Any healthy teens out there? seriously.

Options
2»

Replies

• Mrrwmoo
    Mrrwmoo Posts: 44
    Options
    Surprisingly enough, my college has a lot of very healthy and fit people, but then again, 80% of the school is very sports-oriented. 4 out of the 5 people you walk past here will be very fit and healthy, a lot just coming back from the gym or something XD! Of course there are the athletes that eat whatever they like at the fried foods counter at the cafeteria, but knowing the amount of calories they burn at practice every night, I think it's well deserved @.@ . . . Besides the fried food stand, the food is pretty healthy here. One of my friend's friends found a ladybug still alive in her prepackaged salad XP . . .
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the teenage years and the first year or two away from home are when you discover your food independence. Instead of asking and being told that no, you can't have crisps just before dinner, you realise you can get them without asking, that you can eat whatever you want in addition to or instead of the food provided for you.
    My mum left when I was 16 and with my dad working so much, there was noone to stop me from taking a big family sized double pack of cookies and eating them all dunked in milk after school. Plus we were allowed into town when on a free period at school, which meant a trip to get food. I would get giant pork pies or entire cakes to munch every afternoon because they tasted good and I had nothing/noone stopping me.
    When you leave home you don't even have to eat your meals right. Ice cream for breakfast? **** yeah! And alcohol plays z big part too.
    I think It takes most of us a lot of time to learn and understand how to feed ourselves properly. My mum told me that when she was in high school, she was taught how to cook, bake, plan meals and feed a family. When I was in high school we were taught to design packaging for a cereal bar, not even make one.

I really admire those who, surrounded by nutritionally ignorant peers, make the right decisions about their food. You're way ahead of everyone else!
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    DiamondInTheDirt Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yup...I'm 19 and I eat pretty healthy. My mom and dad never really tried to get us to eat healthy when we were younger (we got pizza pops and chips and the fruit roll ups and pudding and such for lunches) but when I hit around 13 or 14 I started to eat healthier. I was the one asking my mom to buy more fruit and buy whole grain breads and all of that.

Everybody thought I was weird because I tried to eat healthy. When my cousin lived in the same town as I she said she wanted to lose weight (don't think she wanted to that much) but yet she'd be the one telling me that if I want ice cream I should just eat it. I'd say "oh I really want ice cream but I shouldn't" and it's like that with most my friends. It doesn't help any!

And then again I also know a ton of people who like that eat like a cow but stay skinny as a stick type...damn, that's hard to be around sometimes because they're eating all this crap that you want (seriously, if you're eating a super delicious donut, I'm gonna want it too or if you have pizza and it looks good.........)

Overall, i think most teens aren't healthy because they don't care. A lot of them are the eat like a cow but skinny as a stick so it doesn't bother them and future health doesn't concern them. And some teens just don't care at the moment if they're overweight as long as they get to eat all the junk that they wanna eat.

Ahhh right! I know this girl right...and shes thin as a stick and she tells me how to loose weight...and her weight is 110 lbs and shes like 5ft7. she eats absolutely everything! as soon as she wakes up she will have something sugary...she might look good now, but wait till she gets older! Also peole who eat crap seem to try and sabotage my healthy eating habits!
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    Options
    i work at red rooster and got asked by a coworker today why i dont eat it :/ srsly?!

Lol, people dont seem to care what goes in their food anymore!
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    Options
    Surprisingly enough, my college has a lot of very healthy and fit people, but then again, 80% of the school is very sports-oriented. 4 out of the 5 people you walk past here will be very fit and healthy, a lot just coming back from the gym or something XD! Of course there are the athletes that eat whatever they like at the fried foods counter at the cafeteria, but knowing the amount of calories they burn at practice every night, I think it's well deserved @.@ . . . Besides the fried food stand, the food is pretty healthy here. One of my friend's friends found a ladybug still alive in her prepackaged salad XP . . .

Wow thats the first time i hear of college students being healthy! and LOL at the lady bug haha. Wish i attended a college where they didnt just sell food dunked in 1 litre of oil =[
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    Options
    In my experience, the teenage years and the first year or two away from home are when you discover your food independence. Instead of asking and being told that no, you can't have crisps just before dinner, you realise you can get them without asking, that you can eat whatever you want in addition to or instead of the food provided for you.
    My mum left when I was 16 and with my dad working so much, there was noone to stop me from taking a big family sized double pack of cookies and eating them all dunked in milk after school. Plus we were allowed into town when on a free period at school, which meant a trip to get food. I would get giant pork pies or entire cakes to munch every afternoon because they tasted good and I had nothing/noone stopping me.
    When you leave home you don't even have to eat your meals right. Ice cream for breakfast? **** yeah! And alcohol plays z big part too.
    I think It takes most of us a lot of time to learn and understand how to feed ourselves properly. My mum told me that when she was in high school, she was taught how to cook, bake, plan meals and feed a family. When I was in high school we were taught to design packaging for a cereal bar, not even make one.

I really admire those who, surrounded by nutritionally ignorant peers, make the right decisions about their food. You're way ahead of everyone else!

Hmm. it seems like youre the complete opposite to me. My mother is the one who fed me with crap, and i guess it was hard for her to say no. It makes me so angry that she can use olive oil in food, yet she chooses to dunk everything in sunflower oil...its like im the one whos being responsible and wants to feed my brother, my self and my mum with the right stuff lol My mum never ever said no to me when i wanted an icecream or a i would eat a whole packet of sweets...i was so spoiled as a child, and thats reflected on my weight. So now i have to fix myself because no one was there for me to do it as a child.
  • InvictusPheonix
    InvictusPheonix Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    hahaha i feel like a terrible influence. I'm trying to moderate my eating habits... i literally LOVE exercise and would workout until my body falls apart if I had the time/chance, unfortunately, that makes it really easy to eat like shiiiiiit- negating most of my gains of strength/speed (still fairly slim though)
    my significant other is the healthiest/like hardly any body fat/muscle-y person... pretty sure he's secretly peer pressuring me to eat less sugar!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My 17-yo daughter is a healthy teen. She loves veggies and fruit and tofu. I'm vegan, so she eats vegan most of the time with me. She drinks only water and has for the longest time. She loves to exercise. All this said, she is not a super skinny teen and it just bugs her so much. She is actually curvy (like a 1940's pin-up model curvy) and while she has the most adorable figure, she doesn't see it that way. She struggles with her self image because all her friends eat junk and are super skinny. :^/
  • bbabs99
    bbabs99 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm a college student as well. On Sunday, while watching Football, my friend, who had, to his credit, just crushed my fantasy team, ordered himself a large "Victory Pizza" from Domino's and proceeded toe at the entire thing. He's over weight, but I have many a skinny friend who pull that off. Whenever we go to the dining halls my friends like to poke fun at me for my salad bar/piece of fruit/whole grain carb and skim milk that I get basically every trip.
  • Mrrwmoo
    Mrrwmoo Posts: 44
    Options

Wow thats the first time i hear of college students being healthy! and LOL at the lady bug haha. Wish i attended a college where they didnt just sell food dunked in 1 litre of oil =[

Yeah, we have wonderful sunny, warm weather here and the food is brought in locally within a 30 mile radius. Bay Area California, FTW!
  • JeepsMcCreeps
    Options
    I'm turning 19 in December and I've been vegan for almost 4 years. I try to eat as healthy as possible, but I also have a big sweet tooth. :o
    I kick my *kitten* though. I try to do at least some sort of workout everyday. It does piss me off that I see so many skinny girls at my college eating a bag of doritos and you can tell they wouldn't know an elliptical if it hit them in the face.
    I'm curvy, in a sense (36-26-36), so I struggle with the way I look as well.
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    im 16 and i eat pretty healthy!
    every morning, i eat oatmeal. i dont put anything in it besides water, oats, sliced almonds, pine nuts, walnuts and cinnamon.
    for lunch, i make a sandwich from home to bring to school. whole wheat sandwich thin with 3 slices of turkey, lettuce, and spinach. then i come home and eat brown rice with beans, veggies, and soup. then i sometimes have that for dinner too. i do eat snacks inbetween and at times, ill have something that isnt too healthy such as a granola bar or cookies.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I have two very thin and active daughters who eat pretty healthy. They have always eaten fruits and vegetables and not a lot of fast food. They do like sweets though. As I have changed my diet, so have they. The oldest is in college and buys almost al her food at Trader Joe's or tries to eat out at healthier places like Panera or Chipotle. She read "Omnivore's Dilemma" her freshman year and learned a lot about food! She eats turkey and chicken but doesn't really cook much meat. She loves eggs, pasta or rice with lots of vegetables.

My youngest said people at her high school always comment on her lunch being so healthy and when I said something about her trail mix or Annie's cracker snacks not being the absolutely healthiest (although a healthier alternative for snacks) she said I should see what most people eat. Her lunch is usually peanut butter and jelly (all fruit or organic) on a locally made organic whole wheat bread ( no preservaitves or GMO crap), organic grapes, apple or strawberries, nuts or trail mix and some kind of snacky food. Sometimes she has vegetables. Also she drinks 100% juice for lunch and water at home. She has been a vegetarian for 5 years.

While at home they always eat breakfast before school - either eggs, oatmeal or homemade pancakes with pure maple syrup.

They do have cookies sometimes but we try to stick to home baked. We are trying really hard to avoid GMO and packaged foods. It isn't easy but they are raising their awareness and hopefully will grow up to stay thin and healthy!
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    Options
    I'm turning 19 in December and I've been vegan for almost 4 years. I try to eat as healthy as possible, but I also have a big sweet tooth. :o
    I kick my *kitten* though. I try to do at least some sort of workout everyday. It does piss me off that I see so many skinny girls at my college eating a bag of doritos and you can tell they wouldn't know an elliptical if it hit them in the face.
    I'm curvy, in a sense (36-26-36), so I struggle with the way I look as well.

OMG! Girl you have an hour glass figure...which is PERFECTION! I would give you my top heavy figure any day for yours! But yeah most teens dont know the consequences of eating crap because they arent the usual physical ones like weight gain so they eat crap.
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    Options
    im 16 and i eat pretty healthy!
    every morning, i eat oatmeal. i dont put anything in it besides water, oats, sliced almonds, pine nuts, walnuts and cinnamon.
    for lunch, i make a sandwich from home to bring to school. whole wheat sandwich thin with 3 slices of turkey, lettuce, and spinach. then i come home and eat brown rice with beans, veggies, and soup. then i sometimes have that for dinner too. i do eat snacks inbetween and at times, ill have something that isnt too healthy such as a granola bar or cookies.

What helps you stay on track? are all your friends healthy? or have you got a lot of willpower?
  • DiamondInTheDirt
    Options
    I'm a college student as well. On Sunday, while watching Football, my friend, who had, to his credit, just crushed my fantasy team, ordered himself a large "Victory Pizza" from Domino's and proceeded toe at the entire thing. He's over weight, but I have many a skinny friend who pull that off. Whenever we go to the dining halls my friends like to poke fun at me for my salad bar/piece of fruit/whole grain carb and skim milk that I get basically every trip.

I dont understand why people find it funny when others eat healthy, theyre the ones at loss lol it makes me sooo angry haha.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i'm 19, and i am healthy. one of my teammates only eats all organic, all vegan. Healthy people exist.

don't make excuses :D
  • swagson
    swagson Posts: 11
    Options
    Haha, yeah, people really don't eat healthy these days. It would be easy to make a healthy lunch... but going to Mc donalds is even easier and tastier. At least that's what a lot of people tend to think! One of my friends who brought a big mac from mc donalds for lunch one day even said herself, "this has no taste".