Ideas for rewards?

I need some ideas on ways to reward myself for a successful week of making better food choices. The only thing I've come up with is a portion controlled dessert -- ironic, huh?

Other low-cost ideas? How do you reward yourself?

Replies

• wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    I never use food as a reward, per se. I eat whatever I want within moderation, so allowing myself a candybar doesn't help because I don't deny them to myself.... what I do reward myself with at milestones is maybe a nice dinner out (Indian food this past weekend) or a new piece of clothing that is meant to honor my healthy lifestyle journey. I try to do things for me that enhance my life not just give me a different piece of food... I have heard of friends doing things like putting a dollar in a jar everytime they want a dessert... it makes them think about what they eat before they eat it... good luck.
  • I heard one person is rewarding herself by making weight loss beads and putting them on a bracelet. Each one is 10 pounds. I took the idea from her and I'm running with it. =] I also reward myself with workout clothes sometimes.
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    It isn't really a cheap idea but I love clothing like prAna or stuff from title nine and it is kind of expensive (some things are more reasonable) but I have promised myself something from one of those sites when I finally dip out of the 170's (been 3 lbs from my new clothes for a while now) grr

Also I love magazines they tend to be inexpensive so maybe you could use that as a reward also.
  • I reward myself with a clothing item in the size of my goal weight. I do this cause it motivates me to lose weight and get into it sooner. The more I look at the get clothes it motivates me.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    NO - never reward yourself with food.....
    mani/pedi
    a new pair of shoes or pants or outfit?

I rewarded myself with a new tattoo when I hit 40 pounds down.... I'm due for another since I passed 80 pounds down! :)
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    It is not always good to reward yourself with food but as you stated, portion controlled. There are hundreds of dessert choices that are not killers in the fat and sweet department. You can make healthy and portioned controlled choices for a dessert reward. I often used my cheat day as a reward. A cheat day (or cheat meal in my case) was something I was committed to in order to work in a little zig zag on my calories.
    If I made my goal then I would choose something for my cheat that I had been wanting for a long time but if not no cheat.

I have since changed that and quit the food reward. Instead I found little rewards.

You mention low cost but how about setting a series of small goals at which point you put X number of dollars aside each time and then when you reach your bigger goal you get to spend the reward money? Gives you a nice way to monitor your reward and also helps pay for those new clothes that you will eventually be buying.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    I opt for pedi and mani - it is relaxing and is all for me.
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    I agree with others - don't use food to reward yourself! :)

How about getting yourself a book you've wanted to read - or an audio book you can listen to while exercising? A new cd or set of music mp3s? How about some good smelling bath and body stuff (soaps and lotions)?

I highly recommend rewards that you can enjoy over a period of a time...so that while you are using the item, you can remember the hard work it took to get to that point and it is encouraging you to continue on!

I made myself some very high priced rewards, of which I only ever did buy one of. This is because after the first ten pounds, I didn't really need the rewards any more. Seeing the changes in my body and seeing how far I can move physically has been all the reward I need! I know you can get there too!
  • tbclay
    tbclay Posts: 3
    Thanks for the ideas -- keep them coming!

I try to subscribe to a moderation theory -- so a reasonable food reward works for me: not a bag of Oreos, but a dessert with dinner at a restaurant, or an ice cream cookie sandwich from the freezer (just one!).

I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with these kinds of rewards for a week well spent. They are not the behaviors that got me fat; in fact, they are the kinds of behaviors I need to practice!

But I'd love some more options...