Work through the pain?

Options
I have been doing the elliptical 40-45 minutes a day, three to four times a week. Yesterday I added the 30 Day Shred to that. My legs are killing me today. Do I continue the 30 Day Shred and work through the soreness or wait a day or two? I really am wanting to do the 30 Day Shred in 30 days...just wondering what everyones opinion is. Thanks!

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    If it hurts to work out, don't do it. You risk injury, and that would be awful! If it's just mildly uncomfortable I'd say go for it. Give your body a rest, you worked it harder than it's used to working so you'll need to let it recover.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    it's my opinion, and practice, that if you're THAT sore, you should take a rest day (or two - sometimes that 2nd day can be worse). If you're in pain, your form wil be way off and you may end up hurting yourself more. Do your elliptical or go for a walk and then stretch really well after. Hope you feel better tomorrow!

ETA: Just wanted to add that it does get better once your body gets used to it! Good luck!
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Depends on the pain. If it's a feel good pain, I would go ahead and try to work out. If it hurts to move then it probably would not be a good idea. However, I am not a medical professional.
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If it's sore muscles, you should push through it in my opinion... if you are physically hurt then you should rest.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Recovery is a good thing. What you are experiencing is DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Drink lots of water.

When you are first starting out, most people we really feel it until they become more conditioned.

Also, you would probably get better results incorporating the HITT approach in cardio where you get just as much out of a HITT 20 minute cardio session than having to hang out for 45 minutes.

The HITT cardio I do is: 2 min. warm up, 1 minute high intensity, down for 2 min., up high for 1 min. - I repeat this until I get to the 18 minutes and that is my 2 minute cool down. The BFL (Body for Life) program applies this approach.

Lastly, you are executing a "weightbearing" cardio exercise. If you use a "non-weightbearing" - like an upright bike or recumbant bike, you won't feel the discomfort as much. But again, when first starting out - take up to 2 days of recovery and drink lots of water.

Good luck!
  • MsMuniz
    MsMuniz Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm not physically hurt, just sore muscles. It is a feel good pain for sure. :)

@MyCoachNYLA, thanks I will try the HITT approach!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Anytime you start a new fitness program of course you're going to be sore until your body gets more used to it. Give it a few weeks and then make your decision. Now of course if your pain is crazy bad and does not feel right then you should back down on either the intensity or the number or length of workouts.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If it's just soreness, push through. I remember when I was on college dance team, at the beginning of school each year we would start out with 2-a-days after a summer of sitting on my butt. I would get so sore, sitting down to use the toilet hurt. Hurt so good.... lolol!

Make sure you stretch and drink lots of water to lesson the soreness. Potassium also helps prevent cramps, which can develop out of soreness. Soaking in a warm bath followed by more stretching right before bed also feels amazing. Good luck!!