How often should I run?

Options
I am currently working on a schedule that has me running 3 days a week. My 2 mile time is 17 mins, and I'd like to have it as close to 13 mins as possible by December 3rd. Is 3 days a week enough or should I up it to a full week? What are the pros and cons to running everyday? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• FAVOLOSOMII
    FAVOLOSOMII Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm currently completing a C25K program that has me running the same schedule, but I actually try to fit in 4 days a week. I read an article that says you're only as old as you run and the people in the article ran every day. I think as long as your body doesn't betray you, you're fine.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you. If you're used to running, you can probably add a few days to your weekly schedule. If you're still pretty new to it, I'd avoid running more often than every other day to reduce the chances of injuries. You should be doing different runs on different days. 2 miles isn't a very long distance. Are you preparing for a specific race? If you want to increase your speed you should look into running hills or do a Google search and you'll find lots of speed programs and tips.

ETA: I should be more specific. Each day you run should be a little different. One day you should work on increasing distance (10% increase per week, MAXIMUM), another day should be spent on speed intervals or hills. Adding distance does actually help your overall speed, too.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Just incorporate interval/speed training into at least one of your runs.
    How many days a week you run should be based on how you feel. If you feel great running everyday, fine. The con... injury. Over training can lead to injury.
  • tomtrl
    tomtrl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I try to do at least 2 - 3 to 4 mile runs a week, but really go for 3 per week. I do other cardio excercises (kick boxing, ellitptical, etc) on off days.