Replies

• Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    absolutely
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    yes, however it is not the same level of cardio as swimming, cycling, and running. working on an urg is an intense workout, and i love it. make sure you have proper form, and don't be afraid to go on a very low intensity. hell, i only go at like, level 5-6 intensity. and doing about 20 minutes absolutly kills me.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    what's the difference in level from cycling and running?
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yep, and it's great for the arms, shoulders and back. I love it!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    what's the difference in level from cycling and running?

i wasn't clear in my statement. rowing is definetly cardio, it puts a lot of stress on muscles making it a combination aerobic-anerobic work out. you can experience a great burn from it, but it takes time to develop proper form. i think most ppl tend to use their upper body more, and not the legs.

OP, try to see how fast you can do about 5000 meters, which is a great thing to shot for.
  • LeighYan91
    Options
    I need to loose weight before I think of gaining muscle or anything will the rowing machine benefit weight loss?
  • oldultrarunner
    oldultrarunner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Rowing on an ERG rowing machine, specifically on a Concept2 where you can increase/decrease intensity, is an outstanding aerobic workout. In fact, rowing is one of the best aerobic workouts available because such a large group of muscles are worked during the workout. All the large muscle groups get worked, the legs, back, arms, abominals. The most important thing in starting a workout or using an ERG is FORM!!! You can very easily injure yourself if you don't know what you're doing and just jump onto a rowing machine. Many people end up hurting their backs and shoulders just because they have no idea on form. My advice would be that if you're wanting to start, would be to find someone who rowed in college and ask them to help you get the correct form. Otherwise, if you don't get the correct form, you'll probably end up hurting yourself and stop doing it.
  • Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle will actually facilitate fat loss and help you burn more calories over time as well as increase metabolism. I don't understand why people think you have to do one before the other but it is something I see a lot here and is a misconception.

But to answer your question, yes rowing will help in fat/weight loss as well as building strength.
  • oldultrarunner
    oldultrarunner Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At one time during my running career, Runner's World had done a short study on an estimate of how many miles equated between cycling and running and as I recall it was about 4-5 miles of cycling equated to approximately 1 mile of running. I never found that to be the case given you use such different muscle groups in running from cycling. In cycling, essentially you're using the quadriceps muscle group as opposed to in running, the quads, hamstrings, calf muscles, abominals and some upper body are used. For me, there was never an equation as running a marathon or ultramarathon of 50K to 50 miles and upward to 100 miles, would leave me sore and dead tired after the finish. Whereas in cycling, I ride 100 to 200 miles and my legs don't really feel tired or sore.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I've paddled quite a bit (outrigger mostly). It's a fantastic workout, not on the same level cardio wise as running or swimming or what have you, but I think it gives you the benefit of a full body strength workout on top of it's cardio benefits that's hard to pass up.

Form is important, if you're doing it right there's a good chance that your legs will tire from rowing before your arms or back.