diet and chronic fatigue

Options
For the last two years I have struggled on and off with exercise and illhealth and its turned out to be down to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Some days are better than others with exercise. I used to run 10km, now I am lucky if I manage 3. Still, I will always try because anything is better than nothing.

Through this illness I have developed a number of food intolerances. My symtoms are much reduced when I stay clear of dairy and wheat but I have found this hard (I also deal with a compulsive eating disorder)...

I've recently read that keeping my saturated fat down to under 20g per day may reduce symptoms further so I am giving this a trial run.

In the past I have lost 100lbs (prior to CFS) and would ideally like to lose the final 35 so maybe this CFS diet will help me to do that.

I'd like to meet some people who have CFS as I am interested to hear how you deal with it. I am particularly interested in hearing from people who have adapted their diet due to the illness and what outcomes this bought.

Replies

• suzikay
    suzikay Posts: 50
    Options
    I've had ME for 23 years! I have been eating gluten-free and wheat-free for quite a number of years now, and it has helped reduce my symptoms, but not totally. I eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, and am cutting back on carbs and fats primarily here - and my husband has been eating along with me and is down a size of trousers already and looking much less cuddly - in a very good way. I always put my large weight gain down to a lack of exercise, but by being careful of what I eat and portion size, guided by this website, I've managed to lose 26lbs so far, since July, and have coped with a complete hip replacement without an exacerbation of my symptoms, which is pleasing. I'm looking forward to being able to return to swimming gently in due course. At this time of year my main problem is catching viral infections the family bring home from school and work, but so far, so good. Good luck with everything and feel free to friend me if you'd like to.
  • minchk1n
    Options
    Hi Suzikay, thanks for your comment. Well done on your weight loss, which is hard enough in itself let alone with ME! I tend to pick up bugs all year around (I'm lucky to go five days without getting ill). Even harder at this time of year! I've added you, nice to meet you.
  • suzikay
    suzikay Posts: 50
    Options
    Good to know you too! I usually catch everything going whatever the season, but of course there's more about at this time of year.

About diet, I'm sure that drinking loads of water the MFP way is good for health too, if only for the exercise of running back and forth to the loo!