pumpkin recipes

Options
VeganInTraining
VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
My husband requested pumpkin pie made from REAL pumpkins, which meant I had to look up how to make pumpkin puree. Here's how to make the puree, what are any of your recipes that involve pumpkin (including various pies...I want ideas!)

Pumpkin purree:

Pick out a baking pumpkin (not a decorative one, they don't have as much meat and flavor.....I will be asking for assistance with this at the grocery store!) The pumpkin should be firm and make a thud when you knock on it. Feel around for soft spots and look for holes which indicate bugs.

When you get home, chop off the top of the pumpkin at the stem and cut pumpkin in half

pull out all the seeds and guts (you can save the seeds for roasting, YUM!)

Put the pumpkins either face up or down on a baking sheet and put them in the oven heated to 375 for 45 minutes.

When pumpkins are soft enough to pull apart with a fork: let them cool
peel off the skin (which should be easy)
chop it up and put it in the blender or food processor until it's at your desired consistancy

Puree can be used on the spot or frozen in ziplock bags for a later use

OK, here's the puree, what should I make with it?

Replies

• acaudill042106
    acaudill042106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I made a pumpkin cake for my little ones yesterday using fresh pumpkin...smelled awesome bu SOOOO much sugar. I'd suggest trying it in oatmeal or maybe pumpkin ravioli.
  • foodluver27
    Options
    Thank you..I have always wanted to know how to make a pumpkin pie from real pumpkin and have been meaning to look it up..that will be a goal of mine this fall/winter season..to make one :0)
    Oh and some site suggestions: allrecipes.com or tasteofhome.com...I am sure they have some great pumpkin recipes
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I made a pumpkin cake for my little ones yesterday using fresh pumpkin...smelled awesome bu SOOOO much sugar. I'd suggest trying it in oatmeal or maybe pumpkin ravioli.

pumpkin ravioli....what a great idea! YUM