Can't....Wake....Up.....

Options
scapez
scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
Here's my problem, I an having the most terrible time waking up in the morning lately. I suspect the reasons are:

- It's dark and cold in the mornings now and
- I recently quit smoking, so I don't have the "first cig of the a.m." motivation to get me out of bed.

The things is, I have all good intentions...I'll put my phone somewhere where I have to get out of bed to get it when the alarm goes off, I'll go to bed earlier, etc., but when that alarm goes off my reasonable brain is nowhere to be found and it's like I can't think properly and I lose all rational thinking and just want to sleep more (and usually do) regardless of the price I have to pay for it (rushing around like a crazy person getting ready for work).

Anyone else going through this? What are your tricks to get past it?

Replies

• Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    How many hours of sleep are you getting? can you go to bed any earlier? do you sleep through, or do things wake you up in the middle (I'm suffering through a 5year old going to the bathroom, but it's better than the alternative!)

Is it time to change the clocks yet??
  • sineadangele1
    sineadangele1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    ugh yea i hate this time of year. all i wanna do is stay under my nice comfy warm blanket and sleep all day. i've missed two days of classes because of this.....not good.
  • kdchick99
    kdchick99 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    BUMP! My husband does from time to time push me out of bed, but the thought of just 10 to 20 more minutes of sleep is so powerful. I also noticed I was not sleeping well. How are you sleeping? I have started putting lavender lotion on my arms and hands before bed, so I can smell it as I fall alseep.
  • mmelledge
    mmelledge Posts: 150
    Options
    Consistency is key. Try to go to bed/get up at the same times every day. I have the same problem that you described, and have since I was little! I'll set the alarm and put the clock as far on the other side of the room as I can, only to get up and turn it completely off so I don't have to get up for the snooze in 8 minutes. :yawn:

I was doing better with the "get up at the same time" thing until I went back to work in retail a year ago. Some days I have to be there at 5am, others not until afternoon (though I'm usually still up around 7am with my kids on these days).

I just realized this probably isn't helping a lot, is it! LOL I guess my bottom line is that I need to be accountable to someone besides me to really drag my *kitten* out of bed. Usually the someones are 11 and 5 years old.
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    Get stupid drunk every night..... go to a bar and find the most repulsive man you can.

Always end up back at this persons place for the night.

You will find getting the hell out of bed, up, dressed and out of the house so fast in the AM.....
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    @Laura, I get about 7-8 hours/night. I sleep through with the exception of a few nightly wake ups (courtesy of being over 40 I guess) but I fall back asleep easily, so that's not really a problem.

@don, great suggestion - why haven't I thought of this yet?!?!?
  • mom12
    mom12 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Get stupid drunk every night..... go to a bar and find the most repulsive man you can.

Always end up back at this persons place for the night.

You will find getting the hell out of bed, up, dressed and out of the house so fast in the AM.....

hahahaha! etoh adds calories though.....still funny..
  • mom12
    mom12 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bed at same time every night, a routine before you go that's the same every night, have your coffee (if you like coffee) all set to be turned on or self start in the morning...the smell of that coffee is something I love and it helps me get out of bed. and.. i used to smoke too until may, for some reason a cigarette in the morning didn't help me get up..it's alwasy been the coffee....

:smooched: :bigsmile: :yawn:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    This happens to me every year when the mornings are darker and there is generally less light in the day. For me it usually takes a few weeks and then I'm back to normal.
  • sandislim
    sandislim Posts: 264
    Options
    I'm finding it soo difficult to get up in the mornings too at the mo. Clocks will go back soon so it might be a bit easier. In any case I find if I go to bed super early I can get up early. Its just getting to bed early thats the trouble....