Low Sodium Protein Suggestions?

Options
eonblue
eonblue Posts: 35 Member
I have been trying to stick to a higher protein diet lately but have noticed that most pre-packaged convenient protein type products (cold cuts, beef jerky) are astronomically high in sodium and I think this might be hindering my weight loss a bit. I've been eating a lot of beef jerky and imitation crab meat for the most part because its quick and easy but the amount of sodium in these in comparison to the amount of protein im trying to consume each day is astronomical!

I eat a lot off egg egg beaters, some hummus, zone bars (but then I get too much sugar if do too many of those) I do grilled chicken a lot, which is good but not as convenient as I'd like it to be...

Anything I can just grab and go that's really high in proteint and not quite so high in everything else and that isn't going to give me a freakin heart attack? :mad:

I suppose I just need to be better at prepping my food the night before but often I just don't have the time.

Replies

• eonblue
    Options
    I have been trying to stick to a higher protein diet lately but have noticed that most pre-packaged convenient protein type products (cold cuts, beef jerky) are astronomically high in sodium and I think this might be hindering my weight loss a bit. I've been eating a lot of beef jerky and imitation crab meat for the most part because its quick and easy but the amount of sodium in these in comparison to the amount of protein im trying to consume each day is astronomical!

I eat a lot off egg egg beaters, some hummus, zone bars (but then I get too much sugar if do too many of those) I do grilled chicken a lot, which is good but not as convenient as I'd like it to be...

Anything I can just grab and go that's really high in proteint and not quite so high in everything else and that isn't going to give me a freakin heart attack? :mad:

I suppose I just need to be better at prepping my food the night before but often I just don't have the time.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Protein powder and more natural foods. like lean meats, processed foods always have lots of sodium in them

HTH
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Nuts. The ultimate protein snack. And Peas, beans, most legumes in general have high protein.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,949 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

processed foods are terribly high in sodium
    maybe you can take baby steps and begin by cooking a large amount of chicken one night and dividing it intoseveral 4-6 oz portions to be refrigerated and eaten over the next few days

This journey is all about learning new behaviors.

good luck to you:bigsmile:
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If you want quick, you can buy the pre-made (plain/non-fried) whole chickens from the store. Then all you have to do is cut up what you want for your meal. Also, Bumble-Bee Tuna makes a Very Low Sodium tuna fish that has only 70 mg sodium and 30 grams of protein in an entire can.
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Nuts. The ultimate protein snack. And Peas, beans, most legumes in general have high protein.

Soy nuts are awesome for protein... 10g in 1/4 cup.
  • eonblue
    Options

maybe you can take baby steps and begin by cooking a large amount of chicken one night and dividing it intoseveral 4-6 oz portions to be refrigerated and eaten over the next few days

This is what I'm thinking I need to do. Cook in bulk. :) TY!
  • eonblue
    Options

This is what I'm thinking I need to do. Cook in bulk. :) TY!
  • eonblue
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions!
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    If you want quick, you can buy the pre-made (plain/non-fried) whole chickens from the store. Then all you have to do is cut up what you want for your meal. Also, Bumble-Bee Tuna makes a Very Low Sodium tuna fish that has only 70 mg sodium and 30 grams of protein in an entire can.

Careful about the pre-made chicken chickens - check the seasoning - some of them are either seasoned or injected with high sodium flavour enhancers.

I love pre-cooked frozen shrimp - especially baby shrimp. They thaw really fast under cold water and you can toss them onto a salad or in just about anything.

Here is some great info about the nutrition in shrimp - it packs a mean punch!
    http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=107