exercise ball

Options
hello,
i bought a exercise ball today, but i dont know any excercises i can do on it, does anyone have or had one and have any ideas. plus what would i class it as in the exercise part on here

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I do Crunches on mine... You can sit on it instead of a chair to get better balance I know that... Uhm... I'm sure there's plenty of exercises for those if you just look it up...
  • brookiefbabyy
    Options
    hello!

one of the best things that I have learned from a book I have to do with an exercise ball is wall squats. Stand with your back to an open wall and put the exercise ball in between you and the wall and then lean back on it slightly. Then do squats with the ball there..the ball rolls with you easily and helps you keep good form while doing the squats!
  • kerriavr
    kerriavr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few things you can do on an exercise ball. Crunches, bridges, walkouts, weight training .... the list goes on. Here's a website that gives some workout suggestions: http://www.exerciseballworkouts.net/
  • mmensah
    mmensah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    it should have came with a DVD mine did
  • marigold77
    Options
    Check here: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness
    They have some really great -- free downloadable PDF workouts.

Good luck!
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    There are lots of excerises you can do with an excerise ball but I can't help myself; Why would you buy an excerise ball and not know what to do with it? I'm sorry......... I guess the most common excerise is using the ball to do ab excerises such as crunches. Lots on youtube to give you more ideas.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I got a book from the library on it. You can also find examples of exercises on the ball on the internet. You can do alot of ab work...like crunches. You can lay on your belly and roll forward and do modified push ups. You do a lot of core strengthening using an exercise ball. I've worn my heart rate monitor when I have used my ball and it never burns many calories...it is more for core strengthening. Just sitting on it with good posture and watching TV instead of sitting on the couch (I bounce) or sitting on it at your desk/ computer instead of in a chair tightens your core. Believe me, you will fee like you aren't doing much...but the day after you can feel it! I hope this helps.
  • caroline1685
    caroline1685 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    thankyou to everyone and your help, i bought it because i knew a few exercises that i could be getting on with untill i forund more and now i have more ideas thats great. thanks.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Why would you buy an excerise ball and not know what to do with it?

That was rude! For the same reason anybody starts something new! So they can learn! Geesh!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I do my crunches on an exercise ball because of my back, but I've found that it isolates my lower abs better than doing crunches on the floor. Just watch your form--don't curl your chin to your chest. You can also do squats against the wall, as someone else mentioned, and you can "hug" the ball and do squats; both help your form.

I'd say no matter what exercises you find, the most important thing is to watch your form. Doing a bunch of exercises the wrong way won't help you, no matter how many you do. If you have a local college, someone in the athletic department might be willing to assist you and show you how to do them correctly. There is a lot you can do; my sister is a ballerina, and they do "ball" class. Some of the things they do I'd never dream in my wildest imagination, but they are impressive! It's great for building strength and balance.
  • LisaLashesxx
    LisaLashesxx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    this post has boosted me to get my ball out of the garage and dust off the cobwebs........might even try zumba on the wii, the kids have it on now.....lol

Good luck with the ball. keep me posted.x

Lisa x
  • tifftaffy
    tifftaffy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have one DVD that uses an exercise ball- and I love it! Liz Gilles (I think that's her name)- Pilates & Ball Workout. It is set up with three 30-min workouts.
  • jmsouth5
    jmsouth5 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    There are quite a few things you can do on an exercise ball. Crunches, bridges, walkouts, weight training .... the list goes on. Here's a website that gives some workout suggestions: http://www.exerciseballworkouts.net/

Wow, this is great! Thanks, soon as Im not sick any longer, I'll be using this a lot!
  • UNCWcutie
    Options
    Does anyone know how many calories you burn using an exercise ball??????
  • Inspired2run
    Inspired2run Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've used these exercises before and they were easy to follow. There are also beginner, intermediate and advanced workouts.

http://www.exercise-ball-exercises.com/
  • Inspired2run
    Inspired2run Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've used these exercises before and they were easy to follow. There are also beginner, intermediate and advanced workouts.

http://www.exercise-ball-exercises.com/

Thanks! I checked out the site and it's great! I'm following a DVD now, but wanted to see more options.