log your time.

I started in April of this year running and on Nov 13th, I am running my first marathon! San Antonio Rock and Roll Marathon - 26.2 miles :):):)
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options

This!