is it just me or....

Options
I am not sure if this is the right area but....I look in the mirror and see a skinny me (64lbs down) but even though I'm looking at a smaller me I still see the fat me. I love not being in XXL shirt or even XXL shirts, I think I'm almost a Large shirt happy. But I still see the fat me. Its weird I can accomplish all that I've done and become but I still look in the mirror and see the old me.

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I go through that too. Then I look at my before and after pictures.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I often go through the same line of thinking.
    I KNOW the girl in the mirror is not the 230 lb chick that was there 2+ years ago but sometimes it's the only reflection I see.
    I walked around for a long time thinking that was also the girl people see when they see me. I am now learning to accept that that is not the case.

Good job on the weight loss. keep working hard!
  • JEWEL776
    JEWEL776 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always feel like that...75 pounds down and I still see me as fat...of course I still have about 80 to go. Maybe thats why!! LOL
  • mrsfoose
    Options
    I have that happen to! Some days I'm like "I look gooood" other days it's "why the heck is this jiggling like that?"
  • Tattoos_and_Tea
    Tattoos_and_Tea Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yup, this also happens to me. Ive now lost four stone and still cant see past the old me.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well! Just look at some old pics of yourself and then look back in the mirror. I think we start to pay more attention to our appearance after years or months of neglecting it and become over critical.
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i think it is normal to feel that way....but the mirror also makes u look different in size ...so cheer up ...u look awesome .:drinker: :drinker:
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I think it's perfectly normal for us to "see" and "feel" like the old US, even after we've changed. Look at your before & after pics, enjoy buying a smaller size shirt (or pants), take a good long look at yourself in the mirror after you get out of the shower. Really take in how far you've come. And give yourself TIME. It took time to change, it'll take time for you to feel "normal" in your new skin.

(I'm reminding MYSELF of all this, too -- I go through the SAME THING. Hang in there! You've done the hard work, now try to learn to enjoy it. It's really a body AND a mind thing.)

P.S. I can see a BIG difference in your photos in your profile -- you're doing a GREAT job!!!
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I get that too.... It really hits me when I am getting dressed... I hold up a pair of jeans and think to myself, "these are never going to fit! Look how tiny they are!" and then they fit! or sometimes are even too big!!!
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Always keep at least ONE pair of big pants around. Then when you feel that way put them on and watch them drop to the floor.... after laughing you will feel better about yourself.

Congratulations on such GREAT success you have had!
  • joshiesdad
    Options
    It happens to be every day. I guess after all of these years of being over 350 lbs it is kind of engrained in you that yo are the fat guy. I can see the difference when I look at pictures. they sure do help.
  • rayzerwolf
    rayzerwolf Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i still see the heavy me too, people are noticing my loss but some days I cant see past the old me.
  • timmypeace
    timmypeace Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    That is completely normal. Evem the skinniest person still looks in the mirror and see something different. That my friend is our minds picking ourselves apart. Eventhough we are perfect, we still find or see flaws. I do it as well.
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    We call it the "Fat Girl Syndrome"...:wink:
  • flabwillbefab
    Options
    I go through that too. Then I look at my before and after pictures.
    which are quite chocking!! well done!!!!!!!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I still gravitate toward larger sizes on clothing racks. Takes a long time to have it all sink in.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    As I review my goals this month, I ask myself the same thing.

My before and after photos don't always do it for me either.

A few things I realise:

1/ Got into this not to improve my appearance (which is outward and can become quite different due to circumstances), but MYSELF
    2/ Appearance goal ? Did I want 6-pack abs ? I've done enough navel-gazing to last a life time
    3/ It took me 47 years to come this far, at 95 I'm gonna be smoking hot (maybe a little wrinkly).
    4/ I should look over my own NSV's
    5/ I go over my blog about where I have come from, and where I am now and where I am heading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/gazz777/view/what-happened-to-the-old-me-149283

I am still learning to accept me, as a result I am starting to love the skin I'm in.
  • ToniAnn411
    Options
    No it is not just you!! I do it all the time... I've lost 70 lbs and love seeing the thinner/ healthier me, but I still do see the "fat" me. I try not to focus on that, but I think it's just in us, that's what we saw for so long.
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    before and after pics are key. Ihave one in my firdge and one taped to my bathroom mirror LOL
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I was just telling my husband the exact same thing last night. I still see the overweight me. I still also have a knee jerk reaction to cover up my belly with an over-sized shirt. But then I realize...I don't have that belly anymore. I can wear a form-fitting shirt and no fat shows. But my brain hasn't caught up to my body yet.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!