I need suggestions on how to spend my exercise calories...

Options
So I got a little carried away this morning and ran/walked 10 miles in 2 hours (Im 6'5" and currently around 325 pounds). After I input the information into MFP, it told me I needed to eat 5430 calories today to stay on pace for a 2 pound weight loss this week. Now, I've been averaging a little over 3 pounds of weight loss a week lately, and I usually eat between 2600 and 3000 calories a day, but I don't think I want to put over 5000 calories into my body today (I would feel really sick if I did). At the same time, I don't want to create to big of a deficit that I begin to get run down by not fueling my body properly. I have 3740 calories left for today, and normally would eat about 1000 more between dinner and snacks. Anybody have any creative suggestions on how to handle such a situation? BTW, interesting fact - I normally don't drink water during a workout, but I was completely parched by the end today -- turns out I lost close to 10 pounds!!

7980302.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    nuts or cheese you dont have to eat much. They pack alot of good calories in small doses
  • YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    First of all, way to go! You're obviously working hard and had a great day of exercising!

I'm not an expert but I would think that for this one day if you didn't eat alot of those exercise calories back you'd be okay. As for ideas I would think more fruit, or popcorn, maybe some nuts or trail mix. Yogurt and granola are a favorite of mine too.
  • tiggerbounce411
    tiggerbounce411 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    DO NOT eat your exercise calories, I don't and I have lost steadily 3 pounds a week. Why would you eat back what you worked off already? I say don't do it. OR only eat half back. I switch it up to keep my metabolism from plateauing. Every few days I will eat half my exercise cals and it has worked great so far.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I would think that for this one day if you didn't eat alot of those exercise calories back you'd be okay.
    I was gonna say this, too. You won't go into starvation mode in one day. But wow, congrats on such an amazing weight loss!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    One day with extreme numbers isn't going to hurt. It's chronic over/under eating that ultimately hurts.

In your position I would maybe have a super-ultra-mega-deluxe protein shake (just throw in the works - bananas, milk, whey, peanut butter....). Or maybe some sort of treat like a pizza or a cheeseburger and fries.

Funny thing.. on those high burn days I almost invariably end up OVER-eating because I feel like I have a free pass to pig out all day. Oh well :)
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you're not trully hungry, I wouldn't force myself to eat. If you are hungry, then make a healthy choice but don't force yourself to eat.
  • sunshinekind
    Options
    Anything high in protein and good fats is what I go for. An avocado in slices, an apple with peanut butter, some almonds, I really like peas sauteed in olive oil and garlic... basically any of these. There are lots of options.
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Why not make a lean bolognaise sauce and have pasta but be careful about eating too much high fat food.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and/or cocoa roasted almonds.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    bacon cheeseburger with avocado......ok just kidding!

Just eat healthfully untill you are full and yeah drink that water to rehydrate!

sounds like you are on your way to some great weight losses, keep it up!
  • maniv01
    maniv01 Posts: 12
    Options
    I too suggest keeping it light on the food intake. You don't want to eat something heavy so you can close deficit gap. Your stomach won't appreciate it. I've been there and done it and I tell ya, it doesn't feel good. Drink your protein shake, add fruits and nuts and/or almond butter to it to make up the calories. Great job on the 10 miles in 2 hours, another 3.1 miles and you would've done a half marathon.
  • jcearth
    jcearth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! Thank you - I can eat that by the spoonful, but I always stay away because of the high calories.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Great work, both on the run and the diligent tracking!

I am partial to grilled hot wings, with a dab of ranch of course, when I have a ridiculous surplus of calories to spend. Generally, the higher calorie foods that I don't often get. But truly, for one day a modest cal deporvation will should not impact your recovery as long as you get your protein in.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    In your case it won't hurt to carry say half over to the remainder of the week. Think weekly average more than day to day.

You should plan for when this happens again. I'm sure you enjoyed your walk/run, it may happen again. Buy a box of high protein bars. I get the Premier Nutrition 30g protein bars at Costco. After your exercise, when your appetite is suppressed, eat one, in addition to your food. Get some protein back into your system to replenish your stores. About the same calories as PB, but protein instead of fat. Or maybe do both, even better!

A joke was made about cheeseburger with avocado, but seriously, I eat an avocado or two every week. That is a fat source loaded with fiber. PB has 2g fiber in 2 TBSP. Half of an avocado has 7g fiber and can be added to salads, tacos, burgers, etc.
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER AND BANANA SANDWICH.....OH NOW YOU'RE TALKING! EVEN BETTER IN THE SANDWICH TOASTER......YUMMMMMMMMMY
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I would eat the same as always. If you are still hungry have a little more. I never eat my exercise calories. I can hardly eat my regular ones.
  • bnazarian
    Options
    I am concerned about a couple of things. Never let yourself get too dehydrated, it's dangerous because before it's hard to tell you are really dehydrated sometimes until it's already hurting you. Ten miles of running/walking in two hours is a pretty good pace, which means you probably can run pretty fast. You just need to figure out what foods to eat to compliment your athleticism. I would welcome extra weight loss in lieu of trying to keep your loss at a certain amount per week.

So if you are doing 10 milers, are you working up to a marathon or long distance running event? If not, you should, the ease in which you describe makes you seem like a natural. Most runner friends of mine who do long distance and burn thousands of extra calories every week - I do too when I train for a marathon - they focus on eating healthy but higher calorie foods to put back some of what they burn off (some of them are incredibly skinny). If you do that much exercise you need to fuel properly. I highly recommend you pick up a book on endurance running or nutrition for athletes. I had to learn how to eat differently when I began running a lot - putting back carbs into my diet which had been the enemy for so many years. You could eat more nuts, they are high in calories, good fats and good source of protein. You shouldn't go for pizza, burgers and beer like a lot of younger skinny runners I know. most of us old timers eat extra calories in the form of high quality foods like avocados, nuts, dried fruits, pasta with vegetable sauces and lean meats, protein shakes, Clif bars, etc.

That's exciting that you are liking the exercise and losing weight so successfully!