Greetings all!

msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
edited September 18 in Introduce Yourself
How is everyone? This is my first post. So far I'm loving this site, its very simple to use and its giving me a ton of good information.

So far the calorie counter has kind of opened my eyes about what I thought were actually healthy food choices - and how they're not nearly so healthy as I thought.

I do have a few questions though... are there any paintball or airsoft players here? I make that part of my weekly exercise regimen but I'm not really sure how to add it to my exercise plan. Its a lot of running, jumping, climbing, short bursts of sprinting, crawling, etc.

Also, I can't really afford to join a gym, and my neighborhood is not really some place I want to ride my bike/go jogging in (for the next 2 months I'm stuck in a gang-ridden ghetto). I may get a set of rollers for my bike with my tax return but it depends on how much money I have left. Can anyone reccomend good cardio and exercises that can be done in your living room without much in the way of equipment?

Replies

• msarro
    How is everyone? This is my first post. So far I'm loving this site, its very simple to use and its giving me a ton of good information.

So far the calorie counter has kind of opened my eyes about what I thought were actually healthy food choices - and how they're not nearly so healthy as I thought.

I do have a few questions though... are there any paintball or airsoft players here? I make that part of my weekly exercise regimen but I'm not really sure how to add it to my exercise plan. Its a lot of running, jumping, climbing, short bursts of sprinting, crawling, etc.

Also, I can't really afford to join a gym, and my neighborhood is not really some place I want to ride my bike/go jogging in (for the next 2 months I'm stuck in a gang-ridden ghetto). I may get a set of rollers for my bike with my tax return but it depends on how much money I have left. Can anyone reccomend good cardio and exercises that can be done in your living room without much in the way of equipment?
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Skip rope !!!!!!!!
    i love it, quite challenging at first but do sets that you are comfortable with, like sets of 20-30 and take a 20-30 sec break.. its a very good cardio. also, there are good dvds out there for a good workout, i personaly like tae-bo. is there a public swimming pool near by ? its typicly cheaper then a gym. and still a good workout.

otherwise, welcome to the site, hope it helps you to reach your goals, we try to be as supportive as possible !!!

take care, may
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Hi msarro and welcome! :flowerforyou:

I have a jogging trampoline that I use whenever I'm watching t.v.. Low impact on the knees & beats planting my butt on the couch! :tongue:

Good luck to you! :smile:
  • KathyR
    KathyR Posts: 67 Member
    my son plays paintball and i know how expensive it is to play, but it is a very good workout doing it, you are working out every part of your body while playing. I can't aford to have membership at a gym right now either, but i have snuck down and paid for just the day, $6, i also sometimes during the week will marching in place at a good pace for 10 minutes rest a couple then do that 2 more times for a 20 minute workout and it burns alot of calories and it is cardio exercise. Good luck :smile:
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    I use my back steps as a "stepper" and sometimes do like twenty minutes of that. If you have steps you could use that. They also make elastic bands you can use for resistance. I use them when I am travelling. They are about five bucks and tuck nicely into a suitcase.
    Cowboy
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    An aerobics or kickboxing video could work, or try some jogging on the spot. Jumping jacks with weights, skipping rope even dancing!
  • msarro
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'm a bit disheartened so far... according to the counter I should take in about 1430 calories to hit my weight goal, and so far I'm at just over 1000. I never realized how many calories I was taking in every day and how unhealthy some of the 'healthy' things I was eating were!

As for paintball, its extremely expensive to play... I don't do that so much as I play airsoft these days (much cheaper but pretty much the exact same game). I'm a pacifist, but it lets me get that dang testosterone-y urge to be violent taken care of in a pro-social way, lol :)

I'm going to try jumping rope and using the steps as a stepper. Since I'm in an apartment building there's an abundance of steps for me to use.

I really need to find some cheap, healthy meals which means I need to do some cooking!
  • Cruizer
    Cruizer Posts: 5
    Subway......:$5 foot longs..... then you don't have to cook..... smile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    I stock up on chicken breasts, if you buy them with skin and bone they are a lot cheaper... and you can remove the skin yourself :) also brown rice in a BIG bag lol and remember, frozen vegetables have the same nutrients as fresh ones... but they're a LOT cheaper!
  • nice im a major paintballer my self but the winter has cut it down for me:sad:
This discussion has been closed.