New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women Question

Options
I have done various weight lifting programs in the past (with and without a trainer) and I was looking to get into a more serious weight lifting program. I've seen several people recommend "The New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women" program and I think I'd like to try it.

My question is, as a woman who still has 100+ pounds to lose, is this something I should be doing at this stage or is this program better for people closer to their healthy weight and are trying to tone up? I've tried to read reviews on Amazon and people go either way. I'm just curious what women who've actually done the program think.

Replies

• Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    Personally I would start it now, that way you will build muscle instead of loose it, and you will be toning as you loose too
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    The lean muscle that you build will help you burn more calories. I have that much to lose and I love lifting weights!
  • NuMe46
    NuMe46 Posts: 128
    Options
    I agree with starting now. I try to do some weight lifting 3 times a week. I have also read that if you can do 10 - 12 reps with a certain weight you should up the weight to where you can only do 5 or 6 reps. and definitely don't do it every day. Your muscles need time to recover and heal.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    A good heavy lifting program has benefits at any weight and fitness level.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Start now :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "trying to tone up" I think there is serious lifters and pansies . . . I didn't realize that I was a pansy lifter until I started the program. Lifting heavy is good at any stage of your fitness.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm a great example of why you should start now! About 9 years ago I lost 70lbs (getting down to 223) doing nothing but walking and dieting, gained it back 2 years later. I started in January of this year for the last and final time getting this weight off...I joined MFP and signed up with an AWESOME trainer right at the beginning.

70lb journey
    took 10 mths
    got down to a size 20
    could only walk fast

Current journey
    have lost 84 (down to 239) in the last 10 mths
    am now a size 16 (and I'm 15lb heavier then the last time)!
    I can run a 5k, do regular push ups, do assisted pull ups and have strong, sexy legs :blushing:

Start now!!!
  • rae_mayer
    rae_mayer Posts: 226
    Options
    Thanks eveyone! That's what I was thinking but I saw several reviews saying that it's not for people that have 50-100 to lose. That got me a little concerned. I still think I'm going to buy the book, read it over and go from there.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Thanks eveyone! That's what I was thinking but I saw several reviews saying that it's not for people that have 50-100 to lose. That got me a little concerned. I still think I'm going to buy the book, read it over and go from there.

If you can fit it in to your schedule along with a good cardio regimen, for sure do it. Budgeting your time is key here, just like your financial budget and your calorie budget.

The overall goal should include sustainability. Can you sustain your eating plan and your exercise plan indefinitely? That would be advantageous. Fine tuning along the way is inevitable, but too many people see diet and exercise as a temporary means to a permanent end. If you can't sustain a lifestyle change permanently, work on tweaking it until you can.

Take for example using MFP to track calories. There are thousands of people who are no longer trying to lose weight but are still using MFP to track calories, and they see it as a permanent change to their lifestyle.
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My story is similar to yours and i've just started strength training recently. It's awesome, I feel so strong and it really melts the inches...the scale, not so much.
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    very informative. thanks for posting!