Paleo eating 30 Day Shredder!

Options
Hi everyone! Just saying hello! I'm on my second week of my health and weight loss journey and am feeling great. I've been poking around her a bunch and finally decided to join so I could start tracking my calories and participate in the forums. As the subject line would imply, I'm following a paleo diet (which is making me feel amazing) and doing JM's 30 Day Shred 5 to 6 times per week (which is making me feel even MORE amazing).

Please to make your acquaintance !

Replies

• justimmy22
    justimmy22 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was under the impression that you don't count calories when you do the Paleo diet?
  • anthonysig
    anthonysig Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do paleo too and have never felt better. Can't believe how quickly fat sheds off.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am just starting paleo. I have a bunch of food though here that does not all in that category. I need to use it because I cannot afford to just throw it out. But will be buying only paleo as I do my shopping from here on out.
    Nice meeting you all.
  • jesustapdancingchristy
    Options
    I was under the impression that you don't count calories when you do the Paleo diet?

I've been doing paleo/primal eating for a little while and don't really count my calories. But sometimes when I'm eating something more elaborate than hardcore paleo (eggs/veg/turkey bacon for breakfast; salad with chicken fore lunch; salmon and veggies for dinner; all cooked in coconut oil/pastured butter), I'll log in to MFP to see how my carbs are looking. I have my diary set up to just show carbs/fat/protein and I use it when throwing together meals and I'm not sure if I can have x, y AND z in one day or if that'd be crazy. That sort of thing.

But I don't pay much attention to the calories. I'm generally under (when I do look) since I eat very filling foods and don't really snack.
  • holzjw1482
    holzjw1482 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on a doctor supervised plan that lasts 16 weeks but I am very interested in transitioning over to a Paleo diet when I'm done.
  • carriann2012
    carriann2012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    what is Paleo eating??
  • jesustapdancingchristy
    Options
    what is Paleo eating??

Here's a nice summary of FAQ: http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/paleo. It's a way of eating (and living sometimes) that is based off of what our bodies are meant to digest and what we need.

From the link:

"Paleo" is short for paleolithic, and refers to the Paleolithic Era of human evolution, from approximately 2.5 million years ago until about 15,000 years ago. This time period spanned between the first invention of stone tools by early hominids, through the evolution of anatomically modern Homo sapiens, and ended at the invention of agriculture. The period which began at the invention of agriculture is called the Neolithic Era.

To put it simply: the Paleolithic Era is what formed our species. Evolution is a slow process. Our species had a leisurely 2-3 million years to adapt to our environmental niche. The invention of agriculture, only 10-15,000 years ago, was a very sudden and dramatic shift in diet and environment for many human cultures. Foods like cereal grains (wheat, rice, barley), legumes (beans, peanuts) and dairy not only appeared, but became dietary staples, when earlier they would have been rare to nonexistent. Genetically, we are still the same species we were 100,000-500,000 years ago, but we no longer live the way we used to. It should not be surprising to see problems emerge from this upheaval: we have not had as much time to adapt.
  • carriann2012
    Options
    what is Paleo eating??

Here's a nice summary of FAQ: http://www.reddit.com/help/faqs/paleo. It's a way of eating (and living sometimes) that is based off of what our bodies are meant to digest and what we need.

From the link:

"Paleo" is short for paleolithic, and refers to the Paleolithic Era of human evolution, from approximately 2.5 million years ago until about 15,000 years ago. This time period spanned between the first invention of stone tools by early hominids, through the evolution of anatomically modern Homo sapiens, and ended at the invention of agriculture. The period which began at the invention of agriculture is called the Neolithic Era.

To put it simply: the Paleolithic Era is what formed our species. Evolution is a slow process. Our species had a leisurely 2-3 million years to adapt to our environmental niche. The invention of agriculture, only 10-15,000 years ago, was a very sudden and dramatic shift in diet and environment for many human cultures. Foods like cereal grains (wheat, rice, barley), legumes (beans, peanuts) and dairy not only appeared, but became dietary staples, when earlier they would have been rare to nonexistent. Genetically, we are still the same species we were 100,000-500,000 years ago, but we no longer live the way we used to. It should not be surprising to see problems emerge from this upheaval: we have not had as much time to adapt.
  • carriann2012
    Options
    Thank you :drinker: