Time to reach out!

Options
Hi everybody/anybody reading this :)))

I have been using MFP for a month now and haven't posted because I didn't need support - I was making ok progress and lost 4-5 pounds, but now I feel like I've started moving backwards as the cold winter nights are drawing in and all I want is sugar and fat!!

Is it normal to start off well and then to start struggling after a short while?

I suddenly find my cupboard full of sugary treats which I have fooled myself into buying by telling myself I would have the willpower to ration, but of course when you know something good is there in the cupboard, you just want to it NOW!

I have been doing Zumba twice a week and have now started a killer toning class too, getting a bike to cycle to and from work in a few weeks too, but it still feels like I'm not doing enough and the weight isn't coming off quick enough. I only wanted to lose 1 and a half stone but it's so hard I'm beginning to wonder how it was so damn easy to put it on in the first place :(((

Any words of wisdom from more experienced MFP's very welcome :)

Anna

Replies

• Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options
    The first kg you lose are mainly glycogen and water... that's why its easy. Now the real thing begins: you are burning fat! XD

Once losing weight is not the new thing you are doing, its easy to become more relaxed and start eating more junk... that's why tracking your food in your diary works! you need to persevere and to be careful!

About trying to ration snacks.... I've never managed to do so... so i only buy what i can eat!

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ayummymommy01
    ayummymommy01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody/anybody reading this :)))

I have been using MFP for a month now and haven't posted because I didn't need support - I was making ok progress and lost 4-5 pounds, but now I feel like I've started moving backwards as the cold winter nights are drawing in and all I want is sugar and fat!!

Is it normal to start off well and then to start struggling after a short while?

I suddenly find my cupboard full of sugary treats which I have fooled myself into buying by telling myself I would have the willpower to ration, but of course when you know something good is there in the cupboard, you just want to it NOW!

I have been doing Zumba twice a week and have now started a killer toning class too, getting a bike to cycle to and from work in a few weeks too, but it still feels like I'm not doing enough and the weight isn't coming off quick enough. I only wanted to lose 1 and a half stone but it's so hard I'm beginning to wonder how it was so damn easy to put it on in the first place :(((

Any words of wisdom from more experienced MFP's very welcome :)

Anna
    Forsure it is normal...make sure you are eating enough (so I have been told)...try and stay away from the treats or build in a planned treat. Don't deprive yourself...
    But I also think that I have lost weight in the past and then when I plateaued I cut calories...therein is probably where my mistake was. Gotta eat enough to support the workouts...then when you add muscle your body is more efficient at burning calories so got to make sure you're getting enough!
    Keep those blinders on.
    Lifestyle.
  • LMStark
    LMStark Posts: 150
    Options
    Welcome to the community! I first started thinking I could do it on my own as well. I like being involved, because it helps me stay accountable. Anyway, I think what you have been going through is normal. I have been watching my sugars closely. I generally don't bring home surgery/fatty foods because I don't want the temptation. If I do bring something home, I bring home one chocolate bar or one pint of ice cream - and I give my husband and I each one serving. That way I am not eating these types of food days on end. If I have a lot of sweets and fats around I always want more and more. Here is an article that one of MFP's posted. It helps put things in perspective as to how things add up.

http://www.fitsugar.com/How-Easy-Gain-One-Pound-Week-19064338
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Hi annastuff

I started out okay, then had an epic-fail-mega-blowout-weekend and haven't logged on here since (that was 2 months ago). I think it's natural to feel more lethargic, as the nights draw in and it gets colder. Good going with the cycling to work though... this is easy cals burned and saves money! I commute by bike myself and know that cycling doesn't burn nearly as much as running and other horrendous activities like that but it is much more fun :)

Good luck!
  • annastuff
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm very impressed with all the support around here!
    @ LMStart - I have just one more large mint aero in the freezer and then I can breathe easy!
    @ sittingduck76 - I hope you're going to start logging on again now and don't let the weekend splurge get you down, I think it's probably the same for everybody else, especially those like me who likes a glass or two at the weekend and still wants to have some dinner!
    @ yummymummy0 - thanks for the advice, I have definitely been eating ALL my calories this week lol.
    @ uerzer - yes, burning fat aint easy, I have to get rid of those snacks quick! Thanks for the add btw :)
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    @ sittingduck76 - I hope you're going to start logging on again now and don't let the weekend splurge get you down, I think it's probably the same for everybody else, especially those like me who likes a glass or two at the weekend and still wants to have some dinner!

Yeah, I'm starting again, as of Tomorrow }:)
    It was one particularly bad day that caused me to cease logging... Well, it was a friend's wedding and it seemed rude not to drink the free flowing champagne. 15 glasses later and then the beers started, whoops!

Have you started cycling into work yet then and if not - what are you waiting for?
  • annastuff
    Options
    Have you started cycling into work yet then and if not - what are you waiting for?
    [/quote]
  • annastuff
    Options
    woops - getting the hang of this quoting stuff...

'Have you started cycling into work yet then and if not - what are you waiting for?'

Waiting for the cycle scheme at work to buy me a new bike - might take a few weeks!
  • Ant_M76
    Options
    Ahhh, gotcha. The scheme is not as favourable as it used to be but still like getting an interest free loan that comes right out of salary - not bad!

Good luck with the commuting... you will love it :)