Anyone else get the shakes?

Options
I have always had issue with getting weak, hot flashes, and shaky if I don't snack - yes, I tryed eating better meals that should have kept my levels even but I can't seem to make it happen on just meals - I need to snack (dentist says I am full of crap) but my sister tends to have the same issue. Not diabetic but possibly hypoglycemic. Anyway, I am wondering if anyone else has this issue and how you work a low calorie count while not ending up a blob in a chair wishing you had the strength to get to the cupboard for a spoonful of peanut butter.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough. Eat more.
  • rowlandk
    rowlandk Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do get this way too when I haven't eaten for a while. I have actually found that a can of tuna in water will help me out a great deal. If I can't get any food at the moment, even a juice with a few calories in it will help. Water doesn't usually do much. I think it's just your body telling you it needs fuel. My head gets all full of pressure and I can't think straight and my hands start shaking. I even get nauseous and vomit if I wait too long to eat. Just when you do eat something, make sure it's something that will fuel you, and not empty calories.
  • tinkerbella01
    Options
    I have hypoglycemia, and used to get the shakes regularly due to my sugar being too low. I always keep some hard candies (tic tacs, jolly ranchers) in my purse. In addition, when I feel them start or start to feel light headed I try to grab a fruit to keep me going until I can get to something more filling. I keep the fruit at my desk at work, so there is always something in reach. Juice is another good option, it will boost your suger up until you can get to something else.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Hypoglycemic sounds right and it could be only temporary. I get the shakes in mid-morning if I have not had carbohydrates for breakfast. A slice of bread usually settles out the shakes. YMMV
  • 1Set1Rep
    Options
    That's definitely not good. Some vegetables or protein might subside this without spiking blood sugar back up and repeating the cycle. Try to be aware of when this happens & what causes it and you can find your own answers.

It might be too low of calories OR you might be having too much caffeine
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I did, but I lost a lot, and I eat 6 times a day. All meals are a mix of protein and carbs, good carbs. you can friend me and look at my log if you like.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Yep. I felt this exact way when I used to severely restrict my calories. Once I started eating more and eating more often (I eat every 2-3 hours.. it keeps my blood sugars level which helps me a) feel better and b) avoid binging) I stopped feeling that way.

Try eating something every couple hours. There's nothing wrong with snacking - as long as you aren't blowing your calories by consuming crap. Account for the stuff in your daily calories and you'll be fine.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've started keeping apples in my car (it sounds stupid, but it's a lifesaver). I keep things like fruit, nuts and granola bars in my desk at work, too. My doctor thinks I'm nuts for having to snack throughout the day, but if I don't, I'm like you...shaky, hot flashes and even headaches. I just make sure that I plan on these things throughout the day--It's more like I have 5-6 small meals during the day. :)
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I get headaches, dizziness, & shakes when I haven't had enough to eat. Especially if I have skipped a meal. In extreme cases I have even had my vision go black (& passed out for a second once).

You have to make sure you are eating enough & snacks aren't bad. I have a place for snacks after every meal in my diary. Just make sure to choose healthy stuff.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have that issue as well. Frequent snacks such as 4oz yogurt, 1 portion of almonds, apple, etc. help to do the trick.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I've been hypoglycemic and it does sound like that's what you have going on. What helped me was 5-6 small meals per day with no big meals. Restricting my carb intake. Always having a protein with any carb. Be somewhat active shortly after a meal like a short walk, a bit of housework, even just cleaning up the kitchen after the meal, whatever as movement helps burn up the glucose rise from eating so your pancreas doesn't need to dump quite as much insulin in the system which can, later, cause the glucose drop which causes those hypoglycemic symptoms.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Yes I get like this when I am really hungry and I have not eaten for more than 4-5h. Bananas are my quick and healthy and CLEAN solution to this (usually happens in the middle of the city, when I am running around).
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    I usually eat mini meals... I have issues with my sugar dropping if I go along time between meals... then I get shakey and a little crazy! I usually eat really good and have two-three snacks... just make sure you take these in to account when tracking your food and meal planning... also I always keep some emergency hard tack candies in my purse!
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't shake but I get dizzy light headed cold very tired and stomach cramps.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Raise your protein levels at meal times. Your glucose (sugar) levels have probably dropped below what your system can deal with. You need to make an appointment with your primary physician (make certain you print off a copy of your daily food diary and exercise diary for at least 7 days to take with you). Make written notes on those diaries about your symptoms and times of day they occurred.

Ask your physician about the possibility of ordering a special blood test called an: A-1-C
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    When you plan out your meals, aim for foods that are "Low Glycemic" - basically these foods take longer to digest therefore sustaining your hunger until you are truly hungry.

Perhaps a combination of better meal planning and targeting low GI foods is a good start for you.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've been hypoglycemic and it does sound like that's what you have going on. What helped me was 5-6 small meals per day with no big meals. Restricting my carb intake. Always having a protein with any carb. Be somewhat active shortly after a meal like a short walk, a bit of housework, even just cleaning up the kitchen after the meal, whatever as movement helps burn up the glucose rise from eating so your pancreas doesn't need to dump quite as much insulin in the system which can, later, cause the glucose drop which causes those hypoglycemic symptoms.

This is me, too. I also make sure I have a healthy fat with my protein and carb. But the key for me is NO BIG meals. I used to think if I ate enough at one sitting, I would not get the symptoms you describe. But I found the opposite to be true. I have to eat less and eat more often. The actual calorie count is the same or perhaps even less in total. The other step is the mild exercise throughout the day. This was hard for me to get used to but it seems to keep blood sugar steadier.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I get very lightheaded and irritable when I don't eat. What I like to do is pre-plan my meals for the day......and log them. Add the snacks in there too. That way you know how many calories you are eating and you take into account the snacks. If I know I'm going to exercise and about how many calories I will burn I add that in too so I'm eating my exercise calories during the day and not saving them up until the evening. Plus I don't have to worry about what to eat because I already know.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, and it's a big part of how I got overweight in the first place. MFP has helped me better track my eating to identify triggers and solutions. I now know I can't eat pizza for lunch. I need protein and fiber for breakfast and lunch. A piece of fruit a few hours after each meal. If I don't eat a handful of nuts at 4:30 before my bike ride home at 5, I will have an episode. More than half of my daily calories are snacks, but I keep my totals down and have lost weight AND reduced episodes.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I met with a nutritionist who taught me how to balance my meals better so that I don't get so shaky during the day. I definitely get that way if I eat too little or not at all. I sometimes drink a glucerna shake to offset a really light meal or I'll drink OJ or have hard candy to help bring it back up. Talk to your doctor, they may have better suggestions.