Salad for Breakfast??

Options
Currently, I'm reading "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. A non-fiction book about ultra runners and their training methods. McDougall consults with nutritionist Dr. Ruth Heidrich who suggests eating a salad for breakfast.

"Salad in the morning helps your body rehydrate after a night’s sleep, can provide full days worth of antioxidants and vegetables for the day, and gives you slow burning carbohydrates. I feel satisfied after eating but not overly full – perfect for a run.

I start with spring mix; add a layer of spinach and top with the bagged broccoli slaw – that gives the salad nice crunch. Then depending on what I have I will add snap peas, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and peppers. I usually sprinkle on sunflower seeds or nuts and then top with something a little sweet – chopped figs, craisins, dried cherries, or even fresh berries or grapes. I prefer a sweeter dressing – my favorites are Lilly’s Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette and Brianna’s Mandarin Ginger dressing, both available at local supermarkets. If I am planning a long run then I may add extra protein – chopped up hard boiled eggs. I haven’t tried beans – for some reason that doesn’t appeal to me in the morning.

Unintentionally I think it helped me lose a few pounds – I seem to eat less at lunch as a large salad makes me feel full longer. I can’t say it has improved my running performance, but it hasn’t hurt."

I haven't tried this yet, but I am intrigued. :smile:

Replies

• jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Interesting I generally prefer a higher protein and carb filled breakfast. I usually go for 7 grain hot cereal with peanut butter toast.
  • Marcel7
    Marcel7 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I may go ahead and try that.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I normally take a whole bag of spinach, sautee it with garlic and add tomatoes and whatever else I have (leftover grilled veggies are the best) and top it with a few poached/fried eggs. I might add some meat.

It's a warm salad and delish. It does keep me full well into the afternoon.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Have to say, I can not think of anything less appealing than choking down a salad in the morning! Each to their own though haha
  • socialite1
    Options
    Thinking about eating a salad for breakfast would make me not want to get out of bed in the mornings lol. But that's interesting. I'd like to see if anyone else has tried this.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. I eat how I feel so if I had a craving, a salad for breakfast wouldn't bother me. I like veggies for breakfast anyway, often adding spinach or broccoli to my eggs.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Salad is possibly my least favourite thing in the world. Since I'm not a morning person this would probably make me never get out of bed.
  • vtgirl77
    Options
    I drink my Shakeology. It has everything a healthy salad does and more....it's deemed as the "healthiest meal of the day" If I don't, I usually have 4oz protein and 2oz carbs, mainly 1 egg, 2 white and whole wheat bread/toast....keeps me full and going all morning
  • linsky1
    linsky1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :wink: I love salad but don't really think I could eat it first thing in the morning, but saying that I never tried could be a new experience I suppose. Anybody got any good ideas for a real healthy breakfast besides porridge....
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    re: Linksy
    Yogurt is an awesome breakfast! With fruit or granola or anything else you can think of, it is my breakfast standby for much of the year!

I could probably dig on salad for breakfast...in fact I know I have in the past! It is not so bad. ^_^
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Currently, I'm reading "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. A non-fiction book about ultra runners and their training methods. McDougall consults with nutritionist Dr. Ruth Heidrich who suggests eating a salad for breakfast.

"Salad in the morning helps your body rehydrate after a night’s sleep, can provide full days worth of antioxidants and vegetables for the day, and gives you slow burning carbohydrates. I feel satisfied after eating but not overly full – perfect for a run.

I start with spring mix; add a layer of spinach and top with the bagged broccoli slaw – that gives the salad nice crunch. Then depending on what I have I will add snap peas, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and peppers. I usually sprinkle on sunflower seeds or nuts and then top with something a little sweet – chopped figs, craisins, dried cherries, or even fresh berries or grapes. I prefer a sweeter dressing – my favorites are Lilly’s Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette and Brianna’s Mandarin Ginger dressing, both available at local supermarkets. If I am planning a long run then I may add extra protein – chopped up hard boiled eggs. I haven’t tried beans – for some reason that doesn’t appeal to me in the morning.

Unintentionally I think it helped me lose a few pounds – I seem to eat less at lunch as a large salad makes me feel full longer. I can’t say it has improved my running performance, but it hasn’t hurt."

I haven't tried this yet, but I am intrigued. :smile:

have u been reading my log? sounds like the salads I usually have.:laugh: I don't think I'd have 'em in the morning though.