Higher Calorie Diets on a Budget?

Options
Hello!

At the advice of my fitness instructor, and on the recommendations of personal research, I am currently working to meet a target calorie intake of 1900 calories per day. I usually end up closer to 1700. I work out 5 days a week and my job falls into the 'light activity' category. I am not sure if this is too low (opinions on that are welcome, too ... I am at 223lbs / 5'8 ), but I don't feel tired.

The problem is, I purchase low-calorie foods, so in order to consume 1900 calories a day, I feel like I have to buy SO much food! My guess is that I'm buying the wrong things. I've started to try to pick up things like Banana Chips and 100 calorie packs of nuts, but in general, figuring out how to eat this many calories on a budget is difficult for me.

Does anyone have suggestions for planning a healthy, low-cost menu based on what I have said here? Perhaps my expectations of 'inexpensive' are unrealistic in this day and age, as I'd like to do this on no more than $60 a week, and less if I can.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Replies

• dablaksista
    dablaksista Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just come across 2 great websites to help you if you stuck on what to cook!

http://www.skinnytaste.com/

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=346932
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Get out of the low-cal mindset. Get real food and eat it in amounts that add up to your goals.
    Add calorie dense foods like nuts or oils if you have trouble reaching your goal.
    Whole milk is cheap and good for you.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    protein shake (whey) and toss in a banana. that will amp up the cals and protein.

almond butter.

almonds, walnuts, etc...but be careful, those add up quickly!!

TBSP of all natural PB
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    Try some natural peanut butter, soy nuts, granola mixes, hard boiled eggs, cheese cubes, full fat greek yogurt... I eat a lot of nuts, dried fruits, and hard boiled eggs... try to go natural, but dense calories for the amount.
  • Mavourneen19
    Options
    Instead of adding food why don't you look at replacing food you're already eating? Instead of low fat cheese as a salad topper, use nuts and/or guacamole. Instead of margarine for cooking, use olive oil. These are the good kinds of fats that pack in more calories and take out some of the processed but "light" foods you may be eating. Replace skim with 2%, have a banana with peanut butter for breakfast instead of a low cal cereal, etc. Good luck!!!!
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Take a look at my diary for some ideas. I have to eat about 2200 a day. Also, feel free to shoot me a friend request.

Some favorites of mine are Tuna and whole grain bread, whole grain crackers with laughing cow cheese, and fruit. Also, rice, potatoes, and chicken make great meals.
  • Sunrize1
    Options
    Skinnytaste a great website!
  • bbabs99
    bbabs99 Posts: 51
    Options
    Foods with healthy fats are your friends. Nut butters, Olive Oils, Nuts, Avacado, etc.
  • dablaksista
    dablaksista Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    which one?

oooh ok lol
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Top Ramen for lunch twice per week. Less than $0.30 per package, 380 carbohydrate calories.
  • ilyahna
    ilyahna Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Some really great suggestions, and so quickly! Thanks so much guys! I've been suspecting I need to lose the whole 'low calorie' mindset.
  • Halothane
    Halothane Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Definitely stop buying the low calories products and eat regular and real food. What kind of milk do you purchase? If you buy skim buy 1% instead.....go up a notch on your milk and that will increase your calories.
  • chubbychristianchick
    Options
    Top Ramen for lunch twice per week. Less than $0.30 per package, 380 carbohydrate calories.

EWWWW!!!!! Ramen is soooo gross it tastes bad and is nutritionally empty...
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

EWWWW!!!!! Ramen is soooo gross it tastes bad and is nutritionally empty...

Yeah Ramen always gets a bad rap. People are so wrong about it. Carbohydrates are nutrients. Sodium is a nutrient. My body needs lots of both.

380 calories in a package. 14g fat, 50g carbohydrate, 10g protein, 1820 mg sodium. If I don't get around double the RDA of sodium, I begin cramping after my bike rides. Until it was diagnosed, I had chronic muscle cramps. In the old days, football players took salt pills to offset cramps. Google "salty sweater" sometime.

If you don't like the taste, add Sriracha. Fixes it right up.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    One thing no one else hit on - don't buy "100 calorie" packs of anything - instead invest in a good food scale and weigh out your portions from bulk. Much cheaper and easy enough to package in bags, containers, etc!

Also, stock up when there's a good deal on food (like chicken breasts) and then freeze them until ready to use.

Finally, natural, unprocessed food will always be better for you so try and go that direction with nuts, seeds, butters (almond, pb, etc can all be made really easily at home with a food processor) and of course go up to 2% milk over skim and don't be afraid to cook with healthier oils such as olive oil and avocado oil.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I go between 1200 and 1500 calories and none of the foods I buy (other than my frozen yogurt) are specifically low calorie. Eat more whole foods and less of the processed crap that is labeled low calorie and you will find it's cheaper. Also, do some meal planning around your goals and then buy off of your meal plan. When I started budgeting and meal planning it was amazing how much I saved because I was only buying what I needed for my meal plans. Totally doable if you figure out what calories you want, how many calories your meals are and then only buy what is needed for your meals.....if you have high calorie needs and are buying lower calorie items you are wasting money.