Is it possible to lose 30 lbs in 2 weeks?!

Options
kristilovescake
kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
The reason I'm posting this in chit-chat, etc is because it's more of a rant/confusion than an actual question.

I'm doing a Biggest Loser competition at my gym and it really forced me to push myself for the first two weeks, which was awesome! At the first weigh-in (14 days after the kick-off initial weigh in) I felt great because I lost 5 lbs! But here is where the rant/confusion starts:

There is a woman that is probably around 40-ish years old and roughly 5’-7” (no idea on actual age or height since I’ve never paid much attention to her up close) that isn’t very big to begin with.. and she lost 33 pounds in two weeks! WTF?! It was around 19-20% of her total body weight, so you can do the math to figure out her weight.

I’m just baffled by how this is possible and I’m convinced she must have blown the initial weigh-in by eating a ton beforehand (or stuffing her pockets?) so her numbers would look better and she can win the $500 if she loses the biggest % of weight.

I was told she spends about 3 hours a day at the gym doing cardio (and I see her just about every time I’m there), but still, is it actually possible to lose 33 lbs in two weeks even if you are totally working your booty off and eating low calories? I’m curious to see what her numbers look like at the next weigh-in, since we’ve only had the one weigh in since the initial weighing.

Am I just being cynical? Is this actually possible?

(Not curious about how healthy/unhealthy it is, just wondering if it’s actually possible)

Replies

• Mynue_Jeens
    Mynue_Jeens Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well it happens sometimes in just one week on the show Biggest Loser so it's entirely possible if she started out very large and over ate a lot before starting this challenge.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    If it's possible....which I doubt....It can't be at all healthy!

I'll be interested to see what others think.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Your theory sounds likely....post us on her next loss.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    It does seem like a big stretch. I think it depends on how much she weighed to begin with. People who weigh more lose more at the start. However, it doesn't seem very healthy.
  • lulabellarama
    lulabellarama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Given her weight, this is impossible. You cannot lose 10% of your body weight in a week.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Maybe, but should you? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Please love your body enough not to do this to it.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Yes, in that it's possible to lose 30 pounds in 2 weeks.
    No, in that there's no rightly way she lost that much fat.
    I'm guessing there was foul-play involved. She was probably severely dehydrated by the end, too.
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    if you burn 105,000 calories in two weeks then yes. That breaks down to 7,500 calorie deficit a day. I am pretty sure she probably just worked out hard. Regardless of how she put the weight on she still had to lose it. Hard to believe they wouldn't check her body for added weight 9seriously who would go thru the trouble for $500?).

Morale of this story..burn more claories and eat healthier.
  • Jdr8023
    Jdr8023 Posts: 11
    Options
    Yeah if you work out for 6 to 8 hrs a day for two weeks and weigh like 500 lbs and even then its hard to lose that much weight.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Probably, if it involves decapitation or amputation:laugh: .
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Well she could have worked it in her favor for the initial weigh in by drinking a ton of water right before. But I have no idea if it still would show THAT MUCH. Holy shiznit! That's a lot weight to lose in two weeks.

I dunno. Are you sure it said 33 lbs and not 3 POINT 3 lbs?
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Well it happens sometimes in just one week on the show Biggest Loser so it's entirely possible if she started out very large and over ate a lot before starting this challenge.

That was my first thought, until I read that it was 19-20% of her total body weight. I have no idea. That's just crazy talk.
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    The only thing that I can think of is that she was obese and had a ton of water weight due to higher sodium intake. Cleaning up nutrition should do that, but thats a frightening amount of weight to lose in a 2 week period. Even when I had the flu, I have lost like 10lbs in a week. Thats scary, not like scary "great" like SCARY!
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Maybe she is doing the HCG thing. I have a feeling you are right about the pocket stuffing...lol
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Yes that is very possible. However most of this weight was most likely water weight and not actual fat loss.
  • Lindsayrob
    Lindsayrob Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I reckon she must have loaded up on water before the initial weigh in! Even so, that' s still pretty major. If she is always at the gym, then this can't be a new habit, and she must have been taking care of herself for a while so no reason for a huge initial loss!
    Whatever the reasons, it's certainly not healthy! How long does your competition last? There will be nothing left of her!
  • murdsmob
    Options
    I thought i was doing well with 13lbs in 2 weeks. mind you, I am not at the gym for that amount of time each day! Doesn't sound at all healthy. Next time you see her, she may be being carted off to hospital if she carries on. I think she probably had a few burgers and fried breakfasts beforehand.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Maybe, but should you? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Please love your body enough not to do this to it.

Not planning on it :) I'm very happy with my 2ish pound a week loss.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I remember watchin that motorcycle show with the son and dad (american choppers? orange county?) anyway. Before they weighed in, the dad put some heavy parts in his pockets/pantlegs etc. And weighed probably 10-15lbs more.

Doesn't seem very possible to me.

If moneys the incentive, seems even less possible.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Sounds highly suspicious. If it were purely water weight that would equate to about 4 gallons of water. She probably weighted herself down on the initial weigh in and had a very full GI tract. Short of hemodialysis or a table saw accident involving both lower extremities at about mid thigh.... I don't think so.