Question for those on 1200 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• veryblessedmomof2
    Options
    I just read this and This is me, Granted I have only been doing this for 5 or so days but Yes I find I am over many days. If I stay on track when I work out right after I have the shakes, I have to something right away. Any ideas on this one? ( Note I posted a post just last night asking for pros and cons on something and got attacked for it So I am really taking a leap of faith that I just ran into some bad apples, and not everyone is like them last night) Please if you are going to attack me please Don't. Thank you have a great day everyone.
  • clairabell2024
    clairabell2024 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Try porridge in the morning, its a slow releasing carb so fills you up for longer! I manager a decent portion for about 200 cals and thats with a teaspoon of suagr too! Plus porridge oats are really cheap to buy, about £1 for homebrand for a huge bag!!

xx
  • clairabell2024
    clairabell2024 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I just split my calories how I feel each day so it changes slightly.

I have a spreadsheet for this (OCD is fun!)

Over 5 weeks I have had the following breakdown;

Breakfast: 315
    Lunch:357
    Dinner: 493
    Snack: 86
    Exercise: 175

My friend uses a spreadsheet too, its all singing all dancing!

Im the same with calories, i dont stick to a certain amount per breakfast, lunch and dinner!

xx
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I budget with my calories and eat whatever i want. cant be doing with low fat crap and fad diets i eat real food, because you need fatty food and real food to burn off the calories. in the past 4 week i've lost 9lb in weight and i dont see why i should cut out my favourite foods out, just eat in moderation, measure weigh foods and equal portions out. it's worked for me. Whatever Calories I have burnt i have eaten back and left some.
  • jlfink
    jlfink Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also on 1200 calories... It gets easier the longer you keep to your limit. Exercise helps too. For me, when I exercise, I am more aware of my caloric intake. I don't want to mess up all the work I just put in. Even if you just do some simple calisthenics on your lunch break, it will help. Something is better than nothing. You don't have to burn 300 calories every day. Sometimes I only burn 75 calories, (on days that I can't seem to fit in my regular exercise) but like I said, it's better than nothing. I've done stretching, crunches and modified push-up's in parking lots, random grass areas, my living room floor... anywhere! To keep to my calorie limit, I also plan my dinners for the month. That way after breakfast, I can input the rest of my calories for the day. Lunch is usually leftover dinner from the night before, and since I have a menu scheduled for dinner, I know what I will be eating all day. String cheese is my favorite snack! It's only 80 calories, and usually takes the edge off... especially if I'm drinking lots of water. Iv'e been on the weight loss journey for about 1 1/2 years and have lost 50 pounds. I'm 7 pounds from my goal. It can be difficult at times, but so worth it!! Good luck, and keep up the good work!!
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I split mine up as follows most days:

Breakfast- 230 calories - 8:00 AM
    Snack- 90 calories - 10:00 AM
    Snack- 100 calories - noon
    Lunch- 200 calories or under - 1:00 PM
    Snack- 100 caloires - 3:30ish PM
    Supper- 450, plus whatever extra calories I need for my 1200 for the day, calories - 5:30ish PM

I walk 25 mins a day- taking my dog walking, plus do a cardio 10 min workout on youtube- I don't always eat back my workout calories, but some nights I do.

My Supper almost always has lots of protein which keeps me from getting hungry or wanting to snack in the evenings.

This I have found works for me- good luck!
  • megsie25
    Options
    Hey hun, I have heen on 1200 cal for awhile now your more than welcome to have a look at my diary, it seems to be working andarely work out at all. (Obviously I'm not encouraging it but I have three young kids and i am flat out)

For snacks I have

Forme no fat yoghurt in
    Sticky date pudding
    Classic cheesecake and
    Apple pie

They are about 75cal a tub and yummy

Or for savoury I have beef jerky (biltong)
    For a large stick 30g its under 100 cal and fills me up because it takes so long to chew.

I hope this helps hun and good luck :)
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I am trying to work on more cals at breakfast based on the Eat Clean principles. It's tough, but I'm finding it helpful and easier to stick to my limits. So all I'd do is reverse it-more cals during the day, fewer in the evening/dinner time.

I find that when I eat whole, real food I am full faster and stay that way longer than when I eat processed stuff.

I also aim to have a glass of water or tea before I eat, when I first feel hungry. Sometimes, I'm thirsty. Sometimes, I'm hungry, then I go ahead and eat, but at least I've "checked it out" first. I'm having to re-learn to trust my body and it's signals, after I've ignored them for so long.

It's a process-and I think you are on the right track.

Be kind to yourself.

:smile:
  • madisonsteelex
    Options
    Try switching it around.
    Breakfast should be AT LEAST 350. The bigger the breakfast the less hungry you are through out the day. Lunch around 400, depending how big the breakfast, dinner 400-450. This should help keep you fuller through out the day
    and if you're exercising, you can eat those calories so you don't have to worry much about going over or being hungry later
  • chinadoll725
    chinadoll725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ditto, you really should eat more often and taper your cals down throughout the day, not eat more at the end of the day, IMO.
  • beckie4442
    Options
    I am on 1200 a day you're welcome to look at my diary, I haven't even thought about splitting the calories up during the day I just eat when I'm hungry mostly low cal stuff. Good luck, feel free to add me as a friend! :happy:
  • mom2ajnsz
    mom2ajnsz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    100 snacks under 100 calories . . .

½ cup fresh blueberries 45
    1 sesame breadstick 42
    3 cups plain popcorn 23
    1 whole ripe tomato or ½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes 33
    1 small banana 81
    5 saltine crackers 60
    1 medium apple 80
    ½ plain bagel (small 2 oz) 83
    celery sticks (10 small) 20
    frozen juice bar 75
    1 large dill pickle 15
    1 medium orange 77
    1 cup puffed wheat cereal 43
    1 hard boiled egg 81
    ½ medium grapefruit 38
    1 cucumber 10
    1 cup vegetable juice 50
    ½ English muffin, with 1 tsp. Peanut butter 95
    1 ¼ cups whole strawberries 60
    2 oz. water packed tuna 70
    1 string cheese stick 72
    1 medium ear corn on cob, dusted with Creole seasoning 80
    1 small baked potato 80
    ½ cup stewed tomatoes 36
    1 whole fresh peach 37
    1 slice whole grain toast 85
    1 cup skim milk 90
    6 oz. non fat, sugar free yogurt 86
    7 medium fresh shrimp 70
    ½ cup fruit cocktail, in own juice 60
    ½ cup red raspberries 41
    8 dried apricot halves 60
    ½ cup raw cauliflower 14
    1 medium tangerine or 2 small clementines 37
    1 cup green tea with 2 tsp. sugar 30
    17 fresh grapes (frozen for a hot weather treat) 52
    10 almonds 70
    ½ cup apple cider 58
    1 cup cantaloupe cubes 48
    2 Tbsp. dried cranberries (Craisins) 45
    2 cups watermelon cubes 84
    50 small pretzel sticks 60
    ½ cup pineapple chunks, in own juice 64
    1 cup fresh cherries 65
    3 dried, orange flavored prunes 60
    ½ cup Corn Bran cereal 82
    1 cup grapefruit juice 65
    ½ cup gelatin 82
    1 cup gelatin (sugar free) 16
    ½ cinnamon raisin English muffin 75
    1 cup minestrone soup 83
    8 baked tortilla chips with 3 Tbsp. salsa 93
    20 peanuts 90
    ½ cup raw baby carrots 25
    ½ cup low fat cottage cheese 70
    3 graham cracker squares 80
    3 oz., "kiddie size" frozen yogurt (96% fat free) 78
    1 cup Cheerios 88
    1/3 cup vegetarian baked beans 78
    6 pieces Melba toast 75
    1 ounce honey turkey 32
    4 Hershey kisses 98
    3 dried whole dates 68
    ½ cup sugar free pudding made with skim milk 80
    ½ cup fat free refried beans 80
    8 animal crackers 90
    1 cup tossed salad (mixed lettuce greens,cucumbers,carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, etc.) with 1 Tbs. dressing 83
    1/2 cup split pea soup 67
    2 small plums 60
    15 Teddy Graham crackers 82
    2 Tbs. hummus spread on 1/4 pita pocket bread 93
    ½ large red, yellow or green bell pepper, cut into strips 20
    5 Saltine crackers 60
    1 small banana 60
    2 Tbsp. Sunflower seeds 90
    1 small baked sweet potato 59
    2 Tbsp. raisins 60
    1 fig bar 53
    4 Brazil nuts 93
    2 pieces Wasa crispbread 50
    1 medium pear 98
    6 oz. calcium fortified orange juice 84
    ½ cup three bean salad 90
    1 sugar free Popsicle 20
    20 pistachio nuts 70
    3 gingersnaps 89
    2 Tbs. light cream cheese, on 2 medium celery sticks 67
    ½ cup corn flakes with ½ cup skim milk 98
    ½ cup oatmeal, 73
    30 Goldfish crackers 70
    ½ cup vanilla ice milk 92
    sugar free hot cocoa mix, made with 4 oz. skim milk plus water 95
    1 medium kiwi fruit 46
    1 oz. jalapeno jack cheese 90
    1 frozen pudding bar, not chocolate covered 80
    ½ cup Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal 80
    1 oz. Canadian bacon 40
    2 Tbsp. soybean nuts 97
    ½ grapefruit 37
  • Laineegrrl
    Laineegrrl Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ^ awesome!
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Something that helps is drinking tons of water, when I get hungry between meals I make sure I drink a glass of water first, and the hunger goes away.. I don't even snack anymore, I burn around 230 cals, so I have more calories for my bigger meal (In my case it's lunch).
    A great snack are fruit, they keep me full and are so low in calories.

Completely agree on all points. I was having the same problem with being hungry most of the day. I increased my water intake(which also increases metabolism and weight loss) to 8 8 oz cups per day and the hunger almost disappeared. I now only eat my three meals and a snack of fruit in the afternoon. I usually snack on grape tomatoes or grapes with an occasional apple or orange sometimes I'll bring in some raw broccoli with some low fat ranch as well.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is usually 150-200 cals
    Snack 100 cals
    Lunch 400 cals
    Snack 100 cals
    Dinner 400 cals ( maybe 50-100 more?)
    Workout and burn 200-300 cals
    Dessert if I'm feelin it after workout 150 cals

I usually net just at or beneath my 1200 goal even without exercise. :)
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, sometimes two or three days out, for the same reason. It also helps me make out my grocery shopping list.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Why do you log your food intake the day before? You should do it immediately after each meal, that way you can keep better track and have a daily goal to work towards. My usual break down is 300 calories for breakfast and lunch and 600 for dinner, dinner doubled for the same reason you give.

I do a fiber rich cereal in the morning with skim milk, because fiber and protein keep you feeling fuller longer. For lunch I do the same, usually Greek yogurt and an apple. In between I try to drink at least 32 oz of water because water also fills you up and tricks you into feeling full. You may be mistaking your thirst for hunger if you don't drink enough fluids throughout the day.

For dinner, I always have 4 oz. protein (chicken or fish), healthy carbs (brown or basmati rice, quinoa) and veggies (anything green mainly, i stay away from bright colors here, like corn or carrots because they have a lot of sugar). The veggies take up 50% of my plate. Always make sure you are measuring what you eat, because people are prone to underestimating what they are putting in their mouths.

I go hard at the gym as well, just to be safe. I do 45 minutes of cardio, plus i walk to/from the gym and and to/from work. I also do weights 3 times weekly. I started dieting on 5/9/11 and so far I have lost 35 pounds. Keep up your hard work and you will see results!

I pre log all my meals to have an idea of my calorie intake for the following day and see if I need to change anything before I eat it. Logging after the meals just makes it easier for me to go over my calories for the day.
  • Debseaylockett59
    Debseaylockett59 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me it's easier, to eat a lighter calorie breakfast. For lunch I have a Lean Cruisine, Michelina's, pizza mini's, whatever I choose, 400 cals or less. But WHATEVER I choose to eat for lunch... I MUST BURN THOSE CALORIES OFF!!! NO MATTER WHAT!!!.. Thinking like that I won't over-load my calorie intake, because I don't want to be on that Treadmill an extended amount of time.
    If you burn off your lunch those calories can be added to dinner and snacks, and still be under your 1200 calorie intake.
  • TXBlonde81
    TXBlonde81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Looking at my diary from the past 2 days which is pretty typical of how I eat my calorie breakdown is:

250-300 calories for breakfast (normally consisting of some of the following: orange juice, yogurt, banana, oatmeal, egg mugs)
    400-450 calories for lunch (normally frozen food or salad plus 1 cup grapes, 1/2 pear, baby carrots or cucumber slices with fat free dressing)
    200-400 calories for dinner (normally a protein, carb, and salad mixture. Tonight fried rice and fish sauce ~ 220 calories)
    200ish for snacks throughout the day. This rises and falls based on activity/exercise and if I need to eat another fruit or vegetable for the fiber and sugar pick me up.

I think it really just depends on what you like to eat and when. Also just changing a few ingredients or the proportions of ingredients in your recipes can shave off a ton of calories. For example I HATE mayo with a passion but I like Tuna sandwiches/melts. So I put in the bare minimum mayo needed and then add double the spicy mustard for taste and keeping the sandwich together.
  • newarkco05
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! Just to reiterate, for those who mentioned switching my meal intake around... I mentioned in my OP that Dinner is the only meal I have with my fiance and I prefer that I am able to having a decent meal with him.