Any clean-eaters out there???

Options
Sooo, I'm recently new to the whole "Clean-eating" way of life. I've been at it for about 2-3 months. I'm always looking for new recipes or ways to be even cleaner. For example, my coffee is one thing that I just can't go clean on. I've tried it black- nope, tried it with organic half-n-half- nope, stevia- nope, even tried making my own- NOPE! Any ideas anyone?

Please "friend" me if you're a clean-eater too!

Replies

• mhig011975
    Options
    i tried too..... not for me
  • chill0315
    chill0315 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Coffee Creamer is the one thing that I was unable to let go of. So I still have my creamer.
  • essjay75
    essjay75 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my best-it's a process for sure, but I've noticed a huge difference in how I feel so I'm in it for life.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have about 1-2 cups of coffee a day and use the whole foods 365 no sugar practically no fat creamer along with coconut crystals (lower glycemically and calorically than agave), and I have been getting great results.

Also, you can get alcohol free vanilla extract and make it a vanilla flavored coffee. It literally comes out to 10-20 cals a cup of coffee with like 1-2 grams of fat and 2 grams of sugar from the crystals. No the crystals don't taste like coconut, they taste more like a mild brown sugar. I have not had any issues with it and I am a "no refined sugar" person.

I can't think of any other ideas right off the bat but maybe that would work.

Oh, plus I eat super clean but with all the flavor and taste etc. During the holday season I make an Oat Bran Apple Pie and Pumpkin Pie and a Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding. All low cal and low sugar. I do add 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with my warm apple pie slice with a cup of coffee for my holiday breakfast choice. My food plan is yummy for me and my tummy :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I prefer Hood Country Creamer in my coffee - I only have one cup per day, and that serving of Country Creamer I feel isnt going to hurt me.. after that, everything is 100% clean both at work (I work as a chef) and at home. Ive dropped 13.4 pounds in five weeks so I know Im doing it!!!! 8-)
  • KarenLipana
    Options
    I have no caffeine, no soda, no meat, no chips, no chocolates and no deep fried food since Feb2011.
    IM looooovin' it!:smile:
  • treehugginpam
    treehugginpam Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Clean eater here! Well, mostly clean...I still buy some packaged foods, but I make sure that they don't have too many ingredients and that they are all ingredients I can pronounce. :) If you haven't read it already, In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan is a great book -- it's what got me started eating clean.

I like my coffee strong and not too sweet, so I'm not sure if this tip will help you or not, but I like vanilla soy milk in my coffee. My favorite coffee is some great, freshly roasted stuff brewed in a french press, and then I steam up some organic vanilla soy milk in this wonderful little gadget I got from amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LXY2HA

The steamed vanilla soy milk is usually enough sweetener for me, but if I want a little bit more sweetness sometimes I'll add some of the vanilla syrup they use at Starbucks. You can buy a big bottle of it from them for like $7, and it's surprisingly made with actual sugar and not much else; no high fructose corn syrup. It's not "clean," in the strictest sense since it's a packaged product and not organic, but the ingredients aren't awful so it's more like a "dirty clean." :smile:

If you're looking for some great recipes, this is my new favorite cookbook; I've been cooking out of it like crazy lately!

http://www.amazon.com/Peas-Thank-You-Simple-Meatless/dp/0373892403/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319560791&sr=8-1

Hope this helps!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I like my food like I like my women. Dirty and bad for me.
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your comments! I'm currently using CoffeeMate's "Natural Bliss" Sweet Cream- Oh my! It is soooo good, and just nothing can compare! BUT, it has sugar in it :-( This just may be the one thing that I can't give up on? I hate that I'm wasting about 140 cals/day on it, so it is definitely my vice!