food that you never thought you would like?

Options
A few years ago I would've stuck my nose up at these foods but now I can't get enough of them!

grapefruit
green tea
seeded bread
healthy vegetable soups
oats
pita chips
hummus
raw veg

all that i can think of right now!

Replies

• gailosborne
    Options
    cottage cheese for me!
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
    Avocado
    These are the 2 things I can not get enough of and 10 years ago I wouldn't even touch them.
  • thinkingthingirl
    thinkingthingirl Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I used to be a vege phobic and now i cant get enough of them :)
  • prwthomas
    prwthomas Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My neighbor and I decided to split a weekly share from a local organic farm. I've tried things I would normally pass up at the grocery store! My new favorite under this topic is the leek. At first I didn't know what to do with it, until an friend at the gym told me to slice it really thin and "frizzle" it in olive oil until it's crispy. Use it as a salad topping. I never knew how that would change my whole perspective on salads. It truly is flavorful, and I actually look forward to a good dinner salad whereas I used to dread stuffing it all in.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Aubergine.
    Tinned mackerel.
    Muesli.
    Protein powder.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My neighbor and I decided to split a weekly share from a local organic farm. I've tried things I would normally pass up at the grocery store! My new favorite under this topic is the leek. At first I didn't know what to do with it, until an friend at the gym told me to slice it really thin and "frizzle" it in olive oil until it's crispy. Use it as a salad topping. I never knew how that would change my whole perspective on salads. It truly is flavorful, and I actually look forward to a good dinner salad whereas I used to dread stuffing it all in.
    Leeks are wonderful and one of my favourite veggies. Sliced and cooked with mushrooms, chicken and peppers as a stir-fry, curry, stroganoff or caserole... absolutely wonderful. :tongue:

The one food I used to detest but now love is olives. I can happily munch my way through a pot of mixed olives either on their own or with Feta cubes, roasted peppers, etc. Also love chopped olives in bread, although not had any olive bread in ages.
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese for sure!

The first time I tried it, I called my Mom and asked her why she never told me that cottage cheese was so good~ she wanted to smack me!
  • marzahl68
    marzahl68 Posts: 201
    Options

Also great as a substitute for onion in pretty much any dish.
  • Milziemooxx
    Milziemooxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Sushi....

I used to turn my nose up at Sushi, but all the girls in my office eat it all the time and I have started to enjoy it more and more. I think vegetable sushi is the best with soy sauce... mmm! :happy:
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bananas. I used to love them when I was young, for a while I hated them but now I eat them often.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Mum was Irish so she killed her food twice, once with a gun, and once with the stove, according to Dad! I would not eat spinach after being forced to eat the miserly grayish green lump on my plate. Now I love it both raw and properly steamed. I also love kale, something the husband and I bought on a whim after joining this site in June and seeing how many people love it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Brussel sprouts

As a child I'd never had anything but frozen brussel sprouts steamed. I hated them. I still do. But one of my very favorite foods in the world is fresh Brussel sprouts roasted. On lot of days I'd pass up pizza in favor of them. It's like a totally different food than when they are cooked in water (steaded or boiled).
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Green eggs and ham.....
    I told Sam I didn't like them....
    Then I tried them.
    Now I like them.
    Oh how I like, green eggs and ham...
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    olives
    mushrooms
    broccoli
  • weendee
    weendee Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Squash & sweet potatoes! (But not with sugary gunk on it!)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal.

A few months ago just thinking of it turned my stomach. Now I can eat the hell out of them and don't need anything in it for sweetness. Just straight oats. Not sure why.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Squash & sweet potatoes! (But not with sugary gunk on it!)

Agree!! Sweet potatoes are another thing I grew up thinking I didn't like because EVERYONE in my area puts some type of sugar on them (brown sugar, maple syrup, or marshmallows). But I love them when they are not sweetened.
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    steel cut oats
    greek yogurt
    plain brown rice
    quinoa
    beets
    radishes
    lemons for my water
  • msterlitz
    Options
    bok choy, brussel sprouts, and chia seeds are three foods that I would have never tried before starting to eat healthy, but now I love.