Best way to measure your tummy?

Options
I am one of those people who carries a lot of weight in my tummy area so I want to be able to see the actual results of my weight loss in that area most of all. I am trying to rely less on numbers on the scale because it's sort of silly. So I always measure around the belly button, but I was wondering- do you get more accurate/consistent measurement results if you are sucking your belly in tight, or by relaxing the muscles and "letting it all hang out?" I seem to get mixed results sometimes. Do you find there is a better way of the two or does it really even matter??

Replies

• gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    I let it all hang out!! I won't breathe out to be bigger or in to be smaller I just try relax, get it done as quick as possible (it's soo painful to see!) and that's it really!

I think sucking in and pushing out will give you wrong measurements.

Will watch this though to see if I'm wrong! I'm wrong alot
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I try to just stand in a relaxed postion and measure at my natural waist which is about belly button level. The best way to get accuracy is to measure at the same time, day and area. I measure about 10am on my weigh in day. I only measure once a month though and weigh in every tuesday. :smile:
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I just relax. It gives me a more accurate measurement.
  • Skeith5
    Skeith5 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really matters as much if you are always measuring it the same.

I would measure it how it normally is. If you walk around all day sucking it in then measure it sucked in. If you are more relaxed during the day and it hangs out a bit measure it that way.

I think the most accurate way might be to get a set of body calipers. It'll pinch the fat no matter what you are doing!

Scott
  • Babzl1957
    Babzl1957 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi,I have the same problem that my weight is all in the tummy area. When I measure I just stand as I do normally as this is how others see me. I couldn't walk around holding it in for long lol! I know you may measure a couple of inches smaller but its best to keep it natural I think x
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    Always relaxed...

About where to measure you have two options:
    1) belly button
    2) minimum circumference with the tape on the horizontal plane
    3) midway between the lowest rib and the iliac crest. (ideal)

The 3 seem to have the same validity when relating to cardiovascular risk... use the one that's easier for you

PS: i use #2 because makes my ego feel better
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Alright, most of you guys are saying to just relax, which is what I've been doing. I think I may be getting different results because I've been using my boyfriend's tape measure from his toolbox... Those things are HARD to use for measuring, I think, so I bought a soft measuring tape from the sewing aisle :) Hopefully it works out better.