On the road...

Options
I'm actually writing this post for my mom. She is a flight attendant and has recently started her profile on here. She is having problems staying under her calories because she is always traveling. Does anyone have any ideas of healthy travel meals? Remember she spends most of her time at hotels so no where to cook! Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

Replies

• Patrich1
    Options
    Try the "East This Not That" resturaunt guide.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I often have the same problem.

Many restaurants now either have calories on the menu or easily accessible so pre-planning's useful. Other things I've got into the habit of doing include; asking for dressings on the side of salads, eating vegetables first (ask to not be cooked in butter), avoiding starters.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    As someone who travels a lot, and has various food issues, a couple thoughts - search for a grocery store near the hotel (often they are around) they often have pre-made salads and whatnot, and if not, a bag of lettuce and some accoutrements can be quite tasty. Celery and hummus is another favorite of mine - or carrots as they handle being out of the fridge better. Food bars are another option: Larabars are pretty good, come in a variety of flavors and have ingredients I know what are. (Nuts and seeds too! Small and good for you!)

A TON of it comes down to patience, and willpower. Free breakfast does not mean I NEED that croissant. ...And sometimes it means eating weird things for various meals...salad for breakfast, etc. If she is feeling really stuck, be aware that if you ask, a lot of hotels have a fridge/microwave you can use.

The big one for me is always having something with me that I can eat. That way I never feel trapped, and if I get too hungry I have something to keep me from going totally off the rails.

Good luck!