I lost my motivation....

Options
ugh... I have completely fallen off the wagon, and lost all motivation. I have managed to lose 25lbs and I still have 15lbs to goal. Its a struggle for me, I have no one to do this with at home. It gets super expensive to cook two meals for dinner, since my husband isn't willing to loose with me. There is always temptations in the house--candy, ice cream, cookies, frozen pizzas, etc.

I NEED someone to push me, but there is no one at home to push me. The one friend I did have was only home for 3 weeks, and now has been back home for months now. I can't afford to go to a gym. plus I live in the middle of nowhere, so its at least a 40min drive to the city.

those who don't have a support system and can't afford a gym, how do you manage?

Replies

• riyahroyce
    Options
    if you can't afford the gym, run. the roads are free.

if you can't get anyone to diet with you or support you, be your own best friend. Not eating **** is really quite simple...don't put it in your mouth. no matter what is in the house or who won't diet with you, nobody except you is putting things in your mouth that make you fat.

and if you don't have motivation, you don't deserve to lose the weight.

and if you need some tough love, friend me. i have an excess of willpower and inspiring words, if you're really serious about losing those last 15
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    hey,
    I know ow you feel, I got like that when I reached 30lbs and honestly every 10 pounds. But I find it better to work out witout a gym. I do all kinds of things. I jump rope and I run. Sometimes I do stregnth training. It just depends on my mood. Don't worry too much about temptations. I believe tings are ok in moderation. So don't beat yourself up over one piece of candy. That is why sugatr is included on here. So you will be able to monitor it. Feel free to add me.
  • krisvtx8777
    Options
    Take it one day at a time. Just like everything else...there's good days in bad days. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and keep on going.
    What helps me is places like this site-I get emails by the dozens daily from every weight loss or dieting site I can-I need constant reminders!
    And everyday my only thought is that....being healthy is by far the most important thing I can do for myself and my family :smile:

Fitness dvds and online exercise videos seem like they may help you out? I'm even willing to send you some of the ones I dont use if you would like!

Kristen
  • Gidge2222
    Options
    If you are the person that is cooking the meals then why don't you just say "eat this or fend for yourself"? Don't allow yourself to make excuses! You can do this!!!
  • IndyMindy85
    IndyMindy85 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have too! Its hard because now Im in college. I do online classes in the evening so its hard to go and work out. To top it off I have a three year old, and I work full time. I just need to prioritize. Today I have decided to go to the gym and get on the elliptical and bring my Political Science book and just read it, so I can kill two birds with one stone. Ive gained like 10 lbs. I was 120 lbs this time last year :(
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I get where you're coming from.. my motivation was slowing down quite a lot but then following a post on here i realised how well i was doing.. you have lost an amazing amount and shoud be very proud of yourself..

as for the hubby not wanting to eat healthy and it costing more why don't you make the same but have a smaller portion? (thats what i do)

I can't afford the gym.. I just can't run (not fit enough) and i struggle quite a lot which is why i do Zumba.. now if you can't get the game (on the nintendo wii) or get to a class then just put a CD on really loudly and just dance your heart out until you're pooring with sweat.. now thats a fun work out!!

Give it a go!!
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    Do whatever it takes to get that motivation back. Decide that YOU are what you're doing this for, not another person. It's great to have someone to hold you accountable, but if you don't have someone to do that, do it for yourself. Post it on Facebook or Twitter and ask people to hold you accountable. Post your food journal and weight...be vulnerable and ask people to comment. There's also lots of websites like this one with people who will encourage you. Hang in there......you can do it.
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    360818231irt2vrhcc.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    If you are the person that is cooking the meals then why don't you just say "eat this or fend for yourself"? Don't allow yourself to make excuses! You can do this!!!
    This. It appalls me when the person who has to eat the food that's cooked, complains if they don't do the cooking.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    if you can't afford the gym, run. the roads are free.

if you can't get anyone to diet with you or support you, be your own best friend. Not eating **** is really quite simple...don't put it in your mouth. no matter what is in the house or who won't diet with you, nobody except you is putting things in your mouth that make you fat.

and if you don't have motivation, you don't deserve to lose the weight.

and if you need some tough love, friend me. i have an excess of willpower and inspiring words, if you're really serious about losing those last 15

What she said.

Don't eat food that makes you fat. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to eat it. Just because your husband is eating it doesn't mean you have to eat it. Even if he's dancing around waving ice cream, cookies and pizza in your face singing "nah nah nah" you still don't have to eat it. No one is force feeding you junk intravenously (and if they are, that's a whole separate problem)

Not having a gym doesn't mean you can't exercise. There are millions of people without access to gyms, myself included, who still manage to get a great workout in. You just have to figure out what works for you and make it happen.

There are always a million excuses you can come up with as to why you can't lose the weight, but when it comes down to it, none of those matter. Either you want to do it or you don't. And if you do, you'll find a way. You just have to want it bad enough.
  • newvictoria
    Options
    So many things I can relate to....

I don't belong to a gym any longer. I haven't in years. I live in a very remote area, far from anything. I ride a bike, hike with a weighted backpack, run, walk, and work with free weights.

My hubs is also like yours. He will go on bike rides during the weekend, but also wants to eat burgers, pizza and fries.
    Lol!

I don't have a personal workout buddy, so I issue myself 30 day personal workout challenges. I add new exercises, longer distances, new goals to keep it fresh. I post my results on MFP to all my friends. I constantly seek out new, active ones who will give me mutual support!

I read motivational stories. Success stories. I read the forum posts and blogs on here.

When I am tempted - I walk! ;)
    Laugh.
    Dance.
    Stay focused, stay motivated. You have come too far to throw it all away. You can do this..... believe!
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I agree it is hard when there is a bunch of not healthy food in the house. Just make sure to serve yourself smaller portions. Pick up some popcorn for snacking.

I run/walk out on the country roads for exercise and also do workout videos.

Quote I like, "Your body, your life, your choice. Do what needs to be done today so that you get to be who you want to be tomorrow."
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You can buy some exercise DVD's. Jillian Michaels has a lot of good ones, and TurboFire is also popular with MFP people. As for cooking 2 meals in the house.... I personally don't think that should be necessary. Cook healthy food, not "diet food". Your husband should be able to eat it too, just in larger quantities. My bf eats all the food I cook. Even my homemade veggie burgers. (Though he puts bacon on them.)

Two of my favourite healthy recipe sites are:

http://www.eatingwell.com/
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/

Feel free to add me if you'd like some support and ideas.
  • sugarlovebug
    sugarlovebug Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Tough love is what I need!! Thanks for all the advice. You all are right!! I do the cooking, I need to put my foot down and cook right for me, my husband and my 2yo!

I have asked for Wii Zumba, and a FitBit for Christmas, we will see if those will happen. lol! I do have 30DS, I managed to do all of level1 and a few days of level 2, then I hurt myself ....that's where it went down hill. I need to try c25k again, I managed 3weeks of it, then I hurt myself. what am I doing wrong here!?!?! I guess I should just stick to walking.

I need to start logging my food again, how do you keep from getting bored with logging it?
  • ProudMomoftwo
    Options
    I have wrangled my kids into being my exercise buddies and motivators. We help each other every day. When one or both of them just doesn't feel like it - I bounce them out of bed and off we go. After about 5min they are chattering away and enjoying themselves.
    When I am not in the mood - they are the ones that are full of energy and ready to go.
    If you have a dog I am SURE he/she would love to be your exercise buddy.
    If you don't have a dog, I am sure there is one you can borrow that needs some exercise ( a friend or neighbor ).
    I don't go to a gym or have a dog. I started out walking and am now doing the C25K program and I just walk / run from neighborhood to neighborhood that makes a loop back to the house.
    A lot of people use Ipods & MP3 players too but I don't have those things. I like to talk to God and think and sort things out while I walk / run and I like to connect with my kids.

As for the cooking, I do all the grocery shopping and cooking so what I make is what everyone eats.
    I don't keep chips, soda, candy, cookies, or processed food in the house.
    I make sure to keep a 4 bean salad, a lettuce salad, a fruit salad, and a bowl of fresh fruit made up ALL the time.
    This helps everyone to make good choices at every meal and with every snack.

You have to be your own cheerleader in this. My Dh isn't doing this with me either.

Keep pushing forward...
  • reba971
    reba971 Posts: 80
    Options
    Your post sounds like I wrote it!
    I have the same problem, picky kids and pickier husband! If I cook healthy and say just eat it they all cry and wine and complain and go eat hot dogs and junk anyway, and I have wasted hours of my day cooking a good meal and cleaning it all up! I get so mad, and frustrated and I usually do what you do and make a meal for them and a healthy meal for me. It sucks! But it is what works for us. I try to make them the things that they love, that I don't love, so that I wont be tempted. Like hot dogs, or sandwiches. This helps a lot. And just having the right mind set about it. Know that you don't want to eat that crap and enjoy what you have made for yourself and how good it is making you feel!
    As for exercise, this too is a tough one for me. I can walk, but we live VERY far out and it is kind of creepy, I get freaked out out here all alone. I try to use headphones and just do it, but I still get freaked out, and people fly down our road very fast which scares me too. I can ride my bike, but that is tough on dirt roads, especially when they are wet. It is almost impossible to ride on my road when it is even a little wet, it is SO muddy! When it is dry, it is like riding a bike in sand! Very tough! A workout though!
    Last weekend I bought an exercise bike off Craigslist for $15, and I love it! I sit in front of the tv and get involved in a show and don't even realize how long I have ridden it! There are lots of exercise machines on Craigslist usually, find which one you like and get one!
    I live in rural Michigan, and the weather is a big factor in working out here. I find that having a variety of things to choose from is a good idea too. I have a Wii and I love to do Just Dance. I have an ipod and I turn it on, and blast up beat music all over the house and no matter what I am doing, I add a little dance to it. Another thing I do, and I know this is gonna sound lame4, I put on my tennis shoes in the morning and don't take them off until night. For some reason just having them on makes me do more. :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    ugh... I have completely fallen off the wagon, and lost all motivation. I have managed to lose 25lbs and I still have 15lbs to goal. Its a struggle for me, I have no one to do this with at home. It gets super expensive to cook two meals for dinner, since my husband isn't willing to loose with me. There is always temptations in the house--candy, ice cream, cookies, frozen pizzas, etc.

I NEED someone to push me, but there is no one at home to push me. The one friend I did have was only home for 3 weeks, and now has been back home for months now. I can't afford to go to a gym. plus I live in the middle of nowhere, so its at least a 40min drive to the city.

those who don't have a support system and can't afford a gym, how do you manage?

LOL, Mark eats what I put on the table and if he doesn't like it he can make something else, having to cook 2 dinners per day is redunk. If he wants to eat *kitten* he can do it after dinner, but it's important for your children to see you both eat real food. This isn't just about you, honey, this is about them too. However, maybe we can come up with some recipe ideas that will trick him into thinking he's eating whatever **** food he wants to eat and you only have to make the one meal? Send me a list of the things that he eats the most and we'll voila it.
  • sugarlovebug
    sugarlovebug Posts: 158 Member
    Options

LOL, Mark eats what I put on the table and if he doesn't like it he can make something else, having to cook 2 dinners per day is redunk. If he wants to eat *kitten* he can do it after dinner, but it's important for your children to see you both eat real food. This isn't just about you, honey, this is about them too. However, maybe we can come up with some recipe ideas that will trick him into thinking he's eating whatever **** food he wants to eat and you only have to make the one meal? Send me a list of the things that he eats the most and we'll voila it.

The man will eat anything, except salmon patties, braunschweiger, and soups. Now DD on the other hand, I have to make a different meal for her anyways. I always giver her alittle of what we eat, but I also load her up on veggies and fruits, that's pretty much all she will eat.

I'm the picky eater, so that's my challenge.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

The man will eat anything, except salmon patties, braunschweiger, and soups. Now DD on the other hand, I have to make a different meal for her anyways. I always giver her alittle of what we eat, but I also load her up on veggies and fruits, that's pretty much all she will eat.

I'm the picky eater, so that's my challenge.

You've been doing awesome! what the f is braunschweiger? Oh, chili made with 99% lean ground turkey is uaually a great option for the whole family. Any recipe subbing chicken or turkey usually goes over well in my house. We still do pizza, but we make it at home with reduced fat cheese (and less of it) and then load it up with veggies, turkey sausage, etc. Mark requires more calories than I do, so he just adjusts his portions accordingly. Hum . . .
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I need to start logging my food again, how do you keep from getting bored with logging it?

I often use MFP for meal/recipe planning. It helps me get organized and plan my grocery shopping.